Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Changing Symptoms Worrying Me

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
I have a moderate central disc herniation at the L4-L5 levels and was having constant leg stiffness, burning, cramping, and twitching, without much back pain. I saw my general doctor shortly after reinjuring my back going to a chiroprator that and he put me on 500mg Diflunisal pills for the inflammation, klonnopin for the twitching and anxiety, and told me to take it easy for a little while and ice 2-3 times daily. At work my boss also let me sit instead of standing for my 8 hour shift, and I totally stopped going to the chiro.

All of this seemed to help drastically with the stiffness, burning, cramping, and even helped the twitching a little bit, and I thought I was headed in the right direction. But I recently had a move which I could not help but be a little physically active for and now I have gotten some different symptoms hit me the last week that worry me all over again. The last week I have gotten some actual back pain and soreness in my lower back with a little stiffness along with some butt and hip pain mostly on my right side. Also my right leg has been weak almost causing me to limp a little bit in the morning. If I get to walking a little bit the leg seems to warm up and feel normal, but if I stand or sit for awhile it freezes up and Its akward to walk. The back seems to be sore more than anything, if I sit up against it or rub my lower back is when I get pain. Are these changes in symptoms normal? Im really worried about my right leg, what could be causing the weakness/numbness? I still worry about ALS. How many of you constantly have changing symptoms or symptoms similar to mine. The weakness worries me a lot.

andy
advertisement

Comments

• Hiya Andy
    Welcome to Spine Health, >:D< i hope we can help you with your concerns :) , but we only advise you on our personal experiences :? . We want you to know you are not alone :) . I have a prutruding lump in the L4/L5 S1 area :O . The symtoms you have are more or less the same as what i have :''( .The only real difference that i get is swollen ankles,legs and feet and constant back pain straight the way across my lower back :''( . I also have the siatic pain down my right leg :''( , like you my problems are mostly my right side :S . Are you having any treatment from the hospital :? ? What have the doctors said about all this? 8> Does the cramping grab your right leg mainly? :''( Quinine is a known medication for cramps and helps alot :) .PM me any time. :H

Angie x
  • Hiya Andy
    Sorry i had to come back to this post but paul beat me to it, he has asked what i was going to ask.

Angie x
  • I started having symptoms in june with leg stiffness and back pain. Immediatly I started thinking the worst (ALS)becuase im a natural hyprocondriac. My MRI showed the herniation, but I had to wait 2 months to see a nuerosurgeon. Since Im impatient I went to a chiro and started decompression treatment which helped the back pain but actually made my legs worse. Then I tried message therapy which actually brought back my back pain. I saw 2 nuerologists in the meantime as well and had 2 EMG's done which came back clean but both were unsure if my disc was causing my leg problems and told me to monitor it. By the time I saw the neurosurgeon he said that my type of herniation could definitly cause all these symptoms and recommended me considering epidurals. Im scared to take the shots cuz i hear that they hurt like a bitch so i went the route of stronger anti-inflamitories, which relieved a lot of the stiffness but now i get the bad back aches and the leg weakness just on one side now. The nueorsurgeon said he wanted to wait until atleast january and see where i was at with my symptoms and try to lose some weight before considering surgery. Should i just suck it up and try the epidurals??? Im not sure what to do but that is a summary of my treatments.

Andy
  • Forgot, originnally i had stiffness in both legs with the burning,cramping, and twitching, and now after taking the medicine it seems to have isolated in my right leg only. I get frequent "pinching" pains in my lower back on the right side and if i lean against it it hurts and is sore. Hope this helps paint a better picture.

andy
  • Hiya Andy
    Dont see what you have got to lose by having the epidural :O , the injection will hit the source of the pain straight away :? . It will help with your leg pain and back pain @) . Thats what i have been told because i am actually waiting to have some more done :''( .Andy you say you get pain on your right side where is the pain exactly? :? what kind of pain do you think it is? :< A herniation can cause so many problems and also cause referred issues :''( .

Angie x :H
  • The pain in my back is more like a "pinching" pain or an aching pain. I dont get many sharp pains but sometimes that too. The leg pains is usually that of a cramping/pulled muscle type of pain. If I stand for a long period of time my legs tend to ache like ive ran a marathon or something.
  • The doc said since I have a central disc herniation, the disc is not messing with my pain censors and that is why i dont get the sharp shooting pains.
  • I see the neuologist again in december and the nuerosurgeon again in january but i left his nurse prac a voicemail today with my changing symptoms to see if we should move that up or not. The nuerosurgeon said he wanted to wait till january to see where i was with my symptoms and see if surgery was an option or not.

andy
advertisement