Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PT for neck eval tomorrow

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I'm pretty glad that my pt can take a look at my neck but its before my ns appt, so I'm wondering how conservative we should be. She has my mri report so I guess she knows. She said something about strenghthening muscles in the front of my neck. Oh its been about 20 years but I guess its worth trying.
advertisement

Comments

• how did the eval go today?
  • Curly, PT helped me so much. It didn't get rid of all my muscle spasms but did wonders for me. Out of all the conservative treatments I've had PT was the best. I hope it helps you feel better. I don't think that it will give your NS a misdiagnosis if you go before it. I think you might not wont to get a MRI after PT due to possible tight muscles. Muscle spasms will make your neck straighten up and it makes your MRI look worse.

I hope that you find some relief for your neck. 20 years is a long time. You have to be a very strong person. What started all of your problems?

Best Wishes,
    Clarissa

• I still get muscle spasms everyday just not as bad as I use to. Doing the exercises and stretches I was taught in PT helped a lot. I had to stop doing them for awhile due to over doing it. But sure enough for me when my muscles started to tone up a lot of my muscle spasms went away. My physical therapist said that your disc and vertabrae hold up your body. When they get hurt your muscles are now forced to do the job. For one they are not strong enough to do that. When they get toned up they help do a better job of holding your body up.

What I just started doing that has also worked great for me is accupuncture. It has helped relieve some muscle spasms also. It has worked great getting rid of some of my headaches. The accupucturist said that by hitting pressure points the body releases endorphins. Endorphins help heal the body. I learned in class (LVN/LPN student) that endorphins help the body relieve pain. The strength of the pain relief is compared to Morphine. Isn't that crazy and amazing.

I still get muscle spasms everyday but just not as bad. I am hoping I wake up one day and everything be gone. But I guess we all do. I hope this helped. Just take it one day at a time. Don't over do it or you just pay for it later.

Clarissa
  • It sounds like you have a great physical therapist. I would just like to caution you to make sure your doctor knows that you are doing physical therapy, and remind you that PTs are not qualified to make a diagnosis. Strengthening your neck muscles is a good thing. If any of the exercises make you worse, use caution. It was explained to me to use the "stop light" method. If you can do the exercises with little or no aggrivation of your symptoms, that is a green light and you can continue on. If you have increased pain with an exercise but the pain goes away within an hour of doing it, that is like the yellow light and you need to use caution and monitor it closely. If you are doing something that causes pain or tingling that does not go away within an hour, that is a red light and you need to stop doing it. Thinking of it this way has helped me to know if I should continue on with something or if I should stop doing it until speaking with my doctor about it.

When do you see the NS? It is good that you are doing physical therapy, because that is almost always the first thing surgeons will have you do before even considering surgery, unless of course there is something wrong requiring immediate surgery.

Also, not only strengthening the neck muscles is important, but shoulder muscles as well. Your shoulders and upper arms help to support your neck.

I hope you can get some relief soon.

Cindy
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Although it was never explained like the stop light. That is basically her approach. If it hurts we don't do it. I had my eval and parts of my neck are soooooo sensitive I flew off the table and the left side muscles are in such spasm it felt like bone. She did notice with resistance that my left was stronger than my right and I'm righty. My follow up with the pain dr is just before the NS and I think they will be starting accupuncture. I've been curious but afraid to just pick someone from the yellow pages.
    Cindy, you are so right about the shoulder muscles too!!! That whole area is soooo tender on me.
    Thanks so much for being so helpful.
advertisement