Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

LOWER BACK PAIN

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Chronic Pain
Hello, i'm 33 have had L5 S1 lamenectomy in 04 never healed, still in horriable pain, havr had multiple steroid injections none have helped had a spinal chord stimulator implanted in oct. 06 now having it removed in nov.08 in never helped, and soon after that i'm supposed to have a fusion done, i'm terriably afraid of any more surgeries does anyone have any advise? would love to hear from anyone that feels the same as me, because nobody i know understands. I'm on many opiods, muscle relaxers, and sleeping meds, I know i cannot be alone out there.
advertisement

Comments

• I'm sorry about your situation. Mine's a bit similar and I don't know quite yet what's going to happen to me.
    I had a microdiscectomy last year, because PT and the ESI's did nothing. I had a L4-5 herniation with radiculopathy. I had 2 post op ESI's which made me worse, then I was sent to Pain management around 4 months after surgery.
    At my first vist at PM I was put on meds and offered a neurostimulator trial. I went thru psychatric evaluation and then cleared for take off. 2 months later I had it, and the net day I was sick. I woumd up having a spinal headache due to leaking spinal fluid. The trial went badly for me and later on it was suggested I see another surgeon to see what could be done.
    I had s 2 level fusion in June of this year, and am 13 weeks along in recovery. I've had a lot of setbacks, and flare ups. The incision pain is gone. I had a CT/Myelgogram to see if anything else was happpening about a month after surgery and was told everything was healing nicely. But my constant merve pain is baffling everyone. Now, my other one's acting up. Truthfully, I don't feel much improvement, despite the surgery being a success, so I've been told when I woke up from it. It feels like before I had it.

I can understand your fear of surgery. There are success stories here about surgeries and stimulator trials. You might have to look into the archived post for more of those. It's good to at the good and not so good stories, and read up on spinal fusions. There are minimally invasive fusions, but it depends if you're the right candidate for it.
    I'm on Fentanyl patches, Valium, Norco, Neurontin, Naproxen, and briefly on Toradol. You're not alone, we
    are all here for you if you have questions or just need moral support. Take care, and welcome to Spine Health.
  • LOL it's ok i just thought i had more friends lol :))(
  • Hi there! I'm gonna take a stab at your ID :B I'm guessing your name is Dale and that you live in Michigan...am I right? Did I win the grand prize? Oooh, I hope so!!! ;) I like to win stuff-well, I should say I think I like to win stuff but I wouldn't know for sure cause..well, I never win anything! 8} :))(

Anyhow, I live in Michigan myself-in Big Rapids currently but have lived in places all over the lower peninsula. Where abouts are you?

Listen, I haven't had any back surgeries yet. I've had lots of tests, and I get multiple stabs in my spine every couple of months for injections that give me more pain for a few days and then some relief for about a week (sounds crazy to go thru that for a week, huh?) /:) But I have had lots of surgeries for other things (ears mult times, tubes tied '98, abd. laparoscopy '99, abd. laparoscopy,biopsy and left ovary removal '00, hysterectomy and adhesion removal '01, colonoscopy and biopsies '02, more biopsies on right ovary and abd. laparoscopy in '03-confirmed ovarian cancer-rads/steroid tx, left ovary removed '04-cancer free-, appendectomy '04, colonoscopy and biopsies again '05, abd. laparoscopy and biopsies in abd. and left breast '08)-see told ya! hehe

All the Dr's I've seen in the last 3 years agree that I need a 3 level fusion and then some, but w/c screwed me over and SSDI is still in limbo after 3 years so who knows when I'll have back surgery or if it will even do me any good by then! Seems like the longer I'm kept in a holding pattern the more symptoms/problems I end up with!

I realize it probably doesn't seem to make sense that I'm mentioning all this stuff about myself, but there is a reason, I promise! I just wanted to let you know that you're definitely NOT alone-many of us have had multiple surgeries for something or other as well as multiple tests, etc. I think somehow that that helps us to be able to relate to each other a little better maybe (not to say someone who's never had surgery can't relate). Surgery is always scary, even for the seasoned 'pro'! :SS But having someone that understands is always a huge help, isn't it? You definitely won't have any problem getting such support here, I guarantee that!

We're not Doctors, we're not "official experts", and most of us have never actually met-but we're a great group of people that all share the common denominator of PAIN. We laugh together, cry together, comiserate together, and rarely, even lash out at one another. We all understand what each of us is going through, and even when we don't agree on something, we're still there to comfort if needed, advise if wanted, and learn from each other. We can't diagnose, but we can definitely understand! :)

Feel free to peruse the boards where you are likely to find answers to questions you may have, or maybe even a good laugh at a moment when you need one! There are also many helpful articles and other useful information aside from the message board aspect of SH that I'm sure you'll find helpful. And we're always here to support one another when needed, be it with a pick me up, a jump start, a pointing in a new direction, or in my case, I have big ears and fat shoulders for those that need a listening ear and a shoulder to cry on, perhaps when their pain is at a new level of inhumane suffering. :S

Welcome...we hope you'll pull up a chair and stick around awhile! (oh, one last thing...pay no attention to that chick behind the curtain-she's 8} ) ;)
  • I couldn't get your membername right. I use a tv instead of a computer monitor, and sometimes it's hard to read some letters. I kept getting recipient does not exist.
    Anyway, I was happy to help, and by now, you'll have plenty of friends. It really helps when you can talk to someone that's has gone thru back conditions and chronic pain. We're always here to help.
    I hope your pain improves and you get all the help you need. Take care, and I hope you're able to get better sleep tonight. I didn't sleep until 1 a.m. :)
  • you will have no shortage of friends that understand here. Most of us are also afraid when it comes to surgery.
  • Many of us were.. or now are.... right where you are today. As you will see in my signature, I had a failed dicectomy and had a fusion 6 months later.

It really is not a horrible ardeal, but recovery and pain are very person specific. It sounds to me like you are pretty strong and habe a relatively hiigh threshold as you have waited sometime to get to your position.

Anyways, read as much as you can and weigh it carefully. No matter what you decide, or how you progress over time, this site and these people will always be here to support you and help you through it all.

Best of wishes,
  • Sean, a Dicectomy? Is that like where the NS goes in and just dices things at whim? Oh no wait ... you had a cube shaped herniation so it became known as The Great Dicectomy! =))

Thanks for the laugh, hope you see the humor in it!

"C"
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.