Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Calling Monday to schedule surgery

Sparky123SSparky123 Posts: 133
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I've think I've given up hope that PT is going to do anything so I'm calling the Doc on Monday to schedule TLIF surgery. After each PT appointment I'm feeling more and more pain and it's also starting to go down my leg again. I really wanted to stay away from surgery because of the uncertainty of returning to my job after it, but maybe I was meant to do something else as a career. One thing is for sure, I sure am glad I found this forum, it has kind of given me a calmness in making this decision because so many of you have the same pain and feelings as I do and at least some people know what its like to go through this. I will of course keep you all up to date on my progress.

Mark
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Mark,

Having surgery is a very difficult decision to make, at least it was for me. I wish you the best of luck.

Yvonne
  • Mark,

Have you seen an other doctor to get a second opinion? If several qualified surgeons suggest surgery as your only viable alternative, then go for it. It is not a decision to be taken lightly, but most people who ran out of other options (myself included) were happy to eventually find relief through surgery.

Let us know what happens. Should you decide to opt for the surgery, there is a lot of good practical information on this site to help you through the process.

Good luck,

Kin
  • be feeling relieved now you have made a decision. AS Kinpain says it really doesn't hurt to get asecond opinion but I noticed that it is a work injury and that may not be possible for you.
    Either way now you just need to keep as fit as possible for your surgery as it will really speed your recovery.

You can even spend your recovery doing some investigations into alternate careers, maybe an on-line course to add to your qualifications.

Look at it as a blank slate and you now get to write on it.
    Blessings Sara O:)
  • Mark , I wish you the best of luck in all of this and yes , please do keep us posted. If I can do anything for you then please just let me know. Take it easy and follow your doctor's orders....no over doing it Mister. Take care....Miki
  • Yes, good luck with your surgery. When it gets to the point of not being able to live with the pain, then you need to take the leap. GOOD LUCK to you and keep us posted ;)

Sandra
  • Hi Mark and all contributors
    Firstly I was very lucky and didn't have to make the descision about having surgery [no choice in the matter ],but I must say after having my surgery I was very pleasantly surprised at the healing powers of the body.
    I obviously don't know the extent of the job you will need, but if it is of any use to you,I had 5 vertebrae bolted together [ t11 plus the two on either side - whatever they
    are ] in april this year and although I still get muscle spasms and twinges every occassionally I am extremely happy with the outcome. I consider I have about 80% use compared to what I had before , but compared to the alternatives I am rapt.
    A few suggestions if I may ---
    Post surgery try to walk as soon as you are able. Don't over do it , but it is a job you have to do.

Be aware as to how much medication you are receiving. I found I only needed a third of what they were willing to give me.

You will also probably require a little of what I call - Mental Maintainance - Take the time to remind yourself of the stresses and trauma your body has just gone though and that there are going to be moments of gloom at times-- big deal -- you'll be surprised how quickly you get over it.

When you first start your recovery you may be surprised and dissappointed at some of the seemingly small things you can't do , but that will only lead to great happiness when you find that you can do them again.[ I remember only too well , the sheer exhileration when I worked out how to wipe my own bum again !!!!!!] Seemingly trivial now , but a bloke thought he was just so clever at the time.

Hopefully the descision you make will help to ease your pain and I sincerely hope you have a trouble free recovery.
    Regards,
    Steve from downunder
  • I have a work related injury and I had no problem getting a second opinion. I called and asked first and was told by all means to get a second opinion. Then I had to see a doctor from workman's comp who also had to agree to the surgery. Good luck with your decision!
advertisement