Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pre-surgical consult today!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well I had my pre-surgical consult this morning with my NS. He said he gives the fusion a 50/50% chance success rate. Not too great, but as my hubby said, "it is better than now - with a zero% rate if you don't do it." He is going to use a new "minimally invasive" procedure. I will be #3 for this procedure. He said it is less recovery and pain as he only needs to make 4 holes along my spine in the area (L4/L5), 2 on each side. He said I am a perfect candidate for this as my MRI is very clear. I will have hardware forever. Which is kind of scarey for me. No brace. 2 nights in the hospital. Has anyone had this type of surgery? I was hoping for a better success rate, but i am also hoping that it will be better than it is now, even if it doesn't completely fix the pain. I am just putting it in God's hands that this is the right decision for me and will take my pain away and be a 100% success!! My sugery is scheduled for November 17th...hopefully enough time to get my baby weaned!
advertisement

Comments

• Where are they doing the bone graft? Are they doing that through the back, too?
  • Hi Jaime, I have watched a minimally invasive fusion video. I'll put the link on here. My surgeon used to do them but said he wasn't seeing any better results than open, and he found it took longer for him anyway, so he is doing mostly open now. He offered to do mine minimally invasive if I wanted, but I chose to have it the way he is most comfortable and used to it, open. Check this out, it is very informative regarding fusions in general too. Sue
    http://www.or-live.com/genesishealth/1677/
  • Yes, everything is through the little tubes in the back. They are expandable. He said it is easier for me but a pain in the a** for him (to do the surgery this way). He said if he gets in there and cannot do it, he will cut me open and do it the old way. I am more concerned about the hardware. Will i notice it? Will i be able to sit the same? And get down and play with my kids? Will i be achy? After my recovery?? Assuming my recovery goes smoothly..

Jaime
  • I did not have the min. invasive type-but the post op pain was intense (worse than child birth-since there was no break in the pain like with contractions)-BUT.....I did not take ANY pain meds-they make me sick. I am 6 weeks post op and I feel GREAT!! The pre op pain is GONE and the post op pain is really just achey. I even kicked the soccer ball with my son last night-gently! I can not feel my hardware-sometimes I think I can when I move a certain way-but nothing too major. I am in a hard shell brace-24/7-unless laying completely flat-I have to wear it for three months. Good luck to you!!
advertisement