Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bending

JoyJJoy Posts: 560
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Okay, I give up. What is the technical meaning of "bending?" How far over can you lean? Like 45 degrees or not at all or what? Should have asked the doc for a specific definition. LOL There are times when you have no alternative but to lean over a bit...but I always try to keep the spine straight.

I am interested on what thoughts you guys have on this.

Joy
advertisement

Comments

• but if you find out - make sure you post it for all to see

I'm thinking it means no leaning from the waist (no leaning over the sink to do teeth etc) Perhaps lowering yourself with the legs (crouching) might be ok, but you need strong thighs to do this without wobbling and leaning forward
  • My understanding is that your spine needs to remain straight, so like Snoopy said, no bending at the waist.

I think you can bend at the hips. Think about sitting - technically, you are bending at the hip joints, but your spine is straight. You can also squat a bit by bending your knees to lower yourself (this definitely depends on your knees and flexibility).
  • I would call your doctor and ask him to clarify or expand his definition based on your surgery specifically. What's safe for may not be safe for another.

I asked my doctor if a slight golfer's lift (bend at hips, with back straight and one leg raised) was ok for me. The motion is completely at the hips rather than the spine. He was OK with this used conservatively while wearing the TSLO. I use this to brush my teeth, rearrange the pillows on the couch and stuff like that. My knees arent working so good since I had to stop the Mobic, so I cant even squat slightly to get these things done, lol.

Good luck,
    Shell

• That is a VERY good question. I agree with Snoopy... If you find out, post it for us! :)

I now know after my reherniation where my limit is when it comes to bending. Lol. Thankfully I have extremely strong leg muscles (thanks to genetics! thanks mom! Thanks dad!) so I can normally squat to do everything. Can't anymore, cause of what I did to my back this week, but normally I can.

I'd definitely be interested in finding out what a surgeon's definition of bending would be.
  • Chris' doctor told him he could tilt forward at the hips keeping his back straight at the 4 month mark, but still said no to BLT. Terri
advertisement