Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hospital Experiences?

HaylieCatOwnerHHaylieCatOwner Posts: 117
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I was wondering what people have experienced with their hosptial stays when they had surgeries? How would you rank them on a scale of one to 10? I would probably rate my experience a 6 or 7.

I have read posts here and have been extremely impressed at how courageous people have been with surgeries and MRIs. The MRI that I went through prior to surgery caused me more pain and (since it was my first) really made me nervous because of the noise and time it took. I have discovered I might be a wuss deep inside. I am a lawyer (when I'm not recovering from surgery)...and I thought I was pretty tough. I don't practice medical malpractice or health law, but I've seen the cases and I guess I was watching for "red flags" during my hospital experiences. When I went in for my pre-op testing, they had me confused and got me mixed up with another patient with the same name. I was also concerned because they didn't have a wheelchair I could use, and I ended up in intense pain after walking from department to department. The hospital is "physician-owned" and had an impressive website, but I was taken aback during the pre-op tests when the exam/testing rooms were worn out and dirty. The techs and nurses seemed to be in their own little worlds and not on top of things. Lots of documentation mistakes where they got things confused or left things off.

The actual surgery was a few days later. I like my NS, and felt confident in him. I only met the anestesiologist (spell?) for a few seconds. He told me his name and asked me if I had any major dental work, then left. The recovery room experience was scary, but I think most people have fear there. The nurses attending in recovery were not very conforting and actually argued with me when I told them I couldn't breathe and felt I was going to throw up. When I was moved to my room, it was a private room with a couch that pulled out (which was nice because my mother could stay). On my pre-op paperwork, I specifically asked for no visitors other than my parents. One of my friends came by in the afternoon, but I figured that would be it. Then at 10:30 that night, my ex-boyfriend showed up when I haven't seen him in months. I don't know how he knew I was there, much less what room I was in. The doors (except for Emergency) were supposed to be locked after 9:00 pm. It wasn't a big deal, he just came in and said "hi" and then I told him he needed to go. But security was a concern.

Most of the nurses and techs were just fine. There was one, however, who didn't seem interested in helping me use the bathroom (she left and said to buzz her when I was done. So I buzzed, but she didn't come back). Then there was a male tech with dredlocks who came in to check my vitals several times that night. He was a little too friendly, and it concerned me when he came back the second time wearing tons of cologne! I don't know what he was thinking. The biggest problem I had was the nausea from the anesthesia, which continued to the next day. Oh, and I hated the leg stockings they required I wear! Too small and my poor ankles were swolen. The nurses said there was nothing they could do. Overall, there were no major life-threatening problems, which I am thankful for.

Sorry for the long post. I am eager to hear about your hospital experiences. How would you rank them? How did you cope with it all? I may be facing another surgery, and I need to get my courage up.

Thanks,
Haylie
advertisement

Comments

• There is no perfect hospital, anywhere.
    I f I had to use the bathroom, I would not want someone standing there, but rather do as that nurse did, hand me a callight and ring when done. True she should have came back, but Im assuming a tech or someone did?
    As far a the male tech with dreadlocks, who knows. If you felt that uncomfortable, perhaps ringing the buzzer would have relieved your fears. Most medical facilities these days require a intense background check as well as police report, and most will check there certifications/licenses for sanctions.
    The little TED hose you are required to wear are for your own good. They help prevent blood clots, that if one breaks loose can travel to your lungs and potentially be a life threatening event. They are suppose to be tight n snug, otherwise they would be of no use. I doubt the swelling was from them... alot of surgical patients have post-op swelling.
    These suggestions are for your insight. Typically hospitals will send out questionaires, I would suggest that you voice your concerns there if you havent done so already.
    Take care.

• Hiya haylie, how are you feeling? . The Hospital where i had my surgery i would score about a 4, and i think i am being kind. The day i was admitted was the day before the operation. i was taken to my bed , there were 6 beds to this bay. The staff was not very pleasant at all , i was very nervous and no one gave reasurence. there was blood on the floor and on the wall the other end of the bay where i was. The ward i was on is an orthopedic ward, so there were open wounds. One of the women , who happened to be a retired nurse, kicked up a fuss about the blood, well cutting along story short the next thing they moved us all out to the day room. so they could clean the bay. The day of the operation i was woken at 5.30 in the morning to prepare for theatre, still no reasurence. After the surgery even though the siatic pain had gone i was in a lot of pain and upset , the nurse who came and asked what was wrong with me was very stroppy and it was about an hour before she finally gave me somthing for the pain . I was left on a bed pan for 2 hours. when i got out of bed to walk for the first time, it took me a long time to get to the toilet, when i finally got there , there was faeces on the floor and walls, the pt lady who was with me, started having a shouting match with the nurses, at this point i just wanted to sit down . I was just glad to get out of there . I can not believe there is so much filth in my local hospital, where bacteria is so high.Sorry for long post .

Angie x
  • Thanks for the good info. That's exactly what I am seeking. I want to be prepared if I have to have another surgery. I know the nylons are needed. These were too small though and were badly twisted. No one came when I buzzed after being done on the toilet; I made my way back into bed on my own. Our state doesn't follow up on background checks. IE: They randomly survey RNs about criminal convictions, usually every 3 years. I hope hospitals are more careful.

I know I may be overly sensitve and I am trying to work on that. I hate feeling so fearful.

Thanks,
    Haylie
  • But, I did have a great one, for one reason only -- I talked to the staff before I went!

Unheard of, I know, but at 40, I guess I am old school and like to know who has the the capability of doing me harm.
    Once I knew where I would be, I aalled to find out where I would be and then one day, just showed up and talked, like I had a relative there, and then left.

To my surprise, everyone knew me a month later and everything I asked for happened. I had a catherter, woke up, asked for it to be removed, was told the conditions, met them and it was out 3 hours after surgery.

I told them I would walk... period and I did and they reqraded me with the good stuff without even asking

I walked out of the hospital 36 hours after surgery... that was terrific; my own bed and bathroom and no middle of the night interruptions.

Anyways, just wanted to add.

Best of Wishes,

• Angie, I want to give you a huge virtual hug!! >:D< I hope you had someone with you during your hospital stay, at least part of it? I would have screamed if left on the bedpan 2 hours--talk about pain! And blood and feces! That hospital needs to be reported to the government! I am so sorry you didn't get comfort from the nurses. You must be a really strong person and I admire you for getting through all that.

Take care,

Haylie
  • Hi Haylie, I find this topic interesting as I am a nurse so I now have been on both side of the hospital setting. I would rate my experience and 8 out of 10. Granted I have an advantage because the staff there probably all knew ahead of time that I was an RN in the same facility. I had a pre-op appt a week ahead that took about an hour, they took my history, v/s, labs, ekg, and cxr. I did not know the nurse, but she was pleasant.
    I was admitted the day of surgery at 7:30 AM, my sis is a manager and got me pronto check in by going in the back door to admitting, yeah I am lucky! I then went to the immediated pre-op care unit and guess what, I knew my nurse, we used to work together on Pediatrics, so that was terrific and helped me relax a little. She started my IV and got me ready for surgery. I asked if I could have some Ativan or something for nerves and was told not until I speak to anesthesia in the OR area.
    At 1045 I was taken to surgery and met the anesthesiologist in the holding area. He asked about allergies, and surgeries, and said he would give me something later in OR #o . After a few minutes they pushed my gurney into the OR where that contraption called a Jackson table was. Still can't imagine how they got me onto that thing as it is the old style without any special flip the patient over feature. There was a nurse running aroung busy and then the anesthesiologist came in and I felt my IV burn. I asked him if he put something in it and he said yes. A few minutes later it burned again, and that is the last thing I remember.
    I woke up in the recovery room to another familiar face, a nurse I have known since I was 7 years old. It was such a treat to get her and I am sure it helped with my response to waking up from anesthesia. She promptly started my PCA (pain button), and then gave me 2 meds for nausea when I became nauseas. It seemed only a few minutes and I was on my way to my private room on the Neuro step-down unit.
    I was on this unit for 5 nights and I would say my care was excellent most of the time. I had to walk the evening of surgery with my brace on just down the hall and I was soooo dizzy. The nurse who was getting me up got an admission and left me sitting on the side of the bed for 30 minutes, ouch :''( . They stole my catheter at less than 24 hours after surgery and made me get up to go to the bathroom. They would help me get out of bed to the bathroom, then leave me there. I would call when I was ready to get to bed.
    There was also a crazy guy 2 doors down that would yell and bang on things. He has security with him at all times, cause I guess too many nurses got hurt trying to take care of him. I had a bad experience on day 2 when the PA said they would start me on oral meds, but not to worry that I would still have the PCA if I need it. Then the nurse came in with Tylenol #3 and said the PCA would be removed in one hour. I said I am not taking it, it is way too weak, I was on that before surgery already. I was in tears. She called the PA and got it switched to Norco 10, 2 tabs every 3 hours(what the surgeon had said would be ordered) and I got to keep my pain button for 24 more hours. I did have one nurse that seemed way too rushed, and took a few hours to get my new muscle relaxer to me. I almost called the pharmacy myself :)
    My hospital is a private hospital that services the county contract, and it has gone down hill in recent years, I think. I work in postpartum and our housekeeping service is lousy.(It is contracted out to a private agency who do a bad job). I took a can of Lysol in my suitcase and my sister sprayed down my bathroom and tables. Surprisingly this unit was much cleaner than where I work. I think they have less turnover, so less abuse has been done. There was something on the wall and the nurse called housekeeping who came right away and cleaned it. I hadn't even noticed it myself.
    The day after surgery PT came and helped me get up to walk, then OT came and showed my how to use the reacher, etc. The discharge planner ordered my walker and commode chair. After about the third day I pretty much got myself up and down, but had to call for help to disconnect the leg squeezers and to tuck my pillows. All my nurses were very nice and accomadating except for the rushed one. I asked and was told they each have 3 patients on this unit. Seems like they are well staffed as on Post-partum we have 4 mother baby couplets = 8 patients per RN. They also had two CNA's for the floor of 17 max patients. I think they are lucky, as are their patients.
    So anyway, I think I had great care in general. I feel sorry for those folks in England in the public health system, I haven't heard anything good about it yet :( .
    I am sorry I have turned this into my personal diary entry of my hospital experience (if anyone is still reading). :$ Sue

P.S. Haylie, MRI's are scarey as are cologne reeking techs ;)
  • u can read my comment under home after plif revision.
    im still very out of it.
    to rate my hospy i would give it a 9 everyone was awesome no matter what they wore, smelled like whatever.
    all that counted is i got the best of care.
    my concern is im in more pain then the first surgery and still tonight do not know whats going on.
    i never needed the commode the first time last year. glad i ghave it now. its TUFF.
    bigger incision different rules.

so hang in there each day will get better.
    and of course as u know common sense they can only keep u so long and on a pcp pain paup.

the percss r doing me in as i was on lortabs and i had no sleep since tues night.

well i will write more later i cannot focous right now.

THINK POSITIVE. CRY SCREAM BE MADE WHATEVER THIS RECVOERY IS NOT EASY..

lots of hugs
    terri
  • Hiya,
    My ex boyfriend was with me on some visits, and my daughter which i did not really want her to see me like that.I was home 3 days after surgery. I got in my house and i just sobbed . Its bad enough having that kind of surgery because your body is in trauma, and with all the medication as well, i was so emotional anyway. I just wanted someone to understand what i was going through , and understand the pain i was in . One nurse said to me i should not have any pain as they removed the disc that was touching the nerve, they took the next one to it because it had worn away, and they shaved one. She was right the pain down my leg had gone, but every where else i was in so much pain. They just carried on with the morphine (which i had to with draw from). >:D<

Angie x
  • I am shocked by what some of you experienced in the hospital. Mine couldn't have been better...wonderful staff of nurses and it was spotless. Never had to ask anyone twice for anything. My only complaint was that when the meals were brought to me, they put it on the table across the room and didn't offer to bring the table to me. The hospital was quiet, no staff or visitors talking loudly in the halls. I can't believe the conditions some of you mention...no wonder staff infections are so rampant!
  • Joy, that is so good to hear. Can I ask what state/country you live in??

Best,

Haylie
  • I'm in Richmond, VA. Great hospitals!
  • I really appreciate your info! It's great to see things through a nurse's eyes. Do you have any advice or tips for those of us non-medical people who may be facing surgery? Any DOs and DON'Ts maybe?

Thanks,
    Haylie
  • Haylie, I would say to make sure you always treat your nurse with patience and appreciation. Granted, there are times when care is lacking and patients are getting frustrated. But I know as a nurse, no one wants the complaining, dissatified patient. So even when it may be sucking, smile and say thankyou. You will get better care than offering up a lot of complaints. I read on here once a Spiney took bags of chocolate and offered them to all who entered her room, different approach, but I think it helps if your nurse feels appreciated. Nursing can be a thankless job at times, and nurses are getting pulled in all directions from their many patients. I took my nurses See's candy and a card after I was back to driving to show my appreciation. Anyway, just my thoughts, Sue
  • That is a great idea! I was sure to be nice to everyone who came into my room because I know from dating a male RN how much they have to endure. You all handle so much, and you not only put up with patients who are in pain and are venting all over you, but you also have to put up with doctors who aren't always kind or appreciative! Thanks again for a behind-the-scenes view of the hospital.

Haylie
  • Overall rate my hospital experience 9 out of 10.
    BTW,I'm also a medical professional(MD)have been practicing a surgical subspecialty for 25 years...however I was unfamiliar with spine disease and surgery until I underwent it!
    My procedure occurred at 7 p.m.It was not at the hospital where I usually work although I worked there from 1992 to 2000.
    So it was very quiet in the pre op and recovery areas.
    Pre op nurses were superb and helped relieve my anxiety as i had a long wait for surgery.
    My IPOD was very helpful in relaxing and made the time passage easier.
    Luckily I knew the MDA(anesthesiologist).His very youg nurse anesthestist skillfully inserted my iv...
    immediate post op care was very good.monitoring was performed attentively.
    I went to the floor to a private room.Don't recall much of the initial few hours there due to the iv morphine.
    what I'll NEVER forget was the extremely painful urinary catheter insertion!!!
    the morning shift nurses were subpar and forgot my request for relieving a very intense migraine headache.
    Overall it was more than I expected in quality.The ward is spine specific and there were 45 other spine surgery patients that day!
    I think such a super specialized facility dedicated to just spine surgery is the reason the experience and quality is so good.This is true in almost all other disciplines in medicine .
  • Thank you so much for your post! You provide a great perspective. Do you have suggestions or even pet-peeves you would share with us about patients and hospital staff? Also, what did you do/are you doing with your recovery time to keep your mind busy? The hardest part for me (lawyer) has been the down time where I can't sit for long and I tire so easily. As well as the anxiety involved before the surgery (and after).

Thanks,
    Haylie
  • Haylie:
    Well I've worked in hospitals for about 31 years and it would prob take a book to describe all but here are a few of my personal observations.
    most health care professionals I think are very caring and concerned about the patients well being.There's always the "bad apples"
    A lot of the problems arise when there is not enough staff available or when they are overtired from lack of sleep and support.
    It's hard to be polite when you are in pain but this will help the reaction you get.
    you should not hold back questions even if you think they are trivial.be honest and cooperative to the staff.
    Sometimes having too many visitors at once can be real disruptive to staff.
    Just my 2 cents....
  • Well I would rate my stay as 5/10. I definately got more sleep on the maternity ward 12 years ago. Before the op I was advised 1 in 30000 people become blind due to the position they lie you in on your front during the procedure, this really scared me so when I came round in the recovery room as I was on a lot of morphine everything was blurry, I could see outlines of things and colours and actualloy freaked, but finally the nurses reassured me it was the morphine and promptly gave me some more!!! Thn on the ward they gave me a bedpan, 20 mins later I buzzed them and asked if I could be helped to the toilet as felt I needed gravity to go, (I had a very full bladder at the time and was desparate but my brain didnt seem to want to engage with down below!!) they said I woud have to wait for Physio to come round and show me how to get out of bed, it roll out, so then 40 mins later Physio appeared at my bed, rolled me off and sat me on a commode with my curtains drawn round my bed!!! Was positive people would hear me, anyway, sat there for another 20 mins in pain while my brain started engaging with the rest of my body. Would have been nice to have had this explained to me. Then there was a woman on my ward with unknown diagnosis and she had been there for 13 weeks, as much as I felt sorry for her being in there all that time the nurse that worked the morning shift obviously had befriended her and whatever this patient wanted, the nurse would drop everything and get her what she needed, I did feel like a second rate patient in there come the end. They were always over half an hour keeping you waiting for your meds when you asked for them (bearing in mind I had held on with regard topain until it really hurt!!!) ~I was just relived to go home to catch up on my sleep in the end. Other than that I would like to say I think the nurses did the best they could, and I did appreciate them especially when I projectile vomitted in the bathroom after my body disagreed with some meds. Felt they were understaffed and had so much to do between so few of them during each shift. We had 1 Matron to 2 wards (each ward had 12 beds in it) and 2 nurses per ward also.
  • Now that I am a bit more with it then when I answered last night when I got home. I should of waited.
    I still keep my number as high.
    My surgeon was behind. I had three nurses trying to start IV's and keep me smiling. Finally by 11 (orginal time) I got a major headache and back pain. They rushed me asap to the OR holding area, where I was given dilidud and versad.
    Next I knew I was in the OR. I had a nurse come over rub my arm telling me all would be ok.
    I got to recovery. My only symptom was burning pain and nausea.
    They pumped me with nausea meds until it went away.
    Then I went to my room. I had a nurse in there every 15 min or so for the first few hours.
    I had a cath in so I did not need the bathroom. Plus a pcp so I did not need meds given to me every 4 hrs.
    Anytime I did need something as in ice, pillows, water they were there in 3 minutes or less.
    Iv learned over many of years that it depends on how much staff is on for the day/night. You would not believe how many people call in and are pulled from other floors.
    Even after the cath was out on Fri morning, they were right there to bring me to the bathroom and right there when I put the light on.
    They all let me take my time getting into bed. NO ONE pulled or pushed on me to get in faster.
    I even had a nurse add me to her myspace!! :D She was a doll baby.
    Even thought the hospital I go to is old, and needs alot of updates I have always been happy with treatment.
    Your always once in awhile get that nurse who has put to many hours in and is totally tired, or they are being over worked. It does happen.

So I hope if you ever go in again you have a better experience. Fingers crossed you do not.

Take care
    Terri
  • My hospital stay was pretty good. My surgeon recommended a private doctor owned hospital that opened a little over a year ago. Since I didnt have any other major health concerns this was his recommendation. The have an ICU, ER, MRI, etc. Just like the the big hospitals. I was about 3 miles from a region trauma center too.

The day I arrived I was 1 of 2 patients on the floor, with 3 nurses and an aide. All rooms were private with walk in showers, fold out bed for a visitor, LCD TV and cabinetry for all medical supplies. In the surgery suite I was the only patient of the day and was called to come in early if I could. Only 1 day were there more than 3 patients on the floor with the same 3 nurses and an aide. They said the most patients they have had overnight is 10. Needless to say, when I rang the bell they came promptly.

They were kind of clueless when it came to appropriate transfers and restrictions which made my doctor a little peeved. I am an OT and was constantly telling them what to do. The PT on call was great and quickly straightened them out. Food was made to order, lol. With me being the only patient most days I got what I wanted, not that I was hungry. I was very happy with the responses I got to questions and was constantly informed of changes.

Ok, yes, I think I got really spoiled!!!! I guess I lucked out. It means so much to be comfortable and cared for after such a major procedure. Thumbs Up to my hospital.

Any one considering surgery in the NE PA area feel free to PM me and I will tell you more.

Take Care,
    Shell
  • I can't say much as I have only been in a hospital Once for me and I would rate it a 9.I did check it out for its cleanliness and staff before going there.Food and late night staff was the only drawbacks. My NS does his own MRI's but I am horribly claustrophobic so I ask for some xanax or valium to get into the tube. It does cut out the noise and apprehension.Check these places out before you spend your time and money/ins.
    I am going in for L5-S1 Fusion In Oct. I hope this stay is as good as the first, but It may be longer.
    Good luck on your next one!
    RB in Indiana
  • Was also thru a nurse'e eyes. Just trying to advise why they might have done certain things. Even as a nurse, even though I know what will happen, we still get nervous! :)
  • (high fives Sue) Well said! I too am also a nurse, from Indiana.
  • I really admire you for being a nurse! What steps do you take to help insure a successful hospital stay? How do you handle being nervous? I think it would be great to have your background so you would know why the IV is beeping! (For example) And know what the drugs were and what the mdnight techs were doing... so many things.
  • I just had a PLIF this past Monday, and I would have to say I rate my experience as an 8. I was first on the surgery schedule for the day, so my hubby and I had to be at the hosp at 5:45am which meant we had to leave our house just a little after 4am. When we got to the hosp we had to wait in the main lobby for about 10 mins, before they were actually ready for us. Then a little more waiting before I was prepped. They took me up to what was my room, which was a private room with a tv, small sleeper sofa bed, big bathroom with shower, a sofa chair, and a regular chair, and a storage cabinet to put clothes in. I had several people come in doing their thing prepping me for surgery, and when I was ready they called my husband up, so got to see him for few minutes before I went into surgery. He was allowed to stay in the room as that was my room while I was there. I was awake all the way to the OR, and the last thing I remember is the anestheologist is putting something in my iv. I vaguely recall recovery. I had a pain pump with leads going directly into my incision to deliver numbing meds to it, boy that was nice. ;) I had a cath in until later that day, and I was actually ready for it to come out, I know some people would prefer to keep them in, for the convenience but not me. They were also giving me meds orally, so time was rather fuzzyy for me :O . I was gotten up out of bed later that evening for my first walk, and also use the restroom. I actually did several walks that night already. Any time I rang the nurses station, I was answered very promptly. My night shift nurse was competent but not overly friendly. My biggest problem I had there was on Tues., my ns had told me I would probably be released on Tues., so we waited and asked and waited and asked. Finally on one of my walks through the hallway we went by the nurses station, and my nurse told me that the ns assistant would be in to see me in just a short bit. She came in and told us she would have us ready to leave by rush hour traffic was too bad. =D> So Tues afternoon I was sprung :))( to go home.
    So here I am at home starting my recovery.
  • Hello all! :-C

My hospital stay started at 5:30a.m. with the pre-check. Went to a private prep room specifically for out patient surgery. While I watched television nurses came in to shave my back (lol funny I know), insert my i.v. My mother was allowed to stay with me in this room. Then my Dr. came in for last minute details, then the anethesiologist (sorry spelling) came in and spent about 15 minutes with me explaining what he was going to do.

At about 7:15a.m. I was rolled out of that room to the operating room. Boy was it cold in there! I commented to that fact, and the nurse immediately went and got me a very warm blanket and laid it over me. ahhhh :X The anethesiologist looked over my bed and said he was going to give me something to relax, then BAM! I was out! lol =))

I woke up in the post-op area at 9:45a.m. and was immediately asked if I was in pain. I wasn't in too much, just real uncomfortable so she gave me a shot of something. The surprising thing to me was when I woke up how fully AWAKE I was. I thought I would be groggy or something, but was totally wide awake. Wheeled to my private room at 10:30a.m. Given oral pain meds around noon, and given a hamburger and fries but the room was so hot that I couldn't eat a thing. Everyone who came into my room commented how hot it was, and thankfully after an hour in the room they brought me a portable fan! :X During the first few hours they kept asking me if I needed to use the restroom, which I responded nicely and jokingly that I was sweating everything out. lol.. they laughed with me and said they would keep a close eye on me. Around 2:00p.m. I finally went to the restroom. Talking about being sore getting up. Nobody helped me get up, nobody showed me how to roll or get up. Thankfully I had already learned the log roll etc... from prior P.T. visits. At 5:00p.m I went for my first walk around the floor, 2 laps, then I immediately asked to be discharged. Even with the fan, it was so HOT! :jawdrop: At 6:00p.m I was discharged and was home and in my own bed (with fully functional a/c) at 7:00p.m. Overall my experience was a 10 up to and including the surgery, then a 7 for the hospital room.

• I am in the land of OZ and I have to say I would give the Hopsital 9.5.
    My pre-op that morning was a bit rushed but OK as it kept my mind from thinking then the anesthesiologist came to see me and talked for the better part of an hour about all that was going to happen. He warned me that I may be swollen when I wake up die to the length and position of the op and that I would be in ICU and have a ventilator in. He was great and really helped me relese any concerns I had.

I dont recall recovery (my surgery was 12.5 hrs and finished at 1am) and woke in ICU with the nurse reminding me I had a ventilator in etc. I was VERY swollen and my bust had gone from a DD to a GG :))( Couldn't even see over them. My face, hands and feet were the same.(my brother didn't recognise me :))( ) I had drips into each hand my neck and into my heart area so was literally plugged in!
    Next day I went to my room which I called the Presidential suite as it was so large you could have fitted 3 beds in there and it had a plama TV!
    I had a few days on bedrest as I needed more blood and my BP was very low.
    The only problem I had was with one nurse who I suspect didn't wasnt to have a 'high dependancy' patient.
    Unfortunately I unexpectidly got my monthlies and she was really cheesed off about that - LIKE I HAD PLANNED IT. When she was giving me a bed bath, she 'accidently' pulled the catheter out :jawdrop: and boy did I scream.
    I asked for a different nurse and for the rest of my stay -10 days) everything couldn't have been better.
    Oh and the meals were restaurant quality.
    Both the Dr and anesthesiologist came to see me each day.

So there are great experiences out there, I have had my share of not so great ones too so I really relished this one.
    Sara O:)
  • Wow, what a day! I am so impressed with that. Remind us what type of surgery it was? Would you recommend doing it as a day surgery? How were you in the days right after? How are you now?

Best wishes,

Haylie
  • Hiya Terri,
    >:D< Its nice to see you are back with us. How are you feeling now ? I am glad the time that you spent in the hospital was a pleasant one. Thats just how it should be. I do personally know how a nurse feels, as i used to work in Mental Health. I do completely understand how over worked that career can be. Not sure if it is the same in america, but i used to work a double shift, i would start at 8am sunday morning, then i would work through until 8am monday morning. At times i would burn myself out.

Angie x :)
  • Hiya,
    Just to say welcome to Spine Health. Good Luck for the surgery in october. Keep us posted .

Angie x
advertisement