Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L3-4,L4-5,L5-S1 fusion/3 week post op MRSA

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in New Member Introductions
Here's my story. I've had pain for 6 years. I'm a police officer so drs thought I'd gotten into too many fights and that was the cause. I did painmanagement for 6 years before deciding surgery. Aug 14 I had 3 fusions. Post op was the worst. AFter 4 days I was released. Was doing so-so at home. Didn't hardly do anything at all. Had 7 incisions total from ALIF and PLIF (i think). After 2 weeks my lumbar incision, right above my butt, started draining. My paramedic/lieutenant firefighter/police officer husband looked at it and thought maybe a disolvable suture wasn't disolving. So I just banadged it. After 4 days of draining and so much that several times it went thru the bandage and thru my pants, I was going to call dr but thought I'd just wait 2 days and show my pain management dr. At that visit, he looked at it and was concerned (scared me!). Had me come back the following day for appointment with surgeon. That day my back was hurting like when I buldged a disc. I could hardly walk, sit and laying was impossible. When the surgeon looked at it he said it was infected and we would be going straight to the Operating Room to open it up and clean it out. So went straight to OR and he did it. Post op was worse than the surgery post op. I was admitted. I went to the OR for the next 4 days for this. After the second day, the figured out it was MRSA. Got a private room finally! But that came with a big ole sign on the door "all employees must wash hands and double glove...etc etc." I've never felt so embarrassed in my LIFE. At no time did ANYONE touch my wound. AFter each surgery they bandaged it completely taping all sides. No one could even SEE the wound much less touch it. ANyway, the fifth day he closed the incision back but left a drain. I did the Vancomycin thing for 4 more days. My two teenage daughters were left to live on their own basically. After two more days, he dismissed me and took the drain out. I'm on two weeks of antibiotics. This is my second week. Some days are so-so and some days are just like the old days; can't sit or lay without hurting. Just wanted to hear from someone else who've had same/similar problem. Unless you've gone thru this, no one really understands what I'm going thru. Thank you for reading this.
advertisement

Comments

• You poor thing, it is a hard enough operation without added problems!
  • I was hoping someone out there had gone thru something similar and could chat with me. Thank you for you reply.
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i don't have your particular problems but we do have pain in common. ~X( we have the heartache of being alone with our pain, difficulty sleeping, weight gain. lots of things to talk about. i hope the worse is over for you, good luck and keep your chin up! Jenny :)
  • tracer- Sorry to hear of the post-op infection. There are some postings in the Back Surgery and Neck Surgery section with some others who have had MRSA and other infections following fusions. I had a post-op infection once from an abdominal surgery and man was that was a terrible experience....take care...jade
  • =D> I am sooooo glad I found this blog. Unless a person has had back pain from pinched nerves or bulged discs or any of the other things that go wrong with discs, they don't understand our pain. That's whats bugs me the most. Another officer I work with just totally dismisses when I was at work an hurting. Made me wanna taze him!!! Thank you for your support and I will be on daily to help encourage others in pain too. Thanks again.!
  • Hi Tracer,

Wow, hon MRSA is not a fun thing to have! It has become more and more common these days!. It ysed to be when a person had contracted MRSA it was related to a hospital situation such as your and the surgery. The big bummer these days is that more and more people are getting the MRSA and have been no where near a hospy!

I am so glad that they got to it and cleaned it all out before it became to big of a problem.

How are you feeling today!!! I hope better!
    Thank God your now back to the recovery stage!
    If you ever need extra support please feel free to PM me!
    Chrissy
  • :? Hi There!
    I wish you a speedy recovery now - they found it and you had double problems but your on the way out now...look on the bright side, I knew a lady who woke up months post op having spent 3 months in HDU with MRSA.

The boards are a great place to share and let off steam. Be kind to yourslef.
advertisement