Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just venting

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
~X( It will be six weeks on Tuesday for me. I am still on soma and vicodine every now and then. I is usually 1 soma 3 times a day and the vicodine when I over do it. I hurt worse when I wake up or am in am car too long. I start physical therapy on Tuesday so hopefully we can address these problems.
I am one of the Americans who still smokes. I have cut down a lot and I am going to try to quite very soon. I only had to wear the soft collar when I was in the car or walking around outside. So I really did not wear it much. My NS says I am doing great, I still have to wear the bone stimulator for about another month.
My job was going to let me go if I did not return to work before the middle of October. I work in a factory which says they can accommodate any disability. Well I begged my doctor to let me go back, before he says I am ready. He set me up on tight restrictions until early next year. Guess what they said they might not have a job for me. Funny how they say they can accommodate everyone. So if they do not have anything for me to do I guess it is unemployment. As my NS said 3 months is the minimum to go back to work and it will take up to a year for the bone to fuse. He also said why the restrictions are the way they are is because with the ACDF you put more strain on the top and the bottom and you do not want to screw it up.
I totally understand what everyone is saying about pain meds. Do people really think we enjoy them? Trust me I am not getting high of them, sometimes they do not even help cut the pain and spasms. If I could take an aspirin and it would go away I would. When I had my kidney stone blasted in January and called the doctor to get more pain meds, the receptionist said her husband had it to and was good to go the next day. I wanted to scream at her and say " if I had a job where I sat on my a** all day I would be fine too. Now at my job I have the HR chick say how do you put your shoes on if you really cant move your neck. I told her I wear slip ons. I should have said I am not tying shoes for 12 hrs a day. I am so tiered of people treating us like we are either faking or we are junkies. I would much rather have done anything else then to get my neck cut open. On the outside we all look good except for our new battle scars, but on the inside when the muscles start to wake up and everything is going back to where it belongs is another story. I guess we all need to remember our pain did not happen over night and we lived with it a long time before surgery, so it will take a while for it to heal. Thanks for letting me vent.
advertisement

Comments

• thats why a collar comes in handy people know you are hurt and go out of their way sometimes to help you,.. they get out of my way when shopping, let me go before them, oh course theys stare at ne like Im from space but some people are really good..going back to a factory job is reallly pushing it,. I had that same surgery 4 years ago.. I pushed myself to go back at 3.5 months and Yep, Im back in again for second surgery, we dont think it has anything to do with it, but please be careful,, did you sign up for FMLA they have to keep your job for 12 weeks....
    Cyndi
  • FMLA and short term run togather. All I can say is something is wrong with the world when they just wont let people heal.
  • Vent all you need, it helps. People do not understand and I really don't think doctor's understand. I had the revision surgery and you do not want that. Take care of yourself and don't let people get to you. If you need to pm me feel free to do so.

Sharon
  • Not joking, if everyone came online and were sweetness and light, we would not know what realy to expect post surgery, besides which a good old "vent" will keep you cheerful.
  • vent away girl! I am a big whiner & find that venting helps to some degree.
    I am sorry to hear about your employer. I can't belive what the HR chick said to you! I have been back to work & truly believe that I went back too soon. I don't have a factory job. I find myself feeling much better on weekends when I am able to rest & recover. I would advise to take as much time as you possibly can.
    What is a bone stimulator. I'm assuming it's to help fuse. But, how?
advertisement