Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please post surgery patients be very careful ;) UPDATE

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
OK we all have done it.
I have updated this with a list with things that came from my discharge instructions.

Most that have already had some kind of spinal surgery.
I should of learned from my own advice and well doing it before.
I am at the 2 week mark of a PLIF revision L4/S1 with hardware and a cage.
Yesterday Oct 2nd. I did not feel to bad. So I decided to take a shower. Rest for 15 minutes. Do some cups that were in the sink. Sat then did 2 loads of laundry with my grabber. I also sat and folded a few.
Now as of last night I was achy but nothing to complain about.
TODAY WELL }:) }:) :''( :''( :''( :''( You will pay for it ~X( ~X( It happened so much last year on the old site. Us all "overdoing"
PLEASE always remember our bodies just went through major trauma. It's going to take A LONG time for them to get back to their "NORM".
I ache from head to toe, SORE oh my I do not even know how to begin to explain it.
When you can feel your meds kicking in and they do not work, you over did.
Of course ALWAYS remember any NEW pain that arises PLEASE call your Dr.
Problem with me is I'v done this 2 times so I figured well some baby simple things won't be so bad. Not all in ONE DAY. Do them in separate days.
PLUS its cold out.
I also have fibromyalgia, arthritis, osteoarthrits and well thats a equation for diaster on the BODY. :T :& :jawdrop:

So everyone PLEASE just sit back no matter how bored or frustrating. Because 9 chances out of 10 it will come back to haunt you. #o
Get on here and relax if you get bored watching tv or movies etc. Try helping out others with some of their issues.
Believe me it is a great help to members and non members browsing the board hearing that they are going through the same thing you are ;)

Everyone let the healing begin. WE are all here to support each other in every way we can through the post op healing process plus pre op or even just chronic back pain and all types of other issues.

This is not a rant. Just some information from one spiney to another. ;)

UPDATE: List
1. First 2 weeks rest when you get home. Your going to be sore. Even though you may feel up to doing things, please consult with your Dr.
2. Take as many small naps as possible. Resting helps the healing process.
3.Ice the areas that hurt the most. Ice is a natural pain reliever. 15 min every hour. Also brings down the swelling.
4. Go by your Drs rules on sitting. Most will agree a straight back chair is the best. This supports the spine.
5. If you have stairs and you feel uneasy about climbing them. Then don't. Also consult your Dr on this.
6. Lots of pillows will help keep you comfortable.
7. Take your meds on schedule. Just because you feel semi ok it is best to stay on your Drs schedule.
8.Please go by the no bending, twisting, leaning rule. This will cause you unexpected pain. Please call your Drs office with any new increased pain that is out of the "norm" of recovery.
9. Watch for swelling, discharge, fever and increased pain in your incision. Keep it dry and clean if instructed to. Also antiboitc cream is great for itching, pain and scarring. Please again make sure your Dr is ok with this.
10. Walking. This is what makes our healing process go a bit faster. Please start off slow. If only 5 minutes, or just in your yard. Then let it be that. Gradually build up as your strength gets better.
11.Leave housework ALONE. I know it is hard. Especially if you live alone. If you can anyway possible get a neighbor, friend or family member to help out that is the best.
12. Meals have these done before you go into surgery. Make sure you have stocked up on water, laxatives, soft foods, soups. Pre make some meals that you can freeze and pre heat in the microwave etc. Makes for things to go much easier.
13.ALWAYS use your grabber given to you or that you bought. Never try to bend to try to pick it up. That is what they are for. Plus hey you can chase the animals and kids with it =))
14.Make sure you have al your meds filled before you leave for the hospital or come home. Most of the time they give your new scripts to you at the hospital. If you can have a family member or friend go fill them for you. It saves alot of hassle on the way home.

These are some things Drs do not explain is the "Afterwards"
All these restrictions are not going to apply to everyone. PLEASE go by all your Drs discharge instructions.
Any NEW PAIN that is bothersome or is causing you discomfort PLEASE call. That is what they are there for. NO question is "silly".

PLEASE do not go by everyone's recovery thinking yours is going to be the same. They are not. Some people are back to do their normal life fast. Some slow and some VERY slow.
If you feel depression coming on which is normal with these types of surgery again contact your surgeon or your personal care physician. There are many things out there that can help that issue.

Everyone have a wonderful FALL weekend !!! REST/WALK/REST/WALK/REST/WALK thats it~~~~
Terri :X >:D< :* O:)
advertisement

Comments

• I totally agree, I over did and now Im suffering.. but i just feel so lazy not doing stuff. and then I think My husband has to this and that and work.. Of course I did all that before my surgery but its somehow different when your sitting and watching.....
  • Good reminder for all of us! (But I think I read it a few hours/activities too late today)
  • This is what I fear most about surgery...not being able to be active,this will drive me nuts,lol, ~X( weather it hurts or not I go,go,go, I cant set back and let womeone else do it for me. I hope I can MAKE and or convince myself after surgery to let things be and let others help me out. Thankyou so much =D> for posting this I have got to get myself geared up for this ...Or rather geared down? I have been reading your posts, they help so much. Rose
  • Meg so sorry I did not post this earlier. Of course I have been laid up in bed all day. And when the pain got worse I figured I would give some GOOD OLD advice. Just rest hun ice heat meds and sleep as much as you can. It will be a very tuff night for me that is for sure. Your not alone :)

So glad I was able to help with some useful information. Thats what this post was meant for.
    Still right now after another 10mg of percocet , 350 of soma and 10 mg of valium I still do not feel any differnt.
    It hurts that is for sure. So I pulled things that should not have been pulled yet.
    Right now I am going to try to make it downstairs for a quick hot shower and clean jammies.

I understand about not sitting still I have those days.
    I was very active before my health issues started. Well that is put to the side for a long while. And its more acceptance then anything.

It is very hard watching our other halfs work all day then come home and work till everything is done for the next day.
    I found the best way is not to be in the same room. It will tend not to bother you as much.

So please just take it slow. Your going to get frustrated that is a given. There is no way around that one.
    That is why we have to learn so much before we even go into surgery.

Huggies
    Terri xoxoxoxox
  • Yesterday I helped my nephew write his resume and I spent too much time sitting. I also went along with hubby to grocery shop. I didn't push the cart but I did take the baby off his hands to change a diaper while we were at the store. Last night for the first time since surgery a week ago, I felt some slight pain in a few familiar places in my leg. Today I did nothing but lay around and take my meds. The meds make me sleepy which I believe is a good deturant. When I'm up and out of bed sometimes I don't realize I'm bending slightly or twisting. I wish I had a buzzer that would go off and keep me in line when I'm not paying enough attention to my body mechanics. As for walking, how much is good and how much is too much? Is waiting until I feel some pain too late? or is it a good indicator?
  • so yeah... I can relate to overdoing it. uugh!!! it's just so easy to overdo it... too many opportunities through out the day. this was just a bad week. hadn't had one of those in a while. started with last sunday... it was a beautiful hot day and we were all out in the pool. I was the last one to get out! too fun and I felt NO pain. what a beautiful feeling. so I swam for over an hour. wow! felt soooo good. that night I could hardly walk!!! and this week... PT was brutal all 3 times. so... live and learn. tomorrow it's supposed to be a nice day here again. I will get in the pool and try to chill more than exercise. B)
  • Walking???? Good question. When your body tells you to stop....... You should always just start in short distances Like 5 minutes, then to 10 then 15 you get the idea.
    Thats what I did last year till all heck broke loose but that is another whole story not to do with my back.

Now HOT WHERE SWIMMING WHERE????? :? :O :D Oh man to be somewhere its warm right now. I just got so mad at my best friend who leaves tomorrow for the bahamas for a dang week. How dare her!! X( :D

I am the same way with sleeping. Last year first surgery I could not sleep on my side for almost 2 months.
    I came home and could sleep on my left side cause it put pressure on the graft and felt so comfy.
    But I also am finding myself going back and forth during the night. I'm really in alot of pain if I stay flat on my back. So its a no win. I do not think we are doing any damage by that. As we are not lifting etc. Its not your normal bending twisting while standing. So I think we are safe.
    My script came today. UGGHH they gave me a 100 pills the way I feel now they will probably be gone in the 10 days and they then will probably want to wheen me down to hydrocodone. YUKKKK its like taking a reg motrin. But we shall see what happens. The graft pain is better except for RIGHT NOW X( but that was my fault.

So I am glad I got to people with this post.
    Everyone please just rest, let your body heal. Go by your drs orders not our own..
    It will be better in the long run.

Huggies
    Terri >:D< xoxoxoxox
  • I'm in Oklahoma. it's still nice and warm here in the afternoons. B)
  • Amen, Teri, EXACTLY!! You simply cannot rush this whole healing process. You simply must, bored or not, just REST!!

I had my PLIF in Jan, after 2 priors & here's what I did (nor not)for the 1st 3 months: no BLT (of course!) No housework of ANY kind; no exercise except WALKING (no PT); no meal prep; no social life; no visitors; took AM nap & PM nap & drugged-out sleep at night; took opioids for 5 months; didn't shave my legs from January to March (yech!) but really didn't care; cried when I felt like it, laughed when I could; watched "Days" and other mindless stuff (couldn't concentrate on anything else much) & told myself "this too shall pass" ---and now after 9 months ( & a return to a F/T teaching job) it's lots better---not perfect & never will be prefect (the most sobering thing about all this) but MUCH BETTER than at 0-6 months out...

It' just wrecks you. I'm not trying to scare anyone or bring anyone "down" but it is the hardest thing you'll ever do. So respect that, go with it, allow for the tedious boringly LONG recovery periord & know that it DOES end...but not quickly. And when you start to feel better & stronger, that's the dangerous point: do LESS when you start to feel better. Ration out your energy: if you do something or go somewhere on one day, then REST the next day, etc. Say "NO!!" a lot! Protect your healing time! Be stingy w/ yourself! Stay in your PJ's and put out the "Do Not Disturb" sign & tell any telemarketers (b/c phone calls make you tired) "I've just had surgery" & hang up...seriously! Everyting extra that requires any effort takes your energy away from healing the wound & making the fusion work...so be CAREFUL and protective of that. What we've gone thu....OMG....99.9% of the general population has no idea of the pain level...so take your Gold Medal for withstanding that & feel proud!

I rememeber when it took me 45 minutes to take a shower, hanging onto the grab bar the whole time, feeling woozy & weak,only to fall back into bed again & wonder how I'd ever be well... but now I am (mostly) so Terri, thank you for staring the post & Rose, just be prepared to "stay down" for awhile....there simply is no "quick fix" to this...but in the LONG RUN, you'll be OK. If you have your surgery as scheduled in Dec, by NEXT SUMMER (not sooner, sorry!) you should be feeling much better. But those 1st 4-5 months....! Zowie! I thought, after 2 priors, I was prepared...hah! Nope! :S

It's not a sprint; it's, rather, a long-distance run. But we can do it--I did it-- you will also. Just let TIME do its healing work --it'll drive you nuts--I always wished I could "divorce" my mind from my body for the duration, but you just can't....sort of like having a baby: just gotta get thru it, & beyond it to the reward that awaits!

Blessings to everyone! Have a restful weekend~!
  • I must reassure you that it goes away at about 4-5 months out. And once it's gone, it's gone, thank God!
    But my iliac crest bone marrow graft area felt like an ice pick in there from day one to about 5 months later...it often hurt worse than the incision...

And it ITCHED like crazy as it filled in...!

ICE ICE ICE...and try not to lie directly on it.

But i's the Gold Standand for a good fusion, so console yourself w/ that thought!

But OW!! I totally get it! (But again, it goes away & STAYS away, unlike some of the other fall-out!)

~Lakeside
  • Lakeside,
    I copied and pasted and emailed your post to my husband. I cried today I hurt so bad. and just last week I was so overjoyed I was feeling so great. today's PT SUCKED. too much pain for sure. so... I'm glad it's not me NOT healing, but rather, that it IS a slow process and I AM on the road to recovery. thank you for reminding me. I sent it on to him cuz this is all new for him, too. he thought maybe I should call my NS today. I told him I thought this was probably just a bad day. I probably overdid it or something. so... just wanted to calm his fears. anyway... thanks for your post!!!
  • Really helpful being reminded that healing/fusing is the priority - or as a friend of mine says "Recovery is your full-time job!" - and you can't afford to lose that job.

These reminders are so critical - I need to put them on my walls!

Thank you!
  • My surgeon says he is going to try to go in my left side. My last surgeon went in the front, the back, and each side for bone grafts. Has anyone had just the side surgery? Sounds nice to me for recovery compared to last time where no matter how I lied, I was on an incision.

Jan
  • Just 48 hours until my 1st op, so am checking the site to ensure I've taken everything on board.

Not doing stuff will be the hardest but I've started my knitting, got loads of books, sis brought round audio books, my laptop is wireless, we've had digital tv installed.... oh I bought 2 grabbers and waiting for the new featherbed mattress topper to arrive. So I think I'm ok and prepped - but I bet there is still loads I've forgotten.

Off to get a few food stuffs in for hubby and 15yr daughter while I'm in hosp for 10 days, and my parents will be here to help when I get home - so cleaning won't be an issue as mum loves that and ironing!

Thanks to all for the information that allowed me to be so organised - and REST REST REST until I get back. I want to hear that you're all doing great by then xxx
  • Hi G! Glad my post helped...just keep resting & waiting...it does get better. And yes, your recovery IS a full-time job...and what a job it is~!

You'll have those good days/bad days/in-between days over 7 over---think in terms of weeks/months, not days. I found that very helpful. Each month found me a bit stronger & feeling a tad better....it's so slow, you often don't notice the progress or improvement, so if you can occupy yourself w/ something distracting, that helps too.

I read "War & Peace"! Really! 1,287 pages! (After I could concentrate, as at first, your mind is as shot as your body.)

And Snoopy, good luck! We'll be rooting for you! A 3-level w/ disc stuff...man oh man, you are Super Person for sure!

Beauiful day here today...may we all enjoy it however we can!

~Lakeside
  • Snoopy - Good luck.
    Learn from those before you and pace yourself.

That I believe is the hardest challenge we all face. The pain is nasty but won't break you. The frustrations of 2 steps forward and one back and giving in to the long recovery will irritate you more.

God Luck and post up as soon as you are able! >:D<
  • Don't forget to be pro-active with the BM issue! Make sure you have stool softeners, prunes, prune juice...you get the picture. If you take pain meds, you will most likely have a problem with this, so be prepared!
  • I need to say also to listen to your recommendations for wearing your brace!

I was told walking to the bathroom without the TSLO was OK. Today I needed to go to the basement due to an oil burner problem. Smoke, odor and alarms going off! I wasnt going to put it on so I could get there quickly, but then decided to take the time to put it on anyway.

I fell down the last 5 steps, hit a block wall and a large piece of tempered glass. I ended up bruising lots of things on my body and have a few small cuts. Xrays show all of my hardware is still in place and nothing is broken, although the ER doctor is recommending an MRI of the spine and hip just to make sure on Monday.

My point being, if I didnt put my brace on, I would likely be in worse shape right now due to the way I fell.

Shell
  • Just wanted to read this post and try to make it a habit to post rather than view and click off of it after reading. You guys are so great Terri You have a great attitude I have read some of your posts. I sure hope that pain level goes down. It's funny how we all know so much and do not apply it to us. I did this many times with my surgery X ??? I wish you and all the others here comfort. Blessing to you all >:D<
  • Thanks Terri for this wonderful tip!!! I can't believe all you wrote, it's great!!
    I am one who does over do it a lot, and I am hoping that I won't and will listen to my body. I am just so darn stubborn and my hubby hates that! I must say that my kids are being wonderful in helping me out and telling me I shouldn't do this and that. They will do it all for me! My 7 year old daughter has even put myu socks on, brushed my hair and is reading stories to me so I will sleep at night! Can you believe that?? She has been even watchi >:D< >:D< ng DVD's with me on my laptop cause I can't quite sit in my recliner in the livingroom, but she wants to spend every minute with me. She even asks me if I don't mind when she wants to go outside and play with her friends. She is just soooo sweet!
    My son who is 10, had a baseball game today and she even made him his sandwhiches so I didn't have to. (my hubby was in the shower, he forgot what time it was)
    I can't even go to the bathroom without someone asking me where I am going! It's kinda funny!
    There is just sooo much that I want to do, but try not to. I know that even doing some of the dishes will be a bad thing. I know what it's like to hurt the next day after doing things the day before. It's hard when your body is having a good day not to try things, but you really shouldn't.

Well, I just wanted to say "Thanks" Terri!!

Hugs!! >:D< >:D< >:D<

Kim
  • I am so very happy this post has come out to a good one.
    Please anyone add things that happened to you while recovering.
    It does help others as you can see.
    I'v been in bed since yesterday Friday.
    I tried to pick a few things off the floor with the grabber this afternoon but that was A NO !!!!
    The laxative finally kicked in tonight. UGGGHH.
    Even though I take them every other day.
    We have messed up bodies that is for sure!!

Kim I am so very happy your home. IM so sorry about your extended hospital stay. I think I mentioned that in your other post. All they do at my hospital is ask if your passing "wind" yeppers let ME OUT OF HERE =))

Especially once they switch you to oral meds, I surely do not want to be laying there, when I can be laying home.
    For you though it was probably good with the little ones home. They sound like sweethearts!! I'v had so many surgeries my kids just don't do anything anymore. But oh well we deal.

Keep up the recovery all!! For you bone graft people ICE ICE ICE and move around the house as much as you can. It does get better. ;)
  • Terri,

Sweartheart my friend and buddy!!! YOU ARE SO RIGHT!!!!

You know what is sick is I KNOW BETTER AND DO IT ANYWAY :&

Here is total justification of why I decided to walk 3MILES all at one time at 2 weeks post-op ACDF C4-5 5-6!!!!

There was an inseasonably cold weather front coming into the area and it was to bring high wind colder temps and snow to the mountains around my home.

SO~~~~~I decided I better get all the walking done before this system came through.

I am walking 3 miles a day---but NOT all at ONE TIME!!! DAH

Then today I forget to take a dose of my morphine Sulfate and NOW I AM REALLY IN PAIN!!!!

I just made a post earlier today of an update about me and I logged back on to check it and found this post.

Yes I am guilty. I know I need to walk but Terri is so right and all the people out there who are about to have surgery really need to listen to any person who has gone before you when we say BE CAREFUL not to OVERDO!!!
    If your walking and your body says stop turn around and go home immediately the DO IT!!! SIt down where you are and call someone.

For me I am really bad because i do live alone and I am also a do do doer! I am just like you Terri...I was the very active type and always was doing something active and or athletic!!

I have just realized that when I see me Ortho on the 14th I need to clarify a few things that are on your list and/or some of the things that others have listed.

Ok uncomfy and I gotta get some food in me...38 years old and when I don't feel good I still want my Mommmy. I was so happy when I had asked her to come a day early she was able to do so!!

OK one big question??? Do you all think that I am walking to mauch (usually 1 mile at a time 3 x a day) and that is the cause of my fatigue or it is just everything from having the surgery!!!????

Chrissy
  • Wow girl he went from all sides??????
    Now is this just for the grafts???
    For both my PLIF's I only have 1 incision in my back. They did not make a separate one for the bone graft. They took the graft from the top of iliac crest.
    I would check into that more..
    There is no reason to make two incisions . Only exception would be if your having a 360 fusion or a cervical fusion. Personal OPINION.
    Let me know.

Chrissy Chrissy Chrissy BOLD for not taking your meds missy :jawdrop: :* >:D< :*
    If you think that is causing the fatigue slow it down a bit. No its not to much walking at all especially for a cervical fusion. BUT REMEMBER your in school to. So the combination of school, healing, walking may be doing you in. Plus the living alone part.
    So slow it down a few paces. Just do 2 mile and see what happens. Then if your fine with that increase it back up to 2 then 3 you get the idea. THAT IS ALOT wow man. I did not get that far yet at your recovery period with my neck hunny.
    You need your rest to pumpkin!!!!!!!
    I am calling the cardio dr Monday I FOUND ONE YEAHHHHH near me. As today both legs froze but mainly the right leg went out to the side and I dragged it OH THE PAIN IN IT . :& :& And while I am lying in bed if I rub my foot on my calf it is sore, so something NOT GOOD is up and I need to be seen A.S.A.P. I should of done this back in Feb when they found the aortic calcification. I have no discoloration nothing of that sort. Just the PAIN. So hopefully if it is something like claudification or PAD we can get on meds fast and get it cleared up. Cause if that happens girlfriend when I am healed I will go back and take my EMT class again to recert and well who knows mabye my RN. hmmmmmmmmm let the story continue.. My legs is whats holds me back. I can handle the thing they call FIBROMYALGIA, I do not let that get the best of me like right now. Its painful and real that is for sure. BUT IT WILL NOT TAKE OVER ME!! :D :D :D :D

Ok guess the meds are kicking in as I am rambling . What is up with that anyway?? They don't touch the pain but I can talk up a dang storm :? :O 8} =)) :H ;)

Snoopy!!!!! GOOD LUCK ON SURGERY MY DEAR!!! You will do just fine!!!! POSITIVE THOUGHTS go in with. Thats the only way to do it.
    And tell the dr before they put you under, (mine asked) what works well on my pain??? I said dilaudid and man that is what I got in my pain pump!!
    And I am so curious to when you get home your pain level etc with using that bone marrow, stem cell.
    SO INTERESTING!!
    Huggies
    xoxoxoxoxoxox
  • Terry,

He went in the front thinking he could do it from there, but it was too bad. So he flipped me over and went in the back. The sides were for the grafts. I am going to a new surgeon now; he is the one that wants to go in the left side. I see him for preop on the 16th, surgery is on the 22nd of this month (Oct.). My spine is collapsing on top of the first repair on L3 L4 L5 S1. Now it also has bulging discs and has fallen to one side. My neck fusion is bulging, and the 3 levels below ( I had 4 level fusion on my neck) are bulging and I have severe narrowing of the canal. I still need to look up all the technical things so I can write them down here. I have had 3 doctors tell me mine is the worst they have seen. Then fix it already! Thanks for all the tips! I know them, but I need to see them again and make myself slow down after surgery. Last time I had no help at all due to last minute problems. This time I am getting home nursing hopefully, and a friend is coming to stay as much as she can. My one daughter and her family live right across the street and better help mom this time or I will be really upset. My other daughter only lives a mile away and can help too if she will. Usually they are really good, but went thru a very bad spell with my back surgery 2 years ago. I am the type that hates to ask for help, but I am at the point I will do anything to make my back and neck better. Pride doesn't help much when you aren't supposed to do anything! I live alone, so I need to suck it up and take the help that is offered.

Jan ( I had a discogram today for the second time, but by a different dr. What a difference! He knocked me out and I don't remember a thing. The first doctor didn't give me anything at all. That man needs to be kicked down low!)
  • Hey all,
    thanks for starting this thread!!
    I am planing to do a few errands with my Mom today but becasue she cam a day early we will have time to rest in-between the errands. It will be nice to get out!
    On Sunday's I only do errands and/or go to church...NO walking on SUnday! I try to give my body the one day to rest.
    Snoopy good luck with surgery! ((Hugs))

Cojanco, i had a diskogram on my neck in may if this year and they said they gave me versed, but I SURELY did not feel it or feel relaxed in the least bit! It was pretty awful to endure. They could not even give me any pain meds until they got me out of the scanner because I said I was going to throw up from the pain..very awful experience. They had to finish the scan...I made it through but once again before the P-meds I had to get the Pheongrin on board. In the end I could barley walk and did not know my name for about 16 hours so I just slept when I went home.

I certainly feel for anyone having that diagnostic test.

How come they do't give us neck surgery folks the grabber??
    I should have asked for one because I could have used it in the first week or two home from hospy.

One thing I can't remember from you list of stuff Terri adn i am not sure is lower back surgery floks need this after surgery, but for my neck surgery it was and still is a life saver. I did not have one the first time I had neck surgery and was a fool to not get one.

so to add to your list...

GET A SHOWER STOOL!!! I NICE one not t the kind with the little seat and spindly leggs!

I think my Mom after much looking around after my 1st day home finally found a good sturdy one at the Wal-mart. It is all plastic and has a wide seat with a removable back support. It has runbbery pads that keep it from moving on the bath tub floor. I will have to look at the name of it if anyone want to know the name just PM me. Can't think off the top of my head what it is.

Terri....Today I WILL NOT forget the mid-day dose. I just can not believe I did that. Every now and then I will be in so much pain I will look at the clock and know to go take them and then end up being so scatterbrained from the pain I will forget!

I write down every pain med I take and the time so as to keep track of things. In the note book I also track my activities and my symptoms. Not so much for the doc or anything, bu 1) for my personal use and 2) for the attorney. he will use it in the pain and suffering part of my settelment.

So I guess I have rambled enough in your thread!! LOL

Have a better day!
    Chrissy
  • Hi Terri,
    sorry to hear about you overdueing and feeling bad. I know how easy this can be. Sitting around all day is so boring and my older son has been doing most of the housework and cooking and even yard work for me. I start feeling so bad that I try to do stuff. The other day my husband, older son and I went grocery shopping. I basically walked around and told them what to buy. When we got home my son was putting everything away. I told my son to get my stool (its a little step stool) and I was going to sit on it and put the frozen food away (we have a bottom freezer). My husband caught me and would not let me do it. Most likely it was a bad idea but the freezer was looking like a huge mess and the guys have just been shoving stuff in there. When nothing fits, my husband just grabs a bunch of things and moves them to the freezer in the basement. Anyway its not easy doing nothing.
    LJ
  • Hi Terri,
    sorry to hear about you overdueing and feeling bad. I know how easy this can be. Sitting around all day is so boring and my older son has been doing most of the housework and cooking and even yard work for me. I start feeling so bad that I try to do stuff. The other day my husband, older son and I went grocery shopping. I basically walked around and told them what to buy. When we got home my son was putting everything away. I told my son to get my stool (its a little step stool) and I was going to sit on it and put the frozen food away (we have a bottom freezer). My husband caught me and would not let me do it. Most likely it was a bad idea but the freezer was looking like a huge mess and the guys have just been shoving stuff in there. When nothing fits, my husband just grabs a bunch of things and moves them to the freezer in the basement. Anyway its not easy doing nothing.
    LJ
  • Chrissy,

Sorry to hear that you went through so much with your discogram too. My doctor didn't even give me versed, I don't know why. I can't believe a doctor that is supposed to relieve pain would do that to someone. You poor girl. If you have to have one again, insist on being knocked out. They can wake you when they do the injection to see your pain level, then give you more versed and knock you out again. I woke up in recovery and didn't even know I had one! I started feeling sore and the the nurse (God Bless her) gave me some toridol in my IV to work immediately, then gave me a big shot in the butt to help for a few days. What a difference going to a different doctor.

Don't over do it, I think if you ask your doctor he will tell you that you are walking too much. Save the walking for the mall! Seriously, take it easy for a while. I over did it after my neck and back because I was alone too, but this time I am not going to no matter what. I learned my lesson and I need this surgery to work.

Jan

anxiously awaiting my back surgery on the 22nd!
  • Hi Terry:

I haven't been viewing the site too often and I wondered when your revision surgery was. Sorry you over did it and are in pain. I hope you feel better this week and have a good recovery. Make sure you follow your own advice and take it easy!

Ellen

• Grabber for neck surgery??? I never had one either now that I think of it.
    But of course I was able to use the rest of my body only being a 1 level. So I really did not need it.
    I had good "flexible" movements back in 04 :D

They have them all over Chrissy. I got mine at walmart for 20 bucks. They may have a cheaper on at a medical supply store. Mine was for household chores had two suction cups on it. And was longer and stronger.
    Where is it now GARBAGE DANG HUBBY LOVE HIM BUT [( }:) =))

I personally still feel like crap if you want a update. I will be blunt not as easy as the first time around at all.
    Plus last time I took a percocet and I was lalalalalalala. Now well they don't do the job unless I really need to take 15 mg worth. UGHHHHH.
    I bent down today to. I mean I have been in princess bed all day but not really BEND just squatted with my knees to try to pick up butter that fell on the floor. WELL I pulled a muscle in my leg a bit. Not horrible. But now I know why the dr was hesitate at my last yrs 4 wk checkup when I said I was doing that. He said do it to a extent. Not all the time.
    Soooooo Im in this one for the LONG RUN OF MY LIFE....

Shower chair: Yes great. I found hard to use. I borrowed one. I was more comfortable standing up. But that does not go for everyone. I don't feel as weak this time, like my spine is "falling " from my body. Mabye cause Im screwed together more =))

Keep the ideas coming <:P <:P
advertisement