Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

DDD & arthritis

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
Hello, My DH has been suffering for almost 3 years with DDD and arthritis, he has DDD in multiple levels of his low back and fusion/surgery is not an option for him. they also claim he has arthritis as well. He has been thru therapy, epidurals, injections, pain meds, muscle therapist and he is still getting no relief. He is only 37 years old and I'm so scared if we don't get a handle on this it will cripple him!
I'm wondering if his pain could be coming more from arthritis instead of the DDD. Has anyone found that med's or treatment for arthritis has helped more than treatment for DDD? I'm concerned with the amount of pain meds he is on, he is on Percocet and up to 5 a day b/c of the pain. I'm worried that if he doesn't get relief he may be unable to work and concerned with what this could do to his body long term.
Another question is, is there a hospital/clinic that specilizes in cronic back pain & conditions that maybe we should try and check out? I'm grasping at straws here.

Thanks for any help or input.
advertisement

Comments

• Hello INchick,
    I was just talking to a man who's wife has severe arthritis and fybromyalgia. He said she has acupuncture once a month and it gives her great relief. She also does some Chinese herbal medicine. Might be worth a try.
    Have a good day....Sagehen
  • Sagehen- thank you for your response, no he hasn't tried acupuncture yet, I had recommended that a few months ago, but it seemed to go on deaf ears, sometimes I feel that he would rather complain about the pain than look into all options. I know its a hassle and I know that insurance won't cover some of the holistic approaches, but I personally would get to a point that I wouldn't care what the cost is i would have to get relief!
    I'm much more open minded to holistic healing than what he is, but I think I will try pushing the acupunture idea again.
  • He has multiple levels of DDD in his low back and they said fusion isn't an option for him b/c it will effect the disc above and below. he has been to a couple neuro surgeons and all the doctors he has been too tell him he isn't a good candidate for surgery.
    Maybe he can try the patches now, he couldn't try them this summer b/c he sweats really bad and we were concerned they wouldn't stick. And I believe his Percocet is ER.
  • Hi Inchick

I also have advanced DDD and Arthritus in my spine. I am also not a surgical candidate.

I would suggest your husband make an appointment with a good Rheumatologist. Mine handles my pain management and is always a good source for trying out different kinds of nsaids and treatments. Nsaids are hit or miss and you have to keep trying till you find one that helps.

Your husbands pain may never go away but you should be able to find some relief and balance in your life.

Good Luck
    Nightfall
advertisement