Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I am leaning towards surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello again, I just first want to say thank you to all of you for your feedback it really helps. I feel kind of like I am all alone in this because although my friends and family can sympathize with me they do not know what I am going through. I know you do. I have noticed just in the past few days my pain has gotten much worse. I have been out on medical leave since friday and maybe it's the resting that is doing it but that is what they told me to do. I have come to terms as difficult as it may be that I am probabley past the point where something like cervical spinal decompression would benefit me. I am afraid if I wait too long and investigate that, not only would I be waisting $3500 but my surgery might need to be more extensive. I cannot believe the pain I am experiencing now. I keep thinking that it could not get much worse but then it does. My arm is getting weaker everyday and feels almost like it is not even attached to my body like a dead limb. I know it's not dead or detached because it continues to scream at me with pain.My neck pain is the only thing that supercedes it because it screams louder. I fell down some stairs about 5yrs ago and got rear ended on the freeway in the same week I am not sure which is doing this to me or niether but :S :S I have had neck pain off and on for the last five years but it always went away and was never like this. Im scared and I know that fear will only paralize me. It is after 1am and although I pray for it sleep does not come. I need your advise I really like the surgeon I met yesterday do you still think I need another opinion. I work for a hospital and they say he is good. All the surgeons are in one office so if I see someone else it will be at the same place, just a thought I guess. I am sorry to be going on it is just that my head is spinning. Do you think I am making a good descion? I will check back in the morning I am going to go lay in bed and maybe the medication will bring sleep. thanks again. Sunshine :S
advertisement

Comments

• Hiya, >:D<
    Welcome to spine health. Personaly i do think hospitals do tend to look after there staff. If you want a second opinion cant you go to another hospital? I am not sure how it works where you are . Good Luck to your up and coming surgery. Keep us posted! :)

Angie x
  • another opinion well i guess that's up to you. many people get more than one or two opinions before they decide surgery is the right thing to do.Personally i found my surgeon and he was the first one i saw. I was told he was the best in the area and when i met him and talked to him i knew he was the right guy. Good luck with your surgery
  • Many hospitals that have a staff of neurosurgeons, meet and discuss cases and get a collective idea or agreement on how to approach the surgery. It's quite possible this is the case where you are.

The question is, are you comfortable with what this surgeon has told you and recommended to you? Do you trust this surgeon?

Remember as with everything in life, you only have today. You can plan for the future, but don't plan the outcome.

I hope that you were able to get some sleep.

"C"
  • I'm so sorry you are having so much pain. It was that same level of pain you are describing that led me to have surgery. In most cases, they call ACDF "elective" surgery, but for me I didn't consider it elective. Only you can decide when you reach a level of pain that you can't continue functioning, and once you reach that point, then surgery is often a reasonable answer. You may have said in a different post, but could you tell me what the surgeon is suggesting? Have you tried ESIs?

By the time I had surgery the first time around, my arm hurt so bad that I had tears often. Nothing would touch the pain, not even the different nerve pain medications that I tried. I continued trying to work, but it was to teh point that people could see how much pain I was in when I was at work, and even clientelle would comment on it and tell me to go home. I am one to hide my pain, but the level of pain was so severe that I didn't do a good job of hiding it. It was so nice to wake up from surgery and immediately have the arm pain gone. I had other issues, but the surgery did decompress the nerve root that was causing me so much pain.

Is it the right choice for you? Only you can decide. I would suggest always getting a 2nd opinion, because maybe there is something being missed that a 2nd set of eyes would see. Check out all of your options before making a decision. Also, be sure to get a very experienced surgeon who had done many many of the exact procedure he will be doing on you. Spine surgery is not without risks, but isn't it wonderful the advances that have been made so that surgeons can help to give us back some quality of life? Good luck to you.
    Cindy
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • :SS Hello again. Just to bring you all up to speed. The surgeon wants to do a spinal fusion on C4-5 and C5-6, he wants to put in cadaver bone where he takes out the 2 hernaited disc. He wants to attach a metal plate from C4-5 to C5-6 with screws to stabilize the area. He will shave off bone spurs from C4 while he is in there. Now doesn't that sound lovely? I thought so too! After the shock wore off and I did some soul searching I came to realize the bottom line is I do not want to be in pain anymore.The surgeon offered to let me talk to his patients that have had this same procedure, so I have requested contact info and am waiting to hear back. Today I will be going over to the chiroprators office to try this spinal decompression for free...to see what it is like. I am pretty sure I am beyond that but I want to see what the fuss is about. I will let you all know about the interviews and procedure later. I do not know if I trust anyone at this point.I thought I trusted my chiropractor but I think he is steering me wrong on this treatment, perhaps it is just mis-guided concern. I cannot say I trust the surgeon I do not even no him but I liked his demeanor and he really listened to me. He gave me options and one of those options was to not have surgery but then I will still be in pain so it is not really an option. I dont know I am still so confused i do not want to do the wrong thing!!! :S
  • I am not sure how to use this site so this is posted twice...Sorry

Hello again. Just to bring you all up to speed. The surgeon wants to do a spinal fusion on C4-5 and C5-6, he wants to put in cadaver bone where he takes out the 2 hernaited disc. He wants to attach a metal plate from C4-5 to C5-6 with screws to stabilize the area. He will shave off bone spurs from C4 while he is in there. Now doesn't that sound lovely? I thought so too! After the shock wore off and I did some soul searching I came to realize the bottom line is I do not want to be in pain anymore.The surgeon offered to let me talk to his patients that have had this same procedure, so I have requested contact info and am waiting to hear back. Today I will be going over to the chiroprators office to try this spinal decompression for free...to see what it is like. I am pretty sure I am beyond that but I want to see what the fuss is about. I will let you all know about the interviews and procedure later. I do not know if I trust anyone at this point.I thought I trusted my chiropractor but I think he is steering me wrong on this treatment, perhaps it is just mis-guided concern. I cannot say I trust the surgeon I do not even no him but I liked his demeanor and he really listened to me. He gave me options and one of those options was to not have surgery but then I will still be in pain so it is not really an option. I dont know I am still so confused i do not want to do the wrong thing!!!
  • Sunshine, be careful at this point with chiropractic procedures as it may aggravate or worsen your problem. Once my chiro discovered how severely dislocated my discs were before my first surgery he refused to touch me. Since then I have been told that chiro is out of the question as far as ongoing treatment and discomfort from muscle spasms. I had luck with acupuncture and really recommend that until you make up your mind to have the surgery or not.

PM me if you want any more information. But you're the only one that can make the decision about surgery. One surgeon told me: "When you are tired of being tired, and haven't slept a whole night, then you'll be back to ask for the operation." I was.

Good luck
advertisement