Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Finally saw my MRI results, I feel like crying, what does this mean?

ButterflyPainBButterflyPain Posts: 290
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Spinal Stenosis
My neuro has a funny way of telling me what needs to be said, and excempting other stuff that may or may not scare me. This time I'm not sure, but I called for a print out of my MRI results, and they didn't even have them, and had to have the place fax it to them. I had this done in July, so could the doctor have known in Sept when I last saw him? I've listed my MRI first then the C-spine Xray...Which one does the doctor go by? One or the other or both?

Anyhow this is what it said:

Findings:
There are no gross abnormalities at the upper three cervical interspaces or the cervical-thorasic junction. Disc desiccation without disc protrusion is noted at T1-2. The second and third thoracic interspaces are normal.

At C5-6, there is mild to moderate disc desiccation with a 2mm central disc protrusion with slight central stenosis.

At C6-7, there is more moderate disc desiccation with a 3mm central disc protrusion with mild central stenosis but no direct spinal cord compression.

There is no evidence of nerve root canal stenosis or nerve root impingement at any cervical level. All of the facet joints are normal. The cervical cord is normal. There is no fracture or dislocation. There are no intradural or paraspinous masses.

My Cervical X-ray said:
Findings
AP, both obliques, open mouth, and lateral views of the cervical spine revealed very minimal hypertrophic uncovertebral joints at C5-6. On oblique view there is a suggestion of minimal osteophyte formation and foraminal impingement at C5-C6, especially on the left side. No fracture is seen.
advertisement

Comments

  • Anyone have anything similar and can explain what this means? And if even mild or moderate can this stuff somehow still cause moderate chronic pain that I've been experiencing for months?
  • First glad you got your results.
    But as you know we are not qualified to read MRI or any test findings. Or give out any medical advice. Only personal opinions.

    I have had the issue of drs not getting the reports in time.
    So yeah its possible he did not have them in Sept, but should of called at your appt and had them faxed over while you were there.

    You are describing my pain with my cervical herniation.
    Headaches were unbearable at times. Left arm numbness and tingling.
    I am not sure of the herniation size, all I know is it was all the way out.
    So I had the option of surgery or injections and I personally chose surgery. It was the best decision I ever made. Surgery was a sucess and I have full movement of my neck. I don't even know I had surgery there, I had a 1 level ACDF (anterior cervical disk fusion).
    Number one I did not want the numbness to get any worse.
    And I was unable to work properly with the issues I was having.

    So discuss your options with your surgeon. There are many treatments out there. Usually those are tried first, unless the dr thinks that surgery is essiental, and treatments are not going to work, like my dr said.

    Weigh all your options. If your able due to insurance/money issues right now get a second opinion if able. As that is getting tuff for everyone right now..
    You will notice most drs will have different things to say.
    Sometimes they will say the same thing.
    I went to a orthopedic spine specialist. Some perfer Neurosurgeons.

    Relax the best that you can. Use ice/heat on your neck if allowable by your dr.


    Remember when always in doubt and your pain gets out of control call your drs office or go to the ER.

    Hang in there we all have been in your position before, or are going through it now..

    Take care
    Terri ;) O:) >:D<
  • TerriJV said:
    First glad you got your results.
    But as you know we are not qualified to read MRI or any test findings. Or give out any medical advice. Only personal opinions.

    I have had the issue of drs not getting the reports in time.
    So yeah its possible he did not have them in Sept, but should of called at your appt and had them faxed over while you were there.

    You are describing my pain with my cervical herniation.
    Headaches were unbearable at times. Left arm numbness and tingling.
    I am not sure of the herniation size, all I know is it was all the way out.
    So I had the option of surgery or injections and I personally chose surgery. It was the best decision I ever made. Surgery was a sucess and I have full movement of my neck. I don't even know I had surgery there, I had a 1 level ACDF (anterior cervical disk fusion).
    Number one I did not want the numbness to get any worse.
    And I was unable to work properly with the issues I was having.

    So discuss your options with your surgeon. There are many treatments out there. Usually those are tried first, unless the dr thinks that surgery is essiental, and treatments are not going to work, like my dr said.

    Weigh all your options. If your able due to insurance/money issues right now get a second opinion if able. As that is getting tuff for everyone right now..
    You will notice most drs will have different things to say.
    Sometimes they will say the same thing.
    I went to a orthopedic spine specialist. Some perfer Neurosurgeons.

    Relax the best that you can. Use ice/heat on your neck if allowable by your dr.


    Remember when always in doubt and your pain gets out of control call your drs office or go to the ER.

    Hang in there we all have been in your position before, or are going through it now..

    Take care
    Terri ;) O:) >:D<
    Thank you. Yeah, I know you guys can't read them and what not, but was just wanting an opinion or personal experience.
    Yes, headaches aren't fun and won't go away.
    I am currently seeing a neurologist. Should I be seeing someone else for this? Or as a second opinion?
  • I'm not a Dr. by any means but, I would have to say your MRI looks pretty good. a few little things, bulging or protruding disc are ok its if they have an tear or compressing the nerve root or spinal cord. looks like a little stenosis which is the narrowing of the spinal canal, but all in general good. They probably did the Xray 1st and MRI to check out the levels that were in question from the Xray

    I'm sure you are looking for answers as to why you are in so much pain. Have you had an EMG done? it helps to say if there is a pinched nerve some where.

    Do you have any of these symptoms?
    Arms or hands go numb when sleeping or doing repetive action, and if so does it go away when you get up?
    do your shoulders burn when typing or writing or using ur arms alot?

    Hope you get the answers you need?

    Paula
  • Just to let you know I was in your postition 2 years ago I had the worst pain ever in my right arm I couldn't do anything from the burning and pins, couldn't sleep from the numbness would wake me in horrible pain. I litteraly wanted to just smash my arm to stop the pain. My shoulders would burn so so bad and my neck was always tight, and the headaches were horrible, My Dr. did not believe the pain I was in since my MRI showed some problems but nothing to give me sever pain all the time.

    I had a cervical fusion and it did nothing for me at all. I later found out that I was suffering from sever carpal tunnel. Had surgery on both hands and it did wonders. Just wondering if you have ruled out carpal tunnel. I know it sounds silly but the syptoms are very close.

    I know how you feel and so sorry your going threw this.

    Take care
    Paula
  • ToYoungforThis said:
    I'm not a Dr. by any means but, I would have to say your MRI looks pretty good. a few little things, bulging or protruding disc are ok its if they have an tear or compressing the nerve root or spinal cord. looks like a little stenosis which is the narrowing of the spinal canal, but all in general good. They probably did the Xray 1st and MRI to check out the levels that were in question from the Xray

    I'm sure you are looking for answers as to why you are in so much pain. Have you had an EMG done? it helps to say if there is a pinched nerve some where.

    Do you have any of these symptoms?
    Arms or hands go numb when sleeping or doing repetive action, and if so does it go away when you get up?
    do your shoulders burn when typing or writing or using ur arms alot?

    Hope you get the answers you need?

    Paula
    Thanks. Yes, I have had an EMG done. He said it looked good but I might have a little carpel tunnel in my left hand.
    Yes, I have those symptoms when sleeping, repetitive action, typing...My shoulders and upper back burn when I sit to type or anywhere, and hurt sometimes even in the morning or when I first get up from a nap.
  • ToYoungforThis said:
    Just to let you know I was in your postition 2 years ago I had the worst pain ever in my right arm I couldn't do anything from the burning and pins, couldn't sleep from the numbness would wake me in horrible pain. I litteraly wanted to just smash my arm to stop the pain. My shoulders would burn so so bad and my neck was always tight, and the headaches were horrible, My Dr. did not believe the pain I was in since my MRI showed some problems but nothing to give me sever pain all the time.

    I had a cervical fusion and it did nothing for me at all. I later found out that I was suffering from sever carpal tunnel. Had surgery on both hands and it did wonders. Just wondering if you have ruled out carpal tunnel. I know it sounds silly but the syptoms are very close.

    I know how you feel and so sorry your going threw this.

    Take care
    Paula
    Wow, sorry that you went through all that. Well the EMG showed a little carpel tunnel in my left hand...Which is weird because I am right handed and do most everything with my right hand. I will ask him if that could be a reason thanks.

  • Hi, I know what you mean about feeling like crying when you got your MRI results. I felt the same way. I'm not a doctor but I can tell you that I have the same symptoms as you. I have mild to severe stenosis in both the lumbar and cervical areas. Non invasive treatments are usually tried before looking at surgery. I'm really glad of that. I have been going to physical therapy since last June and have started swimming 2x a week. I can't believe the difference it has made in my pain levels (they used to be between 7-9 and now are maybe a 1). I had tried PT before with no luck, same with massage and chiropractic care. This PT does it all and it made a world of difference for me. I sure hurt at the start of it though.... Anyway, if you can find a physical therapist who combines deep tissue massage and spinal adjustments along with the other treatments and exercises, it would be worth a try. I can really tell the difference in my pain levels when I don't exercise now. Plus it feels great to be stronger again!
    Good luck with everything and keep looking and trying.
  • I had such severe pain in my left arm I wanted to have it amputated, and I am not kidding. No neck pain, but after 3 MRI's and being told first it was Tennis Elbow, then it was Carpal Tunnel, then Hand nerve damage, all the PT all the cortison injections, finally a neurosurgeon told me I had severe spinal stenosis and DDD I had her do a cervical corepectomy with hardware and bone graft and WALLA no pain!
    Do some serious research and I wish you the best of luck and send good vibes your way!
advertisement
Sign In or Register to comment.