Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SCS pocket/battery pack

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Pain Management
Hi,

I am having lots of issues with my battery pack, I have the lumbar scs so the pack is implanted above my left butt cheeck. I have one corner that sticks out considerably, the rest of it seems to have scarred into place good, but the one spot is out alot. It does cause some pain and discomfort to lay flat on my back, and some pants bother it. Has anyone else had this issue? IF so, is there something they can do about it? I am 9 wks post op.
Thanks for your help again!!!! O:)
advertisement

Comments

• This has happened to many of us and it scars down as time goes on. I was quite worried about it at the 2.3 to 3 month mark, but it has begun to lay flatter. The issue with certain paints or undergarments causing pain is quite common too and does finally ease up.

There's so much movement going on in that area, everytime you sit down or move, that it takes some time for the pocket to scar in real good.

Mine hurts so much less these days, that I only notice it when it hurts... sounds silly but basically I can go days without feeling it and then I'll get the dull ache from wearing the wrong clothes for too long.

The important thing though is not to play with the corner trying to push it in. You run the risk of causing the generator to flip in the pocket.

Hang in there,

"C"
  • My scs pocket did the same thing... By this time though, it seems to have scarred into place and I don't have any problems with it. I think maybe mine might be placed a bit higher than yours. Mine is about a half of a hands width from my waistline, which has turned out to be just about perfect for the clothes I wear. My doctor placed in that spot so as to avoid any problems with pants rubbing in that spot and he seemed to pick it just right!
    Give yours a bit more time to scar in, and don't mess with it so you won't flip it. I hear if you flip it they have to go back in and flip it back and try to repair the pocket.

Good luck!
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,728
    Hi Jeni, Mine hurts from time to time. When it dose I use a lidocaine patch, a prescription patch made by Lidoderm. It's a local anaesthetic and very little if any goes into your blood stream. Im 2 yrs. post op.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Hi Jeni. Ok, here was my first thought when my doc told me about the "butt'placed" battery pack...... great.... one more lump on my arse!! He about fell out of his chair!!

Anyway, to this day, 9 months later, I still have tenderness and I can actually slide mine back and forth under my skin...... icky (I like to freak my friends out by letting them touch it... "hey come here and feel Amy's butt box!!" But, generally speaking I mostly forget it's even there. Sometimes if I slide out of a seat wrong, or wear low waisted jeans it lets me know it is there, loud and clear. I think we all just scar in at our own individual pace, so give it some more time. You are gonna do great!! Well, that's MY prediction anyway!

Congratulations for becoming a member of the "Electrified" spiney community that is growing by leaps and bounds. It fills my heart to no end KNOWING that so many of us are getting the SCS"s and literally getting alot of our "previous" lives back. Rock on!!

Take care and heal up!!

Amy

(Your "electrified" Sistah) @)
  • Jen,
    I'm sorry you are having pain and discomfort. If you are having pain there is no harm in asking your doctor or SCS representative about it. Is there swelling or interruption with stimulation it puts out? If it continues I would ask for a x ray to see if its in the right position.

I am 6 wks post today! I was not turned on until 4 weeks ago and my pocket sticks out very little. I do see change every week that its settling down. I'm a little fluffy in that area but still can feel that silver dollar in my tush. My pocket has never been uncomfortable but my thoracic back is still oh so tender. I use to play with my pocket because of my curious nature, feeling a foreign thing in my body. I stopped because I heard that it could flip!

Another thing I see changing is the amount of time I charge. Its lowering in time every week and I use to feel a burning sensation. I think it has to do with the amount of charge it will take now that its getting broken in a little bit. I am turned on 24/7 and make adjustments to my activity level and have been turning up the strength for more comfort. So I am starting to know when I will need to charge even before my remote tells me too.

Take care
    O-
advertisement