Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

about to go under the knife

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Anyone have any helpful hints for fast recovery? The doc says I can go home that day or stay one day in hospital should I stay there or go home? Been living with this pain for about 10 years off and on. Finally dia spinal stenosis last month. I am on limited activities doc ordeds do to sevre nerve damage. I know I am not alone with this would like lots of advice. Open eyes and ears here.
Thanks a bunch
Missy
advertisement

Comments

• sorry about that, that is helpful. L4-5, L5 S. The doc is worried that the damage is to far gone. But dealing with the pain has become to mucch, do you think that there will be any relief? Have heard really bad things about it from other people. :S
  • Be patient and listen to your body.
    It will be sore but you will get through it.
    Hopefully, fairly soon you will see the pain has changed and can be controlled on your post -op meds.
    Do as you are told
    No twisting, lifting...mopping, hoovering or carrying kidz
    If PT hurts too much, tell them or slow/stop it

Remember this site captures the folks that are struggling becos when they are sorted they are too busy to psot here!

Hopefully, you will be one of them!
  • Thank you for the encouraging words. I am looking forward to a somewhat noraml life again. Hope this works as well as I want it to.
  • MRI LUMBAR SPINE WITHOUT CONTRAST:
    INDICATION: Back pain.
    COMPARISON STUDY: None.
    FINDINGS:
    MR imaging of the lumbar spine was performed in sagittal and axial projections
    using T1 and T2W sequences.
    The bone alignment is normal.
    The vertebral body heights and disk spaces are maintained at all levels.
    The marrow signal pattern is homogeneous on all sequences. No compression
    fractures are present.
    There is some loss of signal from the L4-5 and L5-S1 intervertebral disks
    consistent with desiccation. The disk space heights are largely preserved.
    There is a shallow disk bulge at L4-5 level associated with prominent
    ligamentum flavum and facet hypertrophy changes which produces moderate
    bilateral neural foraminal stenosis.
    There is a broad-based central disk protrusion at L5-S1 level which effaces
    the anterior dural sac and minimally compresses the mid anterior dural sac.
    The left lateral recess appears mildly narrowed. The right lateral recess
    does not appear to be significantly affected. Mild hypertrophic changes are
    present in the facet joints and ligamentum flavum at this level.
    The conus medullaris is located at the level of L1 and is normal in size and
    signal intensity. The configuration of the cauda equina appears normal. No
    intradural lesions are present.
    The paraspinous soft tissues are unremarkable.
    CONCLUSION:
    1. Central disk protrusion at L5-S1 level.
    2. Moderate bilateral neural foraminal stenosis at L4-5 secondary to
    spondylitic changes.
  • First, for best post-surgical recovery I would avoid skiing, skydiving, bungee jumping, or Yelling Red Sox chants at a bar near Yankee Stadium (or any other activity in which my primary oppoinent is gravity or downright stupidity.

Seriously, the surgery will, at worst case, put the brakes on the degeneration process that has been making a situation become more and more difficult. So, the pain and inflexibility should not increase.

The post-surgical recovery regimen is your chance to aggressively deal with all the collateral damage that the injury did; dealing with nerve routes that have been severley irritated. Correcting habitual motions and their effects caused by living with the injury creates a life change.

Realistically,I'm on my third set of fusions (many levels).
    It starts out feeling almost hopeless then, amazingly enough, I have a pain free period, and chances to schedule a bunch more.

THe recovery is not quick. But there are many small measures of good to enjoy along the way.
  • having read that I called right away to cancel the camel derby I signed up for.
    (and the blue marlin fishing turny)
    More serious though I thank you for the advice. I am impatient and want a quick fix but have came to terms with the fact that it just isn't coming to happen like that. I have been an outdoors kinda woman for years and being laid up has put a damper on my spirit. But on the upside, I am ready to get this over with and be pain free in due time. Just hoping with both fingers crossed that the doc is wrong that the damage is pass repair.
  • HAD 4-5 AND 3-4 DONE IN DEC OF 07 I WAS DOING PRETTY GOOD AND THEN BOOM- I STARTED HAVING THE SAME PAIN ALMOST AS BEFORE. THE DOC JUST HAD ME TO GET A MYLEGRAM AFTER COMPLAING OF PAIN SINCE APRIL. HE NOW TELLS ME LEVEL 2-3 NEEDS A FUSION, PLATE SCREWS, ETC. HELP- ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED....................
advertisement