Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bored,Bored Bored

cyndi4everccyndi4ever Posts: 153
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
So Tell me what is everyone doing to not be bored.... I need some ideas... When the sun is out I sit in it like a goddess, and I can walk, walk walk, I have found myself cooking lots of stuff, which wont be good if I eat so I end up feeding the neighbors.. I can bake and cook if My husband puts everything on a good level for me.. I am a chef and baker when Im not in a hard collar LOL.... but Im bored, I was thinking of maybe going through pics and sorting them or scrapbookins, but Im not sure how to go about all that.. I used to knit, suppose I couuld try it again,. (that would be so weird to me) so Lets have some ideas of what to do while we are layed up..
Cyndi
advertisement

Comments

• Cyndi,

One of the greatest things for keeping me from being bored is Music. I have an iPod that I just think is the greatest and no matter what I do, it can keep me from being bored.

Have you thought of maybe starting your own webpage or blog? That can consume a lot of time.

Can you drive? I take my husband lunch to help break up the day and make him feel special. Some days we go out behind the building he works in and sit under the trees and watch the ocean. He works on the beach.

"C"
  • I do have an IPOD... I can't drive for 3 months.... so Im pretty much at home.. My hubby takes me out for shopping and stuff, I walk, we moved 2 weeks before my sugery and lucky enough I have 1/4 mile of sidewalk that I walk 4 times to make a mile, which I try to do 3 times a day...
    The hard collar makes it hard to go on the road by myself, because I can only see whats in front of me.. Kinda scary..
    I was just curious if anyone started a new hobby or anything..
    We live near the Ocean too, we are from Gloucester Mass
  • I tried to teach myself a double weave beading stitch while laying in bed. It didnt work. Tiny beads everywhere!

I walk out to the koi pond to feed my fish twice a day. Go talk to the elderly neighbors. Take pictures of my parrots, at least I can talk to them and they answer. Email my kids teachers and be a real pain. Watch TV, I know the daytime schedule. Play word games on the computer. Bug family. Brush the dogs, Pace the house.

Sorry, no good ideas. I am really bored too as you can see!

Take Care,
    Shell
  • I was always a young knitter. Got married at 20 and hubby hated that i sat knitting like a granny.

42 now and started again a few years ago when I was tring to lose weight. Kept my fingers busy. Knitted lovely fluffy scarfs for Xmas presents. This time I have started ahead of the operation to get into the swing, and have knitted wrist warmers (long fingerless gloves with cable pattern) and have started the scarf. I'll take that with me to hospital. Wrist warmers will be good when walking for recovery

Go on - try it again

Snoops
  • Sound like a plan, I really think I might srart again, I think I will remember, Knit 1 pearl 2,, LOL... I have a grandchild coming in Dec, Maybe I could knit or crochet a blankie.................. I have started blogging which is a good thing to do when I want to talk to someone...... My medicine when I first take it makes me want to talk talk talk........... My poor hubby.....
  • The days are still too long for me. I research stuff on the internet a lot and email people. I had plans to learn Spanish (bought Spanish for Dummies) but I am not able to focus on it. It may work for other people though. Our church has just started a program where we read the entire Bible in 90 days (basically it's 12 chapters a day). I'm doing that and reading ahead. It makes me feel like I am accomplishing something important because I've never read the Bible straight through before.

I wish I lived closer to the beach!

Best wishes,
    Haylie
  • I'm trying to catch up on some reading. Currently, I am reading a book about daily life in the Soviet Union and will follow that with a book about the history of Ukraine.

I am also working on learning Russian. I have the complete Russian course from Rosetta Stone and am almost done with the first level.

These activities may seem to be a bit different, so let me explain. For the past several years, I have had an intense interest in Chernobyl and Ukraine. In 2006, I took a short trip there and spent 2 days in the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone with a friend who used to live in Pripyat, the city that used to be home to the Chernobyl Nuclear Plant workers.

If you are interested and want to read about my trip, I posted a photo essay about it on my website at:
    http://www.chernobylee.com/articles/chernobyl/my-journey-to-chernobyl-1.php

While in Ukraine, I was barely able to speak Russian. I want to return there, so that is the reason for learning the Russian language.

Besides those activities, I also write online at Suite101.com. When planning for my surgery, I pre-wrote a bunch of articles to meet my obligations. Now that I am a little more functional, I plan to start writing new articles again.

Believe me, I'm still bored at times, but these activities help quite a bit.
  • I have been going throught the hundreds and hundreds of photos on my computer and labelling them properly. Then I can scrapbook with them.
    I went to the UK for a 3 month holiday a few years ago so am also transcribing my diary to put in the scrapbook as well.
    The rest of the day I walk - usually twice a day but once when I go to physio and hydrotherapy.
    I have exercises to do as well, the physio made sure of that!

I have twin neices that turn 21 in Dec so I am making sequined christmas ball for them. They will get 21 each and are very fiddly to make. I usually do this if I watch TV at night as it is so time consuming.

I read and enjoy the sunshine in my garden. Am longing to do some gardening but it will have to wait a while. Housework takes me ages so i just do a little each day- 1 chore = 1 day

I have also renewed my love of jigsaw puzzles and have put excess phone books on my table with a board over the top so I can do them without bending over.

I said in an earlier thread that I decided to treat this recovery as a mini holiday and would allow myself to do the things I have been procrastingating about and never had the time. SO now I am really happy I have put a dent in ti all.
    I also have to divide my time between sitting and standing jobs so I dont sit for too long.

Blessings Sara O:)
advertisement