Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Magnet Therapy

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,733
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Alternative Treatments
For years I was using various medical magnets to help reduce pain and promote healing.
The 'basis' behind these magnets are to increase the blood flow to the area where the magnets are placed. So that allow sounds good.

I had all sorts of medical magnets. Round ones, large squares, credit card size, etc.

I did get some temporary relief using this type of alternative treatment. Overall, I think they are good for
acute problems (ie Sprains, Muscle pulls, etc) but I dont know how much the help in the long run.
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement

Comments

• with hardwear?

know titanium isn't magnetic but wouldn't want to do the wrong thing. I come such a long way!
  • I'm trying a magnet right now for my back. I Hope it works. My friend brought this large magnet over to test for 2 weeks. Magnets have helped her carpal tunnel problem in her wrist. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I also tried it (along with everything else), and they didn't work.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,733
    Many times I've come across posts that state that one thing or another didn't work. I am sure that is true in many situations, but we all need to think about what the treatment is and what its objective is.
    There are NOT many conservative treatments for spinal patients that are going to Take care of the problem. Most of these treatments are used to offer some form of relief for the patient. I've have seen one too many folks give up on an idea because it didnt make them feel better or take away their pain.

For acute problems, some treatments do address the immediate problem and offer relief that is wanted. But for chronic pain sufferers, its very difficult to come up with that one magic portion that is going to make everything all better.

For myself and I know for many others, a treatment that is going to provide some relief, taking the edge off is MOST welcomed even though we know the problem is not going to go away.

I think it is so important for everyone to set the objectives regarding the various treatments that are undertaken. Identify and write down your goals, discuss them with the medical professional who is assisting you to verify that your goals are something that is in fact doable.

I believe we can set ourselves up for major disappointments if we believe that all these treatments are going to make the problem go away. Just never give up on a treatment solely because it didnt cure you at first.

How many times have we taken an advil, aspirin, etc for a headache, but it didnt help. Does that mean, we are to never to take another aspirin again?

Keep positive, understand all boundaries and work hard to keep within it all
  • That is so very true, Ron.

Before my back surgery, I could barely stand straight. I actually used a cane to ambulate! Could not stand or sit for more than 5 seconds - LITERALLY! Plus, the pain in my right leg - HORRIBLE!!!

I had my microdisckectomy, and as soon as I woke up from anaesthesia, I could actually tell the difference! Like night and day.

HOWEVER, I still have other problems with my back - at other levels. The surgery was not done to address these issues, only the disc that pressed on a particular nerve.

My husband stated "What the hell did you have surgery for if you are still in pain?"

I told him, "I am extremely nearsighted. I wear glasses to see far away - to watch TV. They help. I consider them successful as far as my vision goes. But, I am still nearsighted once I take off the glasses." He had a hard time understanding the point I was trying to make. His mind works on such a different level/plane altogether. It's like I'm 8-track and he's Cassette...

At any rate, that's my take on the whole "success or not" issue... Hope someone else can understand it..

Jeaux
    8}
    post makes a lot of sense.
    Your analogy about being near-sighted is very clear and I think anyone can understand.

So if your husband is cassette and you are 8-track, Does that mean when I am 78rpm.
  • I'm a RCA wind up Phono. =))
    The one with the little dog beside it. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I never heard of a 78 rpm.

If you speed it up, does that make it a 156?
    (yeah, right! I remember the little yellow thingys you put on the 45's to play them on the 'record player'. Oh, and the little stands to carefully place said 45s... yeah - the good old days. back when my back actually worked... the trees i've climbed; the bikes i've wrecked; the tires i've changed... no wonder my back is the way it is..)
    Thats about the age I feel like!

Jeaux, for all the 'fun' things you did when you were younger, well you still look like a pretty young lady, so whatever you did in your early days works well for you today.

Geez, do we actually remember when we had normal spines?
  • Oh Ron... You always know how to bring a smile to an old lady's face...

When we were kids (back in the 70's) we played outside ALL DAY LONG during the summer time.

In fact, my Mom kicked us out the house so she could "clean" our already immaculate home. We put on plays, played cops and robbers, rode bikes, played in the woods (this was back before the neighborhood {and I} was overly developed). We'd play kick the can until about 9pm and not have to worry about creeps stalking and taking the little kids. How much fun I had was always gauged by the number of mosquito bites I had, scrapes up and bruises. Couldn't say the same after I married my first husband, though.

But, yeah - the good old days with the working back.

Jeaux
  • Daddy whats a album ? =))
  • [quote=jeauxbert
    When we were kids (back in the 70's) we played outside ALL DAY LONG during the summer time.

In fact, my Mom kicked us out the house so she could "clean" our already immaculate home. We put on plays, played cops and robbers, rode bikes, played in the woods (this was back before the neighborhood {and I} was overly developed). We'd play kick the can until about 9pm and not have to worry about creeps stalking and taking the little kids. How much fun I had was always gauged by the number of mosquito bites I had, scrapes up and bruises.

Jeaux

Yeah, that's how my neighborhood was also. There were about 20 of us that were in the same age bracket. We were like a small roving mob during the summer. Climbed and rode our bikes on the dirt mounds of the new developments. We played soft ball, hide and seek, capture, until it was dark. We would catch lightning bugs and rip their tails off and make jewelery (how cruel and GROSS)! Back when Moms used to yell your name out the back door that it was time to come in. Back when our backs worked.

EM
advertisement