Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Don't know if this is bad or not...

LoLLo Posts: 694
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I've never really had this feeling until now, but I was laying in bed and it felt like the circulation to my right leg (which is the one I have sciatica in) was cut off. My foot felt almost numb... No pins and needles.... I thought getting up and walking around would fix it but it hasn't changed it at all. It feels like there is pressure and the circulation is cut off... from like, my knee down.

It almost reminds me of the feeling I got when they gave me the cortisone injection into the disc area.... When they touched the nerve, It felt like someone was cutting the circulation off to my leg, but more pressure than this, and more like someone 300 lb man was laying on my leg or trying to take it off. Lol.

This feeling isn't as severe as that... But it sucks... I don't know what to do to make it go away... I'm scared to stretch and stuff cause the other day I bent too far forward and felt something in my back give, and then had the worst pain ever from my back down to my foot...Posted about it that day.

Anyway, anyone have any suggestions?

advertisement

Comments

• It sounds to me, since you state that it feels like it does when you get and injection, that the nerve root is being compressed or in a new way. The injections pressure the nerve, and all can do is surmise that the way you are lying down is doing something similar.

I had very similar sensations prior to my surgery, and still have a numbness in my left quad -- that's permanent now I believe.

I would suggest that you try differing pillow positions and heights to see where it begins to feel the way you described; also try lying on your side and in a fetal position just to see if it replicates.

When it foes go numb on you, have someone else feel your feet and see if they are roughly the same temperature. There is also a pulse called the distal pulse on the inside of your ankle right around the round ankle bone. There normally is a strong pulse there just like your wrists.

As I always say, if it is new and you can reproduce it, tell your doc so they can document your case well.

Best of wishes,
  • Thank you very much :) Very helpful information!!!
  • It sounds to me like you are getting yourself more and more nervous and doing less and less as a result. Inactivity can exacerbate existing problems.

What do you do during the day?

"C"
  • i have constant leg pain and raising my leg helps apparently when lying down with your legs raised open the gaps where the nerves leave the spine or so i heard it works for me try two pillows in a pillow case under your knees or ly in fetal position in bed on the side you feel most comfortable this also opens the siatic spine
  • Thank you for the suggestion :)
  • Nah, I actually do more in the past 6 months than I had the year prior to that. I've been out of work for a year and a half. I still take care of my son, run errands, clean, take care of my cats and snake, etc... Nothing has changed activity wise...

It's a new pain that I have and new numbness which never happened until I bent too far that day and felt something give in my back. My Neurosurgeon's P.A. just called me back and he asked me to see if I stand on my heels. I thought, what the heck? But I tried it anyway... My left foot lifted off the ground... And my right foot only my toes lifted MAYBE half an inch. It was like it was paralyzed. Weird. So they're sending me for another MRI and called some steroids in for me, and some pepcid to help my stomach with all the meds. They're awesome there... They get right back to you and start the process of referrals or tests right away.
advertisement