Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My surgery in Oct. any advice?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Well the bone stimulator did not work and now there are 2 broken screws and two bent ones...lucky me huh? Now they are wanting to put 4 bolts in the back of my neck with 2 steel rods and then 4 set screws and take out the broke screws that are in the front. I am not sure about this, I do not want to have the surgery. I know he is just working at getting past the paralysis issue right now but if the first one did not work...
He is also talking about bmp (Bone marrow something or other) anyone know about this stuff? Should I have the surgery? can someone get me a second opinion? All I can find out is that all other peeps send their second opinion peeps to my doc. I trust him but he said that the bmp or whatever is not fda approved for the neck so i do not know what to do. running out of time here. Don't you hate it when you got on a neck brace, can't work and want to and are in constant pain but people think you are faking? Who the hell would want to be out of work and in pain? and broke? and fighting with insurance companies?
advertisement

Comments

• I have pics of the hardware they are wanting to put in if anyone can tell me how to post the pics.
  • So I guess no one knows what this is like? What to expect? :jawdrop: :''( 8>
  • I'm assuming that you have not fused correctly when you say the bone growth stimulator did not work. If that is so and you are not fusing, the hardware is the only thing creating a stable neck. Given the fact that you have broken and bent screws, your plate must be moving a bit. This isn't good, and may create the potential for even more damage, but that is something you would have to address with your surgeon.

The revision surgery generally is done posteriorly by adding rods and pins to stabilize your neck. I have read of a few cases where the surgeon goes back in and does the whole thing from the front side again, but the "gold standard" is to do it with the rods and pins on the back side. Unfortunately this is a much more painful surgery to recover from, but it does create good stability.

I'm so sorry you are going through this, and I completely understand your frustration. don't worry about what other people are thinking; As long as you and your doctor are clear about what is going on, that is all that matters. You know you are not faking!

BMP = bone morphogenic protein. This is a controversial thing when used in the c-spine. It is not fda approved for use in the c-spine, but since you did not fuse the first time around, you are a good candidate for using bmp with your revision. It sort of acts as a glue. My surgeon used it posteriorly on me. There is some suggestion that it can cause severe swelling when used in the c-spine, and this can be dangerous. however, many surgeons feel that the benefits outweigh the risks. I did not have any problems with bmp (well, unless there is some overgrowth, but that is doubtful; will know more after MRI on Monday). You may want to PM tamtam about her situation with bmp though, as she recently had surgery using bmp in her c-spine and had some problems with it.

The easiest way to post photos here is to upload it to www.photobucket.com, and then copy the link from there and put it into a message here. Photobucket.com is a free website for online photos and very easy to use. PM me if you have questions about it.

Where are you from? Getting a 2nd opinion is important. It has been my experience that most surgeons encourage you to get a second opinion, and some insurances require it. I asked my surgeon to refer me for a 2nd opinion. He set it up a lot quicker than if I had done it on my own (long appointment waiting list), and he even faxed over my records. Or you could ask your primary care physician to refer you to someone.

Good luck, and hopefully the 2nd time around will do the job.

Cindy
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Hello there,
    I just recently had a 2 level ACDF C 4-6 same as you. I am so sorry to hear of the nent screw etc! I am sure this is a;; very painful and scary.

Neck of Steel gave some great advice and ideas of how to go about getting the second opinion.

I just popped in to let you know I am here for support if you need it!
    :)
    Chrissy
advertisement