Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Thought I'd give everyone an update

LoLLo Posts: 694
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
So tomorrow I will be one week post op my interbody fusion, Anterior/posterior approach. Radical discectomy, plastic cages & bmp through the front, screws and rods through the back.

Some background for anyone reading that isn't familiar with me or my situation.... I had back pain for a few years but thought it was normal until I developed sciatica in my right leg in February 2007. I was in and out of my doctor's office each time only receiving pain meds, anti inflammatories, and muscle relaxers. I started physical therapy in the beginning of the year, then chiropractic... Had an MRI that showed a moderate herniation at L4-L5, then had a cortisone injection under x-ray, with no relief, and was finally referred to my current Neurosurgeon. Plan was to do a Microdiscectomy to get the pressure off my nerve and try to take care of the sciatica so that I could start physical therapy again (Aquatic) to strengthen my back and see if that route would fix my problems. Well, it didn't, and symptoms not only persisted, but got worse. My surgeon and I decided on a fusion, and set a date of October 16. A couple weeks ago I ended up reherniating L4-L5 while bending over cleaning soap off the tub shaving my legs. I started to get numbness in my right leg and foot and also pain down the front, whereas usually it was the side and back. My right foot became very weak and I couldn't drive without lifting my entire thigh off the seat to take my foot off the gas. At times I'd end up tripping over my foot. They started me on steroids on Friday, sent me for another MRI that night (which showed the reherniation) and had me come to the office on Monday. They told me what happened and said my nerve was being severely irritated, and that they were worried the weakness wouldn't go away, that it would end up being permanent. My doctor was not at the office so the head NS there looked at it and said he didn't recommend leaving it for very long at all. They had me come back on Thursday to see my doctor and told me to prepare myself for possible surgery on Friday to remove the pressure off the nerve. I saw my surgeon and she said she really didn't want to leave it the way it was until my fusion on the 16, that we were risking serious nerve damage and my foot being weak and possibly useless for the rest of my life. Gave me a few options, but we ended up seeing if we could move my fusion up. So she moved her schedule around and called the Vascular surgeon right then and there in front of me and found out if he could switch his up, and they decided to do my surgery the next morning.

So I had my fusion (6 inch incision in the front with stitches, and 4 incisions in the back two about 1 inch, and two that are about 3 inches diagonally with staples) and had a really hard time in the hospital... Waking up from surgery... I had no idea pain that intense even existed. Pain medication wasn't controlling it at ALL. They gave me the PCA pump with Morphine, and upped the dose 5 times... Still nothing. Finally they started giving me injections of Dilaudid with Valium and that was helping somewhat. When I finally got out of bed the next morning, I started feeling somewhat better. My stomach was KILLING me. I was on a clear liquid diet the entire time. Once I finally got my digestive system working acceptably, I was discharged (4 days later). Once I got home I felt so much better. They sent me home with Dilaudid and Valium, and my amazing brace. It's a soft velcro one, with the hard support right near my spine, with a lace connecting the two sides that gets pulled to tighten and velcros around to the front. I have been walking a lot... Went out to the store on Tuesday, the day after my discharge, went to my son's doctor's appointment yesterday, have been sitting in a recliner, walking, sitting, walking, all day... As long as I have my brace on I am good. When I take my brace off, it feels like my guts are falling out. My stomach is still really swollen. It still hurts inside when I eat and try to use the bathroom. My stomach is very numb around the incision site, yet the incision site itself hurts a lot still. The steri strips are still on it, and I can't wait until it heals. I sleep on my back, and tend to wake up once a night for pain killers. A lot of people comment that it must be because I'm so young... I don't think that's it. I think it's that I have a positive attitude towards my recovery. I don't pay much attention to the pain.... I wear my brace and since I feel support, I do what I can do, and that's enough for me. I do have times where I get up without it, and walk around brace-free, so my core muscles are NOT losing any strength. I have great help with my son by my boyfriend, and he takes good care of me, too. I am excited to see where the recovery takes me, and to see how far I can go. Kind of upsets me when people say "you must just be in a lot less pain than everyone else"... Because that is not the case. I take my pain meds and my muscle relaxers, and you can bet your booties that at night when I take my brace off and lay down, my body aches. My body hurts just as much as the next person's.... But it's all about your attitude towards it and how much you let it get you down. If you can walk.... Walk and do something fun :) If you can sit.... Sit and watch one of your favorite movies. Find ways to make your situation work for you. I am one week post op and hurting and HAPPY.

So take this for whatever it's worth, whatever you'd like. I just know that I have never had such a positive outlook on my back situation as I do now. THANK YOU to every one who has been there for me, supported me, given me their experiences, their advice, letting me vent... I appreciate it all very, very much :)

I hope everyone is doing well and having a good night. To those of you who are awaiting surgery, I wish you the very best & hope you feel better than ever!
advertisement

Comments

• Your positiveness - not sure that is a word but... - is inspiring! Thank you.

And your front incision will start to feel better soon - and that helps so much! (My anterior incision felt better long before the one on my back.) It was much easier for me to find a comfortable sleeping position when my front incision stopped hurting!
  • No, no thank YOU :)

Yeah? I hope my belly one feels better soon. I want to lay on my side for a short while but my belly is like, um what do you think you are doing? lol.
  • As I said in another post, your positive attitude is fantastic and will go a huge way towards a successful outcome. It's great that you have such good support from your bf, especially when you have a little boy to care for.

Keep up the positive work! :)
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• Hi Lo,

I finally logged back on here after a year and a half absence - largely because I was "living my life" after first discectomy. First post I read was yours - your attitude is incredible. I feel VERY much the same way (most days, I won't lie I have my moments).

I just wanted to wish you continued success on your recovery, and to tell you I'm inspired.

Best,
    radiogirl
  • Wow did not know all that about you. You are awsome. I hope you start to fell even better. May you soon be able to sleep in any position. Blessing to you and a big hug. Thanks too for your posts to me. >:D<
  • Just dont ask Lo to shave her legs and she'll e fine.

Glad to hear your doing well and looking at the bright side of all of this,,,,, figured you would anyways.

all the best to you..

sean

• keep smiling all the way Lo! >:D<
  • =)) =)) =)) im keeping a very very close on on her =)) =)) =)) she is my baby bear :D >:D< :))( >:D< :))( she shaves those legs im going to get her by cbyer space ;)
  • Thank you very much :)

I hope you find relief soon! Sounds like you've been through quite a feat :( Wish you only the best!
  • Thank youuu! :) Sleep in another position would be sweet!!!

I hope you're doing alright!!!! >:D<
  • Your comment made me laugh out loud :)

• Your post made me laugh out loud, too :)

Yes, you are keeping very good watch on me. Take good care of me :) I appreciate it soooooooo much. It means a lot to me! >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<

P.S. I got some ice on myself last night. Lol. Okay, wait, let me specify, a bag of frozen peas. But you get the idea! Hehe
  • =))
    Now this is the challenge of the decade, as is painting the toe nails.
    If you have any suggestions, I am sure Lo, Terr and I would appreciate a speedy reply.

i know dry shampoo is a miracle in a tin! =))
  • I was absolutely crazed to shave my legs so the first couple of times I used an electric razor by lying in bed on my side, pillow between my knees, reaching down and shaving the log that was on top with the hand that was on top. Does this make any sense at all? Anyway, it was not perfect by a long shot but at least it helped! Then I progressed to sitting on a straight back chair by the bathroom sink (sideways to the sink) with one foot on another chair in front of me (leg bent a knee) and reaching my arm as far as I could without bending, managed to shave. Now, I can sit on a shower stool and shave - heaven! But the trick initially was to be able to get my hands to my legs without bending. The toe nail thing I still can't manage.
  • Just proves that with the right attitude and caring help you can tolerate and pull through just about anything. I have a feeling that with your positive attitude and outlook you'll be shaving your legs again in no time! :B

PS - If you have a minute could you please send me the link to your "amazing brace"? I had a TLIF last year (bone graph never started to grow) and am going to have a 360 November 4th.
  • Lol YES! Please. If anyone has a solution, we need it... We need to hear it... ASAP! lol.
  • Sounds like you have tried quite the projects. Lol. You are determined! My temporary solution has been enlisting the boyfriend to shave for me. Hehehehe.
  • Hehehe your post also made me laugh out loud. I love that. :)

I THINK I sent you the link, but I've been having some issues with my inbox, so just to be safe I will send it to you again right now.

I hope the 360 fixes it for you!! Sucks you have to have another surgery :( I'm rooting for ya!
  • Hey Lo!! Glad to hear all went well for ya! This is my first time on since my surgery! I think we had the same day!! I ended upstaying a couple of more days in the hospital, but it was ok. Missed the family a lot, but hey, it happens!
    I'm sooo glad to hear how postitive you are through this! You keep me strong and I love to read your posts.
    I do believe you about the pain level, it all depends on how you manage thigs, and yes if you are doing something to keep your mind occupied, then it makes the pain so much easier to handle.
    I do have my ups and downs, but so does everyone else.
    Keep smiling and keep in touch!

Kim
  • love your positive mental attitude. :) one day at a time we get through the rough spots. and there are a bagillion reasons to be thankful even in our darkest moments. pain sucks. I know I'm tired of it... but I'm so thankful for the fusion... and the opportunity to get better and better instead of worse and worse. stay strong, Lo!
  • You are the sweetest thing ever :) That means a lot to me. I am glad that I can help someone in any way.

I was wondering where you were!!! :( I missed you. I knew your surgery was right around mine and I thought about you a lot. I hope you are feeling as well as you can, given the circumstances. I will say a prayer for you and I wish you the best :)
  • Thank you!!! :) One day at a time is right... Very true. We can't worry about tomorrow because it isn't guaranteed... But one thing we ALL have is today... And when today becomes tomorrow, we can never do it over. So I want to look back at tomorrow and smile, knowing I made the best of it, instead of seeing it as just another number on the counter of life....

I think it's awesome you, too, are thankful for your fusion and the opportunity to get better! I hope you get better... VERY, VERY better :) Hehe
  • Keep up the positive energy. Also please keep us posted on your recovery. It's great that you have your BF and son to help you out. Please don't try to do too much too soon. I remember my early twenties when I thought I was invincible. I have since learned to be a bit gentler with myself. Not trying to preach...just want to offer you the benefit of my experiences. Here's wishing you a beautiful recovery.

Dryden
advertisement