Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lesson Learned (I Hope)

JoyJJoy Posts: 560
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am about 12 weeks or so from a TLIF and made a big mistake yesterday. I went to the grocery store alone and, of course, put way too much in my cart. The clerk unloaded my basket and someone else put them in my car. When I got home I only took in the items that had to be refrigerated and left the rest for my granddaughter to bring in. But I was in absolute misery the rest of the day...had to take pain meds for the second time that day. Never, never again will I push that cart until I'm "normal" again! The price is too high. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to perform daily tasks again without risking so much pain?

By the way, I forgot what the weight limit is that we're supposed to adhere to. Is it 5 or 10 lbs?
advertisement

Comments

• Here's where you are starting to have fun with the "don't over do it" statement you get from your doc and friends.

My problem is, I never know how much is "over-doing it", until it's too late and I "over did it".

The key is, to learn from it and tailor your activities accordingly. I have had great success asking a friend to come along while I shop.

Don't be surprised when you find another limit. It happens.

"C"
  • I haven't had surgery, and I paid that price this last weekend. My friend just bought a house, and I went with her to the 'super big store' to get all her household stuff. I had to do a little shopping of my own too, dog food, milk, frozen stuff. I really didn't get THAT much, and I didn't carry or lift any of it. But man oh man was I hurting after that!!!

We walked around that huge store, we had to go through every isle to get everything she needed for her new empty home!! Won't do anything like that again any time soon!!
  • Yep, "C" pretty much summed it up - it's hard to know what 'overdoing it' means until you have overdone it. Pretty much all of us have done that at least 2 or 3 times after our surgeries - I certainly did many times. Thankfully most of the time it just aggravates the muscles and they calm down a day or so later.

Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• Me too Joy...
    It took me 2 hours yesterday grocery shopping. I did fine but was really tired. By the time I unloaded everything into my van I was "done" I was really glad I timed it all so the kids were home from school and they unloaded everything and put it all away while I lay down on the couch with a cold pack. I ended up cooking supper with help and the effects of it faded away. I won't try to get as much next time lol or I will have my darling husband w/me. At this stage in the game it is so easy to do too much. I hope you are feeling better and better Joy.
  • Darn groceries! I had exactly the same problem one day when I went to the store to pick up a few items. needless to say I ended up with a couple of big (heavy) bags. I managed to put them in the car, but when I got home my hubby was out, so I had to bring them in. Big mistake! So I promised myself that I won't go grocery shopping, unless he is at home to help me bring them in. By the way, at 3 months my OS told me that I should limit myself lifting no more than 10 lbs.

Kin
  • For me it is the shopping trolleys themselves. They seem to have a life and will of their own. :))(
    I now spend the time testing them all out and waiting for a good easy glide one that doesn't fight me on every turn. =))
    The groceries - I pack myself so I know how heavy the bags are and if I have to do 6 trips to the car then I do 6 trips.
    I have a limit of 10kg but there is no way I could carry that. I put a few Kg in each bag.

Sara O:)
  • oh yes that overdoing thing what is that anyway :S ;)

i remember that first time oh so well.
    lets see i was at your same point 12 weeks.
    it was my first day in the car. our first snow storm was coming.
    i got dressed feeling wow this is awesome.
    we had a short service to bury my gram. which lasted like 20min. FREEZING mind you. then i said heck its going to snow so i will stop at the store and pick up a "few"things.
    i did the same. put the frozen away and had my son do the rest when he got home that day.
    then of course i ended up falling later in the afternoon on ice cause ding dong son got his car stuck in the road on slusly ice
    then proceded to come in the house in pain "sore" not massive pain. then off to on call to check my wrist as i made myself not land on my fusion.. good act don't know how i did it but i did.
    then went xmas shopping as my adrenaline was on overdrive by that time.
    well me oh my by that night WHEW MAN. i thought i did a marathon even though things were spread apart..
    it took a few days to feel good again..

so we all do it. as we start feeling good we just do it.
    then pay...

you hang in there girlfriend. it does get easier..
    i know eating my words right now after complaining the last few days ooopsss :$ :T B)

anyways rest you have been a awesome "accent" to this group and to myself, and well i will be there for you to!!!!

huggies >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
    terri

p.s. i was upped to 10lbs at 12 weeks. but all docs are different, and you know if any new pain does not go away call that dr missy O:) :D
advertisement