Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2nd surg for scs?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Pain Management
:/ Hi there,

I am 2 1/2 mo post op from the perm scs. I had an appt with my orig surgeon as a follow up, I mentioned that I am not getting the stimulation where I need it, the Medtronic tech did what he could to get it as close as poss, but still not in the right spot, also that if I turn it upo higher to try to get to that spot, my legs get too rubbery. He mentioned a surgery where he would go in, and disconect the right side of the paddle (I only need the left) and run the leads right into the area that is not getting the stimulation. He said it was similar to tens, but would be on the inside? Has anyone heard of this or had this done? I have not had a very possitive experience with the scs so far, so I do not want to get myself in even deeper if it is not something I can find more info on. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!
Take care all!
advertisement

Comments

• I have had the exact same problem ~X( but they never suggested a 2nd surgery now it's been almost exactly 2 years and i'm getting it removed, but your story sounds EXACTLY LIKE MINE right down to getting it in the wrong spot and when i turn it up high enough to get the right (AREA) it' makes my legs way too weak or "rubbery" like you said, WOW i cannot believ that you sound just like me!!!! I'm truely sorry for the bad expierience tho i heard that it works most of the tome but it did not work on me just like you but maybe a 2nd surgery will help I HOPE YOU GET EVERYTHING WORKED OUT and i'm sure we will all pray for you to get relief you deserve
    Dale
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,728
    Hi Jeni,I have the same problem as you and daleinmi. But mine and his are ANS units, not medtronic. I'm also 2 yrs. post op. So I know the disappointment you're going through. There is a surgery with new different leads that I'm looking into, but I've Had so many surgeries that I'm really burnt out on doing another. And the whole process is slow to get going.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,728
    Jeni, Most of the people that post about scs here have medtronic, unlike us. So hang in there and I'm sure someone with medtronic knowledge will chime in. Or pm haglandc. I think she has one, and is very helpful.
    Good luck Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I am 1 yr post permanant SCS. Mine is made by Boston Scientific. It does help with the pain, although not 100%. I have recently developed an increase in pain in my lower back, and have to turn mine up higher than used to. Not sure if I just over did it with exercise or if I hurt myself.

When I turn it up my legs get "rubbery" too, and then I get cramps and muscle spasms in my ribs and side.

I wouldn't say mine is a failure because it does really help when I can crank it up and lay down. However, I can't do that to sleep because of the cramping. :<

I would ask about the Boston scientific. There is a website full of people who have this and they all have great success. the site is http://www.raceagainstpain.com

The people are really helpful there like they are here. Maybe someone there has had the medtronic unit.

Hope it all works out for you..it's too bad it doesn't help at all. I wish you luck. :)
advertisement