Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Piriformis injections for 8 yr. chronic sciatica

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here, so please forgive me if this topic has already been covered. Has anyone here, who's had sciatica for 8 years or longer, received relief from a piriformis injection (after the problem has been chronic for 8 yrs. or more)?

I've had bilateral sciatica for 8 yrs. MRI's have ruled out any spinal anomaly. 4 the sake of brevity, I'll leave out the train wreck of mismanaged care, but a lot of things have been tried. Although I do stretches every day, at least twice a day, they haven't helped. Neurontin did help, but now I've reached the highest dose the dr. will prescribe, & the pain has come back. The dr. wants me to have a piriformis injection. I'm cautious re: this, as other injections in other muscles of my body (for Chronic Myofascial Pain disease) haven't helped much. They've only made things worse.
Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you.
Violet
advertisement

Comments

• welcome to the forum, but sorry you have to have pain to meet us. I never heard of a piriformis injection but would be very curious as to the result. Susan

• Hi Violet,

http://www.eorthopod.com/public/patient_education/6623/piriformis_syndrome.html .. That site was of some use to me a while back.

That same procedure was mentioned to me by my dr. after the Cortisone Spinal Injections didn't help so much after my 3rd injection. I'm curious though-- I've been suffering a much shorter time than yourself, 3 years total pain, 1 year diagnosed. I too have mismanaged care and some completely wrong diagnoses along the way. What other injections have you had in the past?

Good Luck with everything
    -Sarah
  • The good thing is that I never stop learning...

The bad thing is that I suffer pains...
    It's been 5 months now.
    Been to PT, taken LOTS of pain killers.

My pain was 11 at a scale of 1-10. I'd say it's 8 now.
    Shall I wait and see if it'll go without invasion?

I was perscribed percocet & oxycodone.
    I fear them more than I feared my surgery...

I'm on prednisine because of RA therefore, I avoid NSAIDS.
    Exedrin is not sold here. Paracetamol or Dipyrone are over the counter meds here.

Welcome Violet & thank you Sarah for the link.

I found this info "The most accurate way to tell if the piriformis muscle is the cause of pain is with a diagnostic injection into the muscle. The muscle is deep inside the buttock, so the injection requires X-ray guidance with a fluoroscope, a CT scanner, or an open MRI machine. Once the needle is placed in the muscle, an anesthetic can be injected into the muscle to paralyze the piriformis muscle. If the pain goes away after the injection, your doctor can be reasonably sure that the pain you are feel is from
    piriformis syndrome" very useful.

Is it a different treatment than for Sciatica caused by L-L or L-S disks?

I expect an injection next week.
    I know it will be done with some imaging guidance.
    I haven't met the Dr. yet. He got my papers and will look at my Bone mapping, CT & MRI when I am there.

If it succeeds will the pain be gone immediately?
    What can be the worse reaction?

Yona

Y.S IL
  • Welcome to the group..we all have pain here...different types, due to different disease processes but share the pain experience and can empathize, laugh and cry together here. also share successes when they happen (and they do):)

We're glad you've joined us...hope to see you posting..Lots of good info here to learn.

I myself have osteoarthritis in my spine that has caused my bone spurs.

I do know RA can also attack the back as well as other joints. We have many members here who can share their experiences with you regarding RA and I'm sure they will chime in soon. And correspond with you should you wish.

I hope your docs can manage your pain levels better very soon.
advertisement