Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question about a strange thing I have noticed myself doing.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
I have c5/C6 herniation in my neck and stenosis of my T spine in T1-T4. When things started to get bad 2 years ago, (neck and shoulder pain), I had epidurals and a facet block for the c5/c6. That helped with the neck pain, but I have noticed that now I prop myself up on my elbows all the time. I do this so much that I have compressed both my ulna nerves and I have tingling/numbness in my hands.

Does anyone know why I feel compelled to support my weight on my elbows/forearms? What am I trying to protect?
advertisement

Comments

• Wish I had an answer for you, but no such luck. I do know that my NS is very adept in having answers for things just like this. We had a conversation once about how he could tell right off the bat what the possible ailment of the individual was, just based on the way they support themselves. So possibly you have a doc that is as adept. Have you been to the doc lately? Is it possible you could get in to see the doc or call and ask?

Sorry I can't be of more help.

"C"
  • That's a great question..sorry I don't have a good answer for you..but I do that too!

Especially at night...I prop up on my left elbow and I can hold my neck up,this is laying down in bed...but I can hold my neck up for 2 hours..I can't hold it up at all laying on my right side using my right arm.Also I lean over in my kitchen at the breakfast bar and lean on both elbows.I detest this bad habit and speaking only for myself it seems as if I'm taking the pressure off of my back/legs/hips..but I can't be certain.I have lost a few pounds recently and have been trying to break this habit because (this is gross) my elbows have become ..er..really dry and thick.. :& (sorry).It seems as though my neck/back has been hurting more lately and now that you have posted this question I'm wondering if it's because I'm not leaning as much.

Now I'm sitting more.. :??