Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

If your spine is impinged what does it feel like?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have fibro and a bunch of stuff going on in my neck. I'm trying to separate the pain I'm feeling from the fibro from nerve or spinal pain. I have pain numbness, and tingling all in my right and sometimes left arm. Transient burning in right foot. When I compared notes on the fibro board people described their pain differently than what I'm experiencing. Does anyone get like this diffuse pain sometimes all over if your spine is injured or impinged? Could that cause swelling of the spine. I'm just so confused. Today I see my Pain dr and he'll probably recommend a third shot but I'm wondering if something bigger is going on?? Can anyone describe pain if your spine is injured -or rather in a very narrow space?? Arrrgh, I'm so confused!!!!!!! :S :/
advertisement

Comments

• Well, sounds like you have a lot going on. Yes, you can definately have all of the symptoms you are having because of an impinged spinal cord. For the past year ever since I found out I had C6/C7 disk impinging my spinal cord, I have suffered with burning feet. However, no one even 2 neurologists and one primary care physician could not tell me they were related at all until I met with my neurosurgeon last Monday and said they ARE related. Plus I have constant pain and stiffness in my neck with headaches. The pain goes down my neck into my arm and down into my left hand. I also have numbness and tingling in my left pinky finger along with pain in my middle finger.

This herniation showed in my 10/07 MRI so because it's almost a year old, he's ordered another one for MOnday. He says I need to have surgery (ACDF) according to my 10/07 MRI but over the last year is when things have been the worse, so I would be any amount of money, it's probably worse inthere. I am very anxious to find out my results.

Just a note. The 2nd neurologist said "oh you have Fibromyalgia - there are people that have bulges and herniations in their necks and don't even know it". He was a complete idiot. I KNOW I didn't have FM. I went to a Rheumy to 2nd opinion that I had FM and he said you DO NOT have FM, he was wrong, you have mechanical issues int he spine.

Gotta go - customers - at work ;) I'll writre more later.

GOOD LUCK

• you need to get yourself into see a neurosurgeon -not a neurologist. Ask your PM doctor for a referral. Also, get copies of your MRI C-Spine results and get a copy of the report and ifyou can post your results here (the report) so we can compare notes ;)

I feel foryou - I know exactly what you are feeling as far as pain and I know how awful it is. Hang in there.
  • who did not recommend surgery but wants an emg , thinks the nerve to the right arm is pinched. Did regular xrays and is talking about a more local injection to that nerve. Have any of you have that done? I was thinking maybe I could get my pain management dr. I'd rather not do an EMG. What would you do??
  • Curly,
    In my case a EMG proved that I have spinal cord damage and helped the doctors take the next step in my recovery. I also have stenosis and myelopathy. The second surgery has prevented my symptoms from getting worse. The EMG was not painful, just a little uncomfortable while they were testing the nerves, muscles jumping about. Good luck.

mark
  • Compression of the spinal cord usually does not cause any pain. The symptoms are more serious and may include lost of muscle control (weakness), headaches, dropping things, stumbling, lost of countenance. If there is enough swelling in the area due to that compression then you may have pain due to pressure on the nerves coming out through the foremans. If a nerve is compromised then you can have the numbness, tingling and pain. The pain comes in all different flavors; sharp, shooting, stabbing, radiating, etc....The symptoms I had for the cord being compressed were a deep bruising type feeling between the shoulder blades. Back spasms which caused a lot of pain and the biggest one was falling quite often. My left knee is still not right from my last fall. I need to mentioned that what I stated is my opinion and not medical fact. Good Luck with your health.

Rob
advertisement