Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi, new here... introducing myself and what's happening now

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in New Member Introductions
Briefly, given exhaustion, cold at the moment.. Just about everything is coming from my c-spine. I have had pain problems for 15+ years which have grown worse with time, but nothing was diagnosed until I got very dramatic about the whole pain thing and went and broke my neck by falling down a long stairwell - about 20-25 ft [no landing in the middle and a only about a foot at the bottom before the door that stopped my flight]. I shattered two vertebrae in my neck. I think everyone in my family, myself included, thought it was a bit like breaking your leg at the time. It has taken a long time to understand how different this was..] At any rate, this seemed to get the doctors' attention and earned me my first (and I sincerely hope, last,) fusion, since my pain increased dramatically after my fusion. Since no one knows me yet, yes, of course I was kidding about breaking my neck to get a doctor to pay attention to my pain - definitely *not* intentional!). I have been told that more fusions are probably in my future given the generally lousy condition of my c-spine and the load/pressure the fusion is putting on the degenerated discs below.

I've had two periods when I have had wonderful pain control. Now isn't one of those times. I'm on a high dose of meds that I fear would send more than one doctor flying out his seat, and going up further isn't something I want to do, despite the fact that my pain isn't under the kind of control I would like right now/ I told my doctor I felt my dose and my tolerance were too high and that I wanted to go down on one of my medications which is not working very well for me.

I've just been through about 5 weeks about changing meds and then making further changes, and spent at least two of those weeks in serious withdrawal. Changing meds has been particularly frustrating b/c my pain is not under the kind of control it was a few months ago, and my doctor seems reluctant to convert more of my dose to the patch, which seems to work better for me. So, for now, I'm getting by as well as I can. My body is still adjusting to a new mix of meds, I'm in pain, and feeling some depression as well, so I'm not jumping into the tapering process with gusto quite yet.

I had a much longer introductory post here before, but decided to shorten it a bit and talk about my pm, cp, etc. in the forums when I've been around a bit longer.
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to Spine Health. I hope you find this board to be helpful to you. Unlike many other CP boards, members here tend to get to know each other, some become lifelong friends and meet in person. It's a pretty awesome place.

So how did you manage to break your neck? I would hope that that would get a doctor's attention.

Managing CP is a lifelong journey for many of us and I hope you can get yours leveled out some day.

"C"
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i hope you are able to get your meds into a good treatment plan. good luck and i hope to see you around the forum! Jenny :)
  • and welcome to SH. Good luck to ya and hope to see ya around the boards.
  • How do you do my friend!
    Glad to see you here.

I just wanted to stop on in and let you know I am here to help you and to support you!
    Everyone here is so great! And like haglandc has stated some real life long friednships develope from this board!

I hope that you will get familar with how things operate and for sure if you have any questions you can post them to a Moderator or in the rouble-shooting area!

So Welcome aboard!!!
    So happy your here! >:D<
    Chrissy
  • I am so sorry to hear of your plight. Have you considered a new PM? Some are afraid to actually give you what might control your pain. Constant, chronic pain can lead to so many other health problems. The stronger long acting opiates is what it takes for some of us to live a manageable life and are actually much safer for our bodies than the short acting meds. Good luck and please keep us posted.
advertisement