Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Avinza - need advice

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Pain Medications
Hello to everyone. A couple of months ago I posted a topic that dealt with me changing my meds. I currently take 4 10/650 mg hydrocodones a day ( sometimes more). You guys said that I should get a longer acting med.

Well went to doctor today and was given Avinza 30 mg. One time a day. Still have my hydro's four times a day.

I need your guys advice on this med and what to expect.

I work fulltime and don't want to take anything that would affect me drastically.

Should I take this at night? Or do any of you take in the morning. Anything you guys could tell me about this med I would greatly appreciate

Thank you
Kristi
advertisement

Comments

• I would wait till weekend to start on it (when I didn't have anything planned) just to see what effect it was gonna have on me. As you well know, meds effect us all differently.
  • I always start new meds when I won't have to do anything, in case I have a bad reaction.

As far as morning or night being better for a once a day med, I can't really say. One opinion I would offer is whichever time is going to be more convenient for you. A time that you will remember, and be able to take it at the same time every day.

And I would think that once you have the drug in your system, there shouldn't be much difference in how you feel throughout the day (at least not in that the drug makes you loopy or sleepy or something right after taking it). So it wouldn't matter from that perspective, when you take it. It may take some time, again I don't know how much time, for it to build-up in your system.
  • I have been on Avinzia for a little over 3 months now. My pm doctor told me to take it at 5:00 pm and that it would last 12 hours. For the most part it does just that, keep the pain away. I have Hydrocodone that I take for break through pain the next day. Anyway, took me a long time to get something that works well for me. Just thought I would give you my 2 cents worth. Good luck. Michelle