Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Failed Fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Failed Fusion:

I constantly read forums and I have noticed failed fusion is very common I have also had a failed fusion and I am trying to figure out what people with failed fusions have in common.

Did you wear a collar? If so how long?

How soon did you go back to work?

Physical Therapy after surgery?

How long before reoperation?

Pain after surgery? Did you ever feel relief?

Arm pain? Both arms? Describe pain.

advertisement

Comments

• Hi Moosehead,
    Actually failed fusion is not that common, really you are reading about it a lot here as it is the people with failed fusions that need support and help. A lot of the ones with perfect fusions dont come back here after recovery.

I dont know the stats and they will also be different for each country.
    However, your questions are very interesting. You obvioulsy have had upper back/neck surgery (?s re arms)so the same questions could apply for leg or both begs.

Hope you get some answers and some relief.

Blessings Sara O:)
  • I think the real question is -

what = a failed fusion :))(

Is it that the patient is still in considerable pain?
    Is it the fusion failed to grow?
    Is it other hardwear complications?

Having read several papers, it seems the comment common to them all is the need for a universal descriptor of "failed".

My surgeon never did a disability questionare, so how can they measure improvement? On my say so?
    X-Rays?

Sadly I think some ppl take on the operation sooner than perhaps they should, maybe not guided correctly?? - I had to suffer at least 12 months under the care of my surgeon before he operated. I know some ppl only seem to wait 12 weeks. I know it depends on the conditions too and on the patients expectations.

For me I do not say my surgery has failed. I am still in pain and "have a long walk" ahead of me. The surgery is done and now I have the rehab..the hard work...

I did not wear a brace. re-occurance of back pain after 3 months. PT after 4 weeks. re-operation after 12 and 6 months.

Good luck.
  • Hi and Welcome to spine health.

Your questions are common, failed fusions well I really do not think there is a statistic number on that.

We need more information on your situation?????

What did you have done at what levels? (im guessing your neck)???
    When was your 1st surgery??
    Is there any fusion at all??
    Is the hardware giving you issues?
    Do you have increased pain???

I also was under the care of my surgeon for 1 year.
    I had no fusion at all. NO bone was growing anywhere.
    I was still in pain.
    So it was decided not to wait any longer. I would have if there was some sign of bone growing. There was not.
    So I had a revision surgery a on Sept 17th.

I cannot answer any of your questions well but will try:

Am I going to go to PT??
    Not sure.. I want to. He did not send me last year.

I did not have a brace for my surgery.

I am way to early out to know if there is any relief.

I have not worked since 06 so I am wishing to, but I still will not know.

It was the 11th month mark we decided to do surgery over.

So if you can let us know a bit more about your situation.
    So then mabye we can help you with our personal experiences a bit more..

Thanks
    Terri >:D< O:)