Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lower Back Pain (Scoliosis surgery many years ago)

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi. This is my first post to one of these forums. I am desperate for some insight. I have had chronic, sharp pain in my lower right back, and right side of my outer hip/thigh area. I have had an MRI and Xray to rule out the hip. I really think the problem stems from my back. I had scoliosis surgery in 1984 with Harrington Rods from the upper back down to L3. Not a single problem in 24 years. Then last year I took a kickboxing class, and that did me in, I have had pain ever since, and getting progressively worse. CT Scans, Xrays and MRI all indicate a slight disc bulge at L4-5, and some narrowing at the L4-L5 forminal opening. Both orthopedic surgeons I have seen did not see any obvious nerve impingement or other causes for the pain. I have had 3 epidural injections, to no avail. I keep getting passed from back to hip doctor, with no one knowing what is going on. The pain is unbearable. I cannot stand or walk for more than a few minutes at a time. By the end of the day, I am in excruciating pain. I now have trouble sleeping, and need valium to get even a few hours of sleep. The "new" doctor I saw today thought it might be facet joint degeneration, although my 1st orthopedic didn't think that would cause the type and severity of pain I am having in the lower back/hip area. I'm wondering if I should insist on facet joint injections. I'm at the end of my rope here. I have 2 young children and a job, and I'm basically incapacitated, and crying every day. I don't see an end ever to this, and I fee like my life is over. I was a healthy, happy 40 year old before this injury. I just can't believe how bad this has gotten over the past 3 months. I don't leave my house unless someone is driving me to a doctor's appointment. Would a neurosurgeon be any more insightful than an orthopedic surgeon? Looking for some advice out there! Thank you. :''(
advertisement

Comments

• Hiya, :)
    Welcome to Spine Health >:D< You will find this site helpful given the situation that you are in at the moment.Does the pain radiate down your leg? Are you taking anything for your pain? I would go and get another opinion, and tell them that you need somthing sorting , and this cant go on as you have small children to look after. Take a friend with you when you go and see a doctor, let them do the talking if it gets to much for you. Write a list of questions that you want to ask. I live in the UK, i didnt find the surgeon very helpful. I am now with pain management and they have helped me much more, and explained why i am getting what pain where. My heart goes out to you. Please keep us posted and let us know how you get on. There are also some useful information on this site if you need to reseach your problem. PM me if you ever want to rant. Good Luck! Dont forget keep us posted :)

Angie x
  • Thanks Angie. I am taking Valium at night to sleep (a few hours, anyway), and Skelexon and Mobid during the day for back spasms and inflammation. I'm not sure those 2 are doing much. I tried taking Vicodin and Percoset, but I have never been able to take any of those. They make me so light headed and nausceous, I can't function. I wind up laying on bed all day. I'd rather be in pain, but alert for my family, then a zombie. I'm wondering if those side effects will wear off if I keep taking the meds. I just need a little pain relief during the day to run some errands, etc. It's horrible.

I don't have pain below the knee. In fact, it really stops in the hip area, but my back is killing me over the past 2 weeks. It feels better if I hunch over. I'm thinking it may be facet joints. I'm wondering if anyone has a similar story and any potential ideas. I'm scared to death this is my life with no relief in sight. Thanks again Angie. I appreciate the encouragement.
This discussion has been closed.