Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recently found Bulged Disc...lots of pain in back and ribs...????

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Lower Back Pain
I was in a car accident a year ago this Sunday. At first they told me my left lower ribs were just badly bruised and maybe cracked. Over time they actually seem to hurt worse and a lump formed over the bottom of them and they are slightly higher compared to the right side. After complaining enough 4 weeks ago my doctor finally ordered an MRI. The discovered I have a buldged disc in my lower back. They told me this is whats also causing the problems with my ribs. Im in constant pain 24/7 some days worse than others. The only way I sleep in on a heating pad. Sleeping on my stomach is out of the question and same with sleeping on my sides...I have to sleep on my back. Im about to start seeing a pain management doctor on Tuesday. I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with something similar to this. Does it ever get fixed and go away? Im only 24 and a new nurse and hate to start my career out with back pain.
advertisement

Comments

• I asked the technician if he could see anything abnormal, and he said although he doesn't read the MRI's, he did see a bulging disc, but he didnt say where?? I am waiting to hear from my dr the results of the MRI. I should find out tomorrow. I too am wondering what types of treatment they do for this. I have been in severe pain for 4 years now. ~X( Im having new symptoms as well, such as weakness in my legs and am shaky when I walk. I am really hoping there is something that can be done for us! ;)
  • I am sorry to say that for the most part you might have to learn to live with a certain amount of pain. Like you, many years ago I started with a bulged disk at the L4-L5 location. After more than a year of physical therapy I ended up having 2 surgeries, to have my back fused from the L4 to S1, with the addition of screws and rods to hold it n place.

Now after 10 years I have been under the care of doctors (pain management) for 4 years being treated with steroid injections into my back, with little to no relief from the pain. Now I am attempting to have a "spinal stimulator" implanted. I have just finished the trial (5 days), which I must say that I got more relief from it than the steroid injections. So I have asked the doctor to have it permanently implanted.

Bottom line through is that I have learned to live with a certain amount of pain.

I wish you all the luck in the hope that you find a treatment that will help in giving you some pain relief.
    Chilosa said:
    I was in a car accident a year ago this Sunday. At first they told me my left lower ribs were just badly bruised and maybe cracked. Over time they actually seem to hurt worse and a lump formed over the bottom of them and they are slightly higher compared to the right side. After complaining enough 4 weeks ago my doctor finally ordered an MRI. The discovered I have a buldged disc in my lower back. They told me this is whats also causing the problems with my ribs. Im in constant pain 24/7 some days worse than others. The only way I sleep in on a heating pad. Sleeping on my stomach is out of the question and same with sleeping on my sides...I have to sleep on my back. Im about to start seeing a pain management doctor on Tuesday. I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with something similar to this. Does it ever get fixed and go away? Im only 24 and a new nurse and hate to start my career out with back pain.
  • Maria I have read your post and i am well emh thinking...emh nurse,back problems.....not a good combination.u know nursing is an extremly physical demanding job, i was not a nurse but i was an auxillary and i tell you i wish now if i could turn back the clock that i gave it up as soon as my back problems started to get worse............u know my advice to you maria would be prevention is better than cure, yes i understand u worked hard for your nursing career and u probably love your job............but is there maybe another career u could follow, im only thinking of , maybe u dont do alot of physical work?.but still long hours on ur feet, i hope all goes well with the pain management i really do but im just concerned with u doing nursing that u are causing damage.and once its done its done..remember noone can give u a new back ..........just thought id post and give u something to think about, u know nurses spend all their working career helping others and looking after them.ask yourself this who will look after you after u have looked after everyone else?????
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,740
    ">image

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    Maria, that lump over one of your ribs might be the aftermath of broken ribs. I had a couple of ribs displaced during some massage therapy and there is still a 'high' spot when you move down my rib cage.
    In terms of the bulging disc, the biggest matter is if the disc is pressing on a nerve root or not. If its not(then you would probably have more localize pain and not pain down the leg) then you might be able to treat it with
    conservative methods. Many people have had luck with this and never needing surgery. What has your doctor told you about what to do with the bulging disc?
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.