Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

was a synthetic spacer FDA approved for cervical discectomy/fusion 8 years ago?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I've had a C5-6 discectomy/fusion 8 years ago. The top MD of the University where I had the surgery took care of me. He said, and showed me, the synthetic spacer he would put in. He did not mention any other options. Since he was the "Head Guy", I trusted him...
Now, 8 years later, I suffer from extreme chronic pain. That's all he said was the post-surgery MRI looked good, but looks like I have to live with the pain. I've tried Botox shots, Acupuncture, improving my posture, and very expensive Radio-Frequency Surgery(that helped a bit, but it only lasts a year, then it has to be re-done).
Looking back, I have become suspicious of what he used back then. Does anyone know/or have had this done 8 years ago or more?
Also, when I got a copy of my surgical report, it states "a #7 medium-sized cornerstone bank bone plug was inserted".
Isn't that bone from a cadaver??
I would appreciate any help, and will offer any advice from my many years of this crap for anyone to help. :S
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to Spine Health.

The surgical report, pre-surgical findings / report should state the hardware to be used. The actual surgical report should state exactly what was placed, how, and any issues (or not) were encountered during the placement. Wierd that it is not there.

The bone question leadds me to believe that it is indeed cadaver dust/bone

Some of the other people in the forum may have a better answer for you as they may have had theor surgeries around the same time and are more familiar with the practices / devices of the time.

Best of wishes,

• Hi
    thank's for your response! In the Intra-Operative Record section of my OP report, there are two sets of very small numbers-RTI 200741 and 0417567. Any idea what these are, and how/who can I find out this info from?

Dianne
  • I have heard about spacers similar to what you are describing. Have you called the Dr to find out what exactly happened? Have you had another MRI to find out what the problem is? Xrays? What about the insurance company that was used? Can you call them and find out what those codes are? Maybe even the hospital you had the surgery at can help you find out what was used and what the numbers stand for. There has to be someone who knows what he used and what he did. It looks like you are going to have to do some detective work.

I hope you find some answers.
    Clarissa
  • I found it for you..

http://www.rtix.com/productCategories.aspx?genID=5

AND more specifically here:

http://www.rtix.com/productView.aspx?id=160&prodID=20&genID=5&vID=1

This company makes the spacer you describe. It is also still called the Cornerstone" line, but the product names are a bit different.

I am willing to bet you can get data from this company with the two part numbers you have..

Best of wishes,

• Thank you SO MUCH for your response and investigation...I e-mailed them with my numbers, and I hope to get a response soon...Let me just say, being in the Radiologic Technology realm for over 25 years, I know that my MRI's do not look like a cadaver bone...It totally looks synthetic, which I believe is not written what was put in me, unless the cadaver bone looks "synthetic"...
    I will let you know what happends!!!

Thanks Again!!!

• Thank you SO MUCH for your response and investigation...I e-mailed them with my numbers, and I hope to get a response soon...Let me just say, being in the Radiologic Technology realm for over 25 years, I know that my MRI's do not look like a cadaver bone...It totally looks synthetic, which I believe is not written what was put in me, unless the cadaver bone looks "synthetic"...
    I will let you know what happends!!!

Thanks Again!!! =D>
  • I hope you are on target and get your answers quickly. Like I said earlier, we in this forum are here to help

Best wishes to you,
    sean
advertisement