Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

8 weeks out of a PLIF with Lam and trying not to get down:(

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey everyone, its me Polly. I have been doing fairly well but I am still having a really hard time with getting up after sleeping or staying still too long.....It almost feels like my back is breaking;(

Any advice or should I just suck it up and deal with it,LOL

I have been walking alot and I feel good while I am walking but afterwards is bad;(

I have not been able to afford the PT yet;(

And I got the bill from my 4 day hospital stay and just about fainted!!!
advertisement

Comments

• I'm 11 weeks out from ALIF. At 8 weeks, I started back to work, but OMG I've been sore and tired. My insurance has covered 6 PT visits and my doc had me going to them at 5 weeks, I went 2 times per week. They did help with my tightness and leg weakness.

I'm like you, when I walk and get past the small amount of pain, then I'm good to keep walking, but afterwards, I have hip (saddle pain) and sometimes nerve zaps down my legs.

Everyone keeps telling me that it takes 3 months to feel "normal" and up to a year to be completely healed up.

I have DDD and arthritis and bad facet joints and still have a large bulge on my L3/L4 that has been with me for 3 years now. Plus, knee spurs too. They fused L4/L5.

Please don't get discouraged and you need to keep walking. I have only had one day so far (last week) that I didn't have pain, then I'm back to a deep ache. It's not like I was before though, so I'm thankful for that.

Hang in there and check the net for some leg stretches/hamstrings that you can do lying down. I think you can do your own PT if you want to try. They basically had me doing a lot of stretches, riding a bike, and standing up and lifting up on my toes...all like 20 times each. The rest of the visit was a tens unit and heat pack for 20 mins.

Good luck. We will overcome this! It should like we are where we should be, even though I thought I'd not be having pain after surgery. :(
  • Have you told your dr.that PT is not affordable for you? Ask him if you can do an evaluation visit with the PT and then have a detailed home program. Or even agreeing to go once per week with a home program, at least it is something.

This is what we arainged for my brother. He is 27 years old and has a movement disorder like parkinsons, they want him to go to therapy 3 times per week. His copay is $40 each time. He is on disability and cant spend $120 per week, it just isnt possible.

I cant speak for your exact pain, what does your dr. say about it? I am 4 weeks post PLIF and dont have any issues getting up, mild burning is about the most I have once I am in a position for to long. Once I walk more than a couple hundred feet I have increased pain. But everyone is so different.

I hope you get some answers.

Take Care,
    Shell
  • I was wondering how the heck you were doing. I completely understand. I try to walk everyday- but it hurts me to walk about 50% of the time. I try to put on a lidocane patch and one of my old braces (my NS didn't send me home with one), and take meds right before walking. Also I have to take very small slow steps= large ones kill me.

I had to have xrays and blood tests a few weeks ago bc/I was in terrible pain :D . I came to the conclusion that I had over done it and it was mostly muscle pain.

I see my NS on the 25th- the first time since I left the hospital and I will be getting new xrays as well.

Are you still taking pain meds? I am. I did start cutting back in the evenings/night time.

Soft hugs >:D<

Julie
  • Are you taking any muscle relaxers? My NS said that after any back surgery that our back muscles are upset along with the nerves that have all be disturbed and will clinch up tight, causing more pain, while they are healing.

Also, my xrays didn't show any fusion yet, so my own theory is that some of that "breaking back" feeling is the hardware against bone, with the nerves and muscles and tissue inside us still being "raw" for a better word.
  • Polly, any chance you can get into a warm pool such as at a YMCA. Just walking in the warm water is sooo soothing and good exercise too. I walk forward and sideways, stretch my calves and hamstrings on the wall, go up on my toes and heels, and then float on a noodle and bicycle my legs. I am skipping the leg lifts and such for now that I used to do pre-op. My copay for aqua pT was $20 a visit, so $60 a week. So it is much cheaper to join the YMCA for $45 a month. Just a thought, of course always clear any exercise with your surgeon first. I too am still having pain, mostly low back, SI joint, but also aching down legs at times. Hang in there, this is just a very long, slow recovery, >:D< Sue
  • Thank you guys sooo much:)

Julie, I am sorry you are still hurting;( And yep I am still taking Percocet...only 2 a day so I have cut way down...

No muscle relaxers....I had X-rays done at 3 weeks after my surgery and my Doc told me that I looked excellant....I had more done than I thought;( I found out from him that both of my lower discs were gone before my surgery....no wonder I hurt;(

I dont drive so getting to the Y is a little diffecult but I might try it out;)

I know that if we stick together we can get through this;):)

I love you all..my Spiney friends;)
advertisement