Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Going to EDITED in am what should I ask or ?

ellineellin Posts: 188
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Oh my I am so sick of all the needles I feel like a pin cushion. I do not want surgery and will try anything first. I went to a nuro Dr. not a nuro surgon to get an take on his view. He told me the shots will never work this was when the left leg went numb. I left crying and went anyway to a PM Dr. to do the injections and got the feeling back in my leg ok it has been a battle of lost count of the injections that has caused my skin to thin and bruise. Now it's the neck. Called EDITED and they wanted my MRI of my lower back and they told me they will let me know if I will be going to PM or Nuro surgon. Well, got both. Not going to the PM DR. because I am done with that and have a Dr. so, I am scared to go but, will tomorrow. What do you say to them. I want to say oh I do not want surgery but, I know you are a nero surgon? DUH Do I just keep quiet and let him speak. I know have a first MRI of my neck that was done within 30 due to pain getting bad and have 3 buldged disc and spon. and on it goes need to get a MRI of my middle back that hurts like a 10 on some days and 1-2 on others that my Dr. told me 2 years ago that it was a sprain and will go away and no it did not. I feel like wow I have problems from my neck all the way down to the lower back maybe I will get a all new spine (Just kidding) Well, I am going on and on because I am scared and do not know what to expect because never went to a nuro surgon. Any input would help. Thanks

Doctors name and contact details removed by forum Moderator (paulgla). We do not permit publishing specific doctor's or institution names and contact details.
advertisement

Comments

• One thing I would recommend because I didn't do it, is as soon as you get out of there, write things down or tape it because you may forget what the surgeon says because of nervousness. I'm sure he will make you feel comfortable, make you stand on your heels etc. as part of his assessment I wish you well and keep us posted okay? Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Ellin, is there someone who can go with you to see the doctor. The old saying that, "Two heads are better than one" is a good one. I take a friend with me each time I see my surgeon in case I miss something. She also will chime in with questions I did not think to ask. Of course, I have "old-timers" disease and you may not have this problem. Anyway, my best wishes are with you. Take care.
  • I say write down all of your questions, take a friend or family member and have them/or you take notes. I always take my notebook with questions and I write out the answers. For post-op, since I was medicated, I took my sister and she took notes to my questions. Check out the topic on SH about questions to ask a surgeon at this link:
    http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/back-surgery/guidelines-evaluating-a-spine-surgeon

Good-luck, Sue
  • I could not agree more with the others who have written.

Best wishes to you,
  • Dont assume that because this Dr is a surgeon that he will only look at surgery. A lot of surgeons will recommend other things first (if you haven't already tried them) before going the durgical route.
    He should ask you what you have tried and how it worked for you or maybe your local Dr has put that in a letter to him already.
    Take some deep breaths, dont let yourself be rushes and yes dont for get the notbook and pen! :)

Then let us know how it goes.
    Blessings Sara O:)
  • Thanks so, much. My folks (mom &Dad) going with so, even tho they have old timers they are better than I when it comes to making sure all is covered and understood. Not saying that I have not had enough experience at 48 years young. Well, have to get ready for work will let you know what came out of this. Have lots of my mind. Having surgery tomorrow Fri for a mass they found in my breast. Should be a 45 min surgery if all goes well. Hoping all the time things start looking better health wise for me. Have to be strong even tho it's hard lots of days. Again thanks and will keep you updated
  • I've been to neurosurgeons and ortho surgeons who have not recommended surgery, so a good one takes everything into consideration. Good luck on Friday, and keep us posted. God Bless YOU!--Mazy
  • ok please read my other post NEED HELP.
advertisement