Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

please help

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in New Member Introductions
am so glad I found a site that is based entirely on advice and not trying to sell me some useless product at a ridiculous price! That being said I have a bunch of questions.
I am a 24 year old stay at home mom, I have an 18-month-old daughter. I have been suffering from back pain since March of ‘08! It started out in the center of my lower back. My doctor sent me to PT and towards the end of PT the pain had disappeared from my back and progressed into my left leg. After PT the pain got worse, so my doctor sent me back for another round of PT. I got some relief but nothing substantial. After I was finished with the second round of PT I begged to be seen by a chiropractor, (my doc doesn’t believe in them) but I had dealt w/ sciatica before and the first tim the chiro seemed to help quite a bit. I’ve been seeing the chiropractor for about 2 weeks now but the pain and symptoms have progressed even more! I have pain all the way down into my ankle, all the time, and the back of my thigh and whole left side and bottom of my left foot are numb. I’m at my wits end. I cannot sleep, I cry almost every night out of frustration and sleep withdrawal. I’m taking Toradol, Medrol and Soma, but they only offer minor relief and let me get 2-3 hours of sleep at a time. As soon as I lay down the pain is there and no matter what I do I can’t get comfortable, the only relief I can get is when I'm standing, and even that's not much.
It has just been recommended to me by my aunt and by my pharmacist to take a super B-complex, they both said it works great but I’ve been taking that for 2 days now and I don’t notice much of a change yet. Does anyone know if this works or not???
Now I said all of that to ask, what can I do? I’m supposed to be going in for an MRI sometime this week, and I have a couple of chiropractor appointments as well. The thought of open back surgery scares me to death b/c all I hear about it is that it doesn’t really work, and that it can leave you worse off than before the surgery. I’ve found a procedure called micro endoscopic discectomy (non-traumatic disc surgery) , which is supposed to work better than open back surgery, do you know if this is effective? I would LOVE any advice I can get, for immediate and long-term results, right now I would kill to sleep thru the night.
I look forward to hearing from someone, I hope you can help me.
advertisement

Comments

• jennasmon- welcome to forum. In my opinion, I would stop the chiropractor visits. Then next week get the MRI. Review the MRI with the dr and ask him about continuing any chiropractor visits since this is casung increased pain.

There is no way to know what the MRI will show so I would wait and see. Usually other treatments are tried before surgery. It is hard to wait to find out what is wrong but there may yet be more testing after the MRI..hang in there..jade
  • Hi jennasmom, welcome to SH. I am sorry to hear about your troubles, I know they are frustrating and scary.

There are plenty of treatments to try before surgery. I recently had an epidural injection, which at first increased my pain 10 fold. After a few days, the remaining pain was minimal.

I am not a doctor of course, but I believe its possible that your adjustment at the chiro may have just put more pressure on your nerves, causing more pain.

Until your MRI, there is not much that your doctors really can do (besides PT) At least after the MRI, hopefully they will know whats wrong and be able to treat it effectively.

After your MRI, your doctor may refer you to a neurosurgeon. This doesn't mean that you for sure will need surgery, but the neurosurgeon can help in offering suggestions for other treatments.

I am a chiro lover, but for fear of causing more damage, waited till I received approval from the NS to go see my chiro. I've started PT all over again in hopes of avoiding surgery all together.

I wish you luck! Let us know how things go with the MRI

Amanda