Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recent Spinal Fusion - Brand New Pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
After 4 months of suffereing, 2 steroid epidurals and a ridiculous amount of medications I decided to have the cervical disc surgery to remove a herniated disc at the C5-C-6 level (single level) and bone spurs on the nerve.

The surgery went well, and I am now 3 weeks post op. At the first post-op exam, the dr said the fusion seems to be healing well. I am a teacher, and I am missing valuable instruction time, so I am in a hurry to go back to work (next week) which is only 3 1/2 weeks after surgery.

~X( I am sure that I am probably up and doing more than I should, and I am taking less pain medicine so I won't have to take much while I am at school.

To make a long story longer here is my problem. In the past two days I have had neck and shoulder pain on the right side of my body. (Original problem was left.) My doctor is right handed so he went in through the right side.
The pain in my right shoulder feels like my left did several months ago. A dull throbbing ache in my shoulder and some radiating pain in my right arm and palm.
I am wondering if maybe my stirring around and increase in activity has done some damage. If it persists I will have to call my doctor (who will likely tell me to stay out the whole 6 weeks) I don't see him again for another 2 weeks.

Has anyone who has had a bone graft spinal fusion at this level develop radicular pain in the opposite arm? Any advice appreiated. (I am taking Lortab 15mg for pain, and zanaflex or flexaril for spasms)
advertisement

Comments

• hi and welcome.
    paul pretty much said it short and sweet. you want to give your body time to heal and recover. i got odd and end pains with all my surgeries. the worst with my cervical was the burning in my shoulders/neck and inbetween my shoulder blades. also a bit of weakness but once the healing process began it went away.
    you really need to let your NS know about this. and your probably right he will want the full six weeks. but they thats a short time. you don't want to do damage that has to be fixed or cannot be fixed by doing things to early.
    so discuss this all with him first before making any decisions. school just started, so i imagine your eger to get back but they will be there for you when your ready.
    i would also wait till you start PT to strengthen those muscles personal opinion only.

good luck to you in your recovery..
    terri >:D<