Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

8 weeks Post-op/ It sure went by fast!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Spiney Friends,
So today was my 8 weeks (tomorrow) post-op check-up. I took my xrays I had done on Friday. NS says I have posteriorlateral fusing taking place, no interbody fusion yet. Says he doesn't expect interbody fusion until 4-7 months. I noticied one of my screws slightly protrudes through the body of the vertebrae. He says it is fine, screws look great. I asked about BMP overgrowth, he says he hasn't had a case since he started using it in 2002. Says risk is 1/2000. I asked how does all that stuff stay put. He says after he puts in the cage he puts in DBM (putty-like), keeps BMP from escaping. In the posterior lateral gutter fusion, tissue holds it in place, nerves aren't near enough, drift can happen rarely. He says the intermittent bil sciatic pain hips down is normal, will come and go.

I am to start weaning out of my TLSO brace over the next 2 weeks, gradually. I can bend and twist gradually, slowly, with caution. He says I no longer have a weight lifting restriction, just don't try to bench press 500#. I asked about PT, he said if you want it, I said yes, so he ordered "work hardening" PT, 3 sessions a week for 6 weeks. He warned it is normal to have increase in pain, with increase in activity, such as PT.

He says I can go back to work whenever I want after out of brace. It is up to me. My original RTW date is Nov 4, but 12 weeks (FMLA) is October 27, so I may aim for that. I think I'll see how PT goes (hopefully it doesn't take forever to set up-HMO :( ). Anyways he thinks everything is going great. Plan XRay, return to NS in 8 weeks. So all is good news. I just need to call for note to return to work, or extend leave, whichever I decide.

So that is my enormously long update if anyone is still reading. I am long winded I know. Thanks for all your support. This site is so great! >:D< >:D< Sue
advertisement

Comments

• You've done realy well and kept positive throughtout.

Don't over-do the PT to start with, but you sound 'good to go'!!!

Congrats and Hugs
    Snoops x
  • Cali-Sue that is al great news, I also cant believe that it has been 8 weeks for you. It seems like only yesterday........ :))(

You will enjoy PT once you get used to it, take some extra pain meds before going and rest after. Lets hope you HMO isn't tardy.
    DOnt hurry back to work yet, get used to what you can do and what is not so easy so you know your limitations when you do go back.

Great too that you are weaning out of the brace. I am glad I didn't have to go through that.

Thanks for all that BMP info, I had some of those questions written down for my next appointment.
    I too have a screw poking through my vertebrae, it is just a little longer then the bone I think. My doc also said not to worry.

YIPPEE you are a free GAL! <:P
    Hugs Sara O:)
  • Thanks Snoopy, I hasn't been easy but I am getting there. Good-luck with your surgery in October. I'll be looking for your recovery posts. >:D< Sue
  • on the great report.... =D> Good luck with the PT...no over doing it though and please , please keep us posted...it is always wonderful to hear positive reports!!!!!!!!!!! Take care....Miki
  • Thanks Sara,
    I am leary of returning to work too soon, although I am bored and have had some depression/anxiety issues as of late (started Lexapro today) which I am sure is related to too much time on my hands ;) .
    I think I'll wear the brace for active times and leave if off for less and see how it goes. So glad to be getting rid of it as it is stiff (TLSO) and hot and it has still been summer here but should start to cool off soon.
    Your screw sounds like mine, it just barely pokes through the other side. I was a little surprised as he used something called the Stealth O-arm 3-d navigation to place the screws, but maybe he even saw it then and was happy with it.
    I figured I might as well try PT, if I end up thinking it isn't beneficial, I won't go. My surgeon doesn't routinely order it, he left it up to me to decide. I am still doing my aquatherapy on my own at the Y as well. I just mainly am really stiff in the legs and hips so thought maybe it will help loosen me up. I mainly just want to be in as good a shape as possible, cause I don't want to risk getting hurt when I go back to work.
    Take care, >:D< >:D< Sue
  • Yippy!! Sounds great!

I am very hesitant even now about returning to work, and I have a few months yet. My doctor estimated January but he is concerned since I transfer non ambulatory kids (40-100 pounds) and work with some children who are very unpredictable. We will see.

Take it easy, just because you got a good report doesnt mean you need to clean the entire house.

Take Care,
    Michelle
  • Thanks Miki, I already have my first PT appt! This Thursday at 3:45, guess my HMO isn't as bad as I thought :)
  • Thanks Shell, yep it was my mopping and vacuuming that gave me my first major flare up. I will be good. I am going to an awards dinner tonight, WITHOUT MY BRACE, YIPPEE!
advertisement