Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi! I'm New Here....

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello Everyone!
I am very glad to have found this site! I have a question and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

In March 2007, I had a laminectomy/discectomy on a L5/S1 disc extrusion. I recovered well and felt relief immediately after surgery. In May of this year (2008) I began having similar symptoms as I had in the past. After a MRI, it was found that I had a recurrent herniation at the L5/S1 level again. I had surgery in August 2008. I have yet to have any relief. I have a severe pain in my lower back that actually feels like a "scraping or locking" feeling. I also feel as if I am "dragging concrete" when I walk. I am also suffering from sciatica in my left leg. My doctor has ordered another MRI. Is it possible to rupture three times?? #o He did make the comment a few weeks ago that 75% of my disc was gone and that I was running on a "flat tire". Does anyone know what I may be experiencing or what I may have to face in the near future. Sorry to be so chatty, but I am truly concerned. Thanks!! :)

Maxicat
advertisement

Comments

• Have you had a referral to a pain management Dr? I hope you find some answers and pain relief. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • hi and welcome.
    as paul gave you the links to get around this big place. ;)

we can give your our own personal advice as for medical advice none of us are qualified to do that. wish i was :D

to my knowledge yes it can rupture over and over. personal opinion only.
    just from what iv read on here and other places.

usually drs will offer a fusion if it keeps herniating over and over.

have you done all other consecutive treatments??? injections, long term pain relief etc???

you also said the doc said the disk was almost gone??? that your running on a flat tire.
    what options has he mentioned to you???

i would write down everything you asked us.
    and bring it to the surgeons office.
    they are really the only ones that can give you what to expect in the future and what you can do about the pain now.
    i know that pain down the leg can be very painful
    i deal with it now after my surgery. does get better a little each day.

once welcome there is a ton of information on here.
    please look under lower back pain also for information.

take care
    terri O:) >:D<
  • Thanks for your reply, Terri! :H I am scheduled for an MRI Tuesday and then I see my orthopedic surgeon on Friday. I have tried PT and other conservative methods, no help ~X( I can not take the epidural injections because I am allergic to corticosteroids (Medrol, Prednisone). From what I have read doing my own research is that fusions are sometimes necessary. The word itself scares me, but if it will help the pain...???? I am hoping he will offer options to me on Friday when I see him and we have the MRI. He hasn't offered anything yet, but I am curious! :? If anyone could share any experiences with a lumbar fusion, I would appreciate it. Talk to you soon, Terri.
  • Welcome Maxicat, I have had a fusion of L4-5 over 8 weeks ago. Fusion surgery is always a last resort as there is no going back once you do it. Everyone will have a different experience as we all heal different, the surgeons use different techniques, etc. There are lots of threads re. fusions here in the surgery section, so keep reading. I am doing okay but still have some back pain and occ sciatica flare up. It is a very long recovery and I am trying to gain some strength in my back so I can go back to work soon. My fusion was done for unstable spondylolisthesis and DDD. Do a lot of research and write down all your questions for your doctor. I always take a notebook with me to my appts. Keep us updated about what your OS recommends. Good-luck, Sue
  • Thanks for the info. Cali-Sue! I hope you continue to improve each day. I will let you know the outcomes of this week! >:D<
advertisement