Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain much worse after 2nd laminectomy/discectomy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
Hi All!

I had my first operation in March of 2007. Healed well until June of 2008. New MRI in July showed recurrent disc herniation at L5/S1. Second laminectomy/discectomy in August 2008. For the last three weeks, my pain has been increasing by leaps and bounds :''( I have the sciatica from my hip down to my outer foot in my left leg. I am also having pretty severe lower back pain also. Called OS and have another MRI scheduled for Oct. 10th. Has anyone else been here or do you have any ideas of what I may be facing? :? Any replies are greatly appreciated. The only meds I am being given at this time is Lortab 5/500. Thanks! >:D<
advertisement

Comments

• I had a laminectomy/discectomy L4/L5 in May. Since then my legs have hurt worse than ever (both legs from hip to toes) with vastly increased numbness as well. Also major low back and hip pain.

My surgeon is not returning my calls (hard to believe anyone could be like that!) - so my husband and I have decided to not even deal with him anymore and I have an appointment with another neurosurgeon Wed. I'm going to give him my history, and MRI's from before and after the surgery, and the surgical report - and hope he can help me understand why I have MUCH more pain than I ever had before surgery. I don't know what is happening and can only guess at scar tissue, but since I'm not a doctor, I'm not sure what that means and if it will get better!

Keep us posted as to what you find out and I will too! Rosa
  • I had a laminectomy/discectomy L4/L5 in May. Since then my legs have hurt worse than ever (both legs from hip to toes) with vastly increased numbness as well. Also major low back and hip pain.

My surgeon is not returning my calls (hard to believe anyone could be like that!) - so my husband and I have decided to not even deal with him anymore and I have an appointment with another neurosurgeon Wed. I'm going to give him my history, and MRI's from before and after the surgery, and the surgical report - and hope he can help me understand why I have MUCH more pain than I ever had before surgery. I don't know what is happening and can only guess at scar tissue, but since I'm not a doctor, I'm not sure what that means and if it will get better!

Keep us posted as to what you find out and I will too! Rosa
  • Sorry to hear your doctor will not return your calls! I hope you have good luck with your new NS. Yes, please keep me posted as I am curious what you dr. will tell you as I am curious as to what I will be told also. Take care! :)

• So sorry that your having so much pain. I can relate I had a micro discecttomy done on May 5th, and the sciatica is back, not as bad but it's there. Finally got my MRI report today and the neurologist says it's showing another herniation at L4/L5 and at S1 so here I go again. I try to watch every move I make as to not cause to much pain to get flaired up. Your not alone dear, I do hope you get well soon.

Many Blessings,

Cindy

• Thank you Cindy! Sorry to hear you have a new herniation :( Good luck to you..let me know how things go for you! >:D<
  • I met with a new NS today who looked at my MRI's and said he didn't see anything that was wrong with the surgery - he said it IS POSSIBLE that at 5 mos. out my nerves are still flared-up from the surgery. He put me on neurontin and PT and we'll take it from there.

He said that he doesn't believe it's related to scar tissue and that that whole theory is overrated.

So - all I can do is follow orders and hope for the best!

Wonder if any of you had, at 5 mos. after surgery, increased neuropathy/pain/numbness in both legs (I had laminectomy L4/L5 in May)? He said sometimes the nerves feel worse before they get better. I hope that's the case for me!
    Rosa
  • Rosa,

We all heal differently but 5 months out of surgery sounds early to me. I am 10 months out and STILL have sciatic pain. I only noticed a decrease in pain at 9 months. Nerves take forever to heal and depending on how long they were trapped it can seem a lifetime. I found PT really helps but you need to keep active. Sitting around only makes thing worse in my case.

Good luck to you, jaycey
  • Thanks for that info - it makes me hopeful!
    Rosa
  • I had a discectomy and foraminotomy at L5/S1 in December 2007. I recovered, did my PT, started walking 5 miles a day and felt GREAT!! Suddenly, one day my right leg buckled out from under me on my walk. It kept happening and became increasingly painful. I have ended up in a world of intense pain. I am on Fentanyl patches and percocet for the break through pain. The micro-procedures are so wonderful if they work, but when we have other damage, it seems to me (just my opinion) that they are just like pulling a small piece out of the wall and it can make the rest of the stuff come tumbling down. I hope you can find what is causing this pain now and get a solution. I was told there was nothing they could do for me except a spinal cord stimulator, but I'm glad I went for another opinion.

Linda

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Hopefully time will be your friend in the healing process! Everyone seems to hit a wall at some stage during the healing process, I think we all tend to freak out when things starting happening pain wise. Most peoples stories have the nerves tormenting them at some stage. Theres been a lot of things moved around to get at the spot, they all seem to heal at different speeds. :)))
  • Hi All!
    I received my MRI results yesterday and it is showing a recurrent disc extrusion at L5/S1 @) This is the third time it has ruptured and I just had my last surgery 8 weeks ago! I go to my OS on Monday...curious to find out what is next :SS
advertisement