Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pregnant, sufferer of DDD and ive had a dyneses!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
I really need some help.

I have had DDD for 4 years. In Feb this year i had a Dyneses operation which worked for about 3 weeks, then the symptoms all came back. I am now pregnant with my first child and due in February 2009. M back is getting worse and soon im not going to be able to move, im ok with this as i was warned that i would need bed rest for the last month or so. On wednesday this week i was also told that i have a lot of fluid building up in my facet joints and will need injections in March after the baby is born. Thi is also going to contribute to the pain (today i am writing this in bed as i cannot actually move, all becasuse i dusted yesterday!) My question is, has anyone had DDD and been pregnant? I want a C Section because i just do not think my body is going to cope well with a natural delivery but i dont know how to broach the subject with my midwife. Any ideas?
advertisement

Comments

• your concerns to your midwife. You never know she may have dealt with a similar situation as yours and may be able to give you insight. I do know that midwives are not keen on c-sections but if it is medically necessary....
    Are you planning on having an epidural? If so, you will feel no pain during labor (which amazes me, totally different than 28yrs ago) but a doctor will have to answer what toll it will take on your body. Do not be afraid to ask, that is why they are there. I am so sorry that you are dealing with all of this at such an exciting time in your life. Do not let the worry make it so that you can not enjoy your pregnancy and looking forward to having your baby. The sooner you talk to your doc the better off you will be. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.
  • All of which was so well said.

You know 25 yrs ago right at this moment I was in labor~at home with my first son,so of course I had to reply to you :)))

I don't have a clue what a Dyneses operation is,but I'll look it up later tonight or tomorrow.Ha-this morning I mean.

I have cervicle DDD~Is it the DDD that is causing you the pain or another problem.I hope that I don't sound too lame,but just didn't want to assume.Your post was pretty straight up and I assumed it was the DDD...but I guess I was hoping that it wasn't because though I know it's progressive I just never think of it getting that bad.Is it because you are pregnant that caused it to get so much worse?I'm sorry for the questions.Here you are asking for
    help and I'm asking YOU questions.*sorry*.Ok,I just remembered that you have the fluid building up in your facet joints.Please excuse me,I have not been sleeping very well(lol).Excuses excuses.....

About your question.Your midwife would be aware (I would think) of all of your medical issues;so I would think it only natural to ask her what she thinks.If she is'nt informed or hasn't ever had a woman with your type of issues it may be possible that you have the wrong midwife and need someone that knows more about your exact type of medical issues.Either that or she surely needs to learn about yours,and soon.Just my opinion.

I ended up having an emergency C-section.25 years ago it would be tonight at almost 11 o'clock.Yep,I was in labor for 27 hours,but I only pushed for 2 before they figured it out..they never measured me,and I had no idea at that time that I was supposed to even BE measured.My 2nd son was scheduled and I had a C-section with him too~but he decided not to wait for the Drs schedule~but on HIS schedule.My water broke and I had to go in.Not a single labor pain.It was a breeze.I love babies and miss mine being little.. :)))

I hope that you have a wonderful delivery :)

And welcome to SPINE~HEALTH :H

• With my first pregnancy a few years ago, I discussed my back issues with my midwife. At the time, I didn't have any diagnoses. I only had pain every now and then, I was used to it. I fractured vertebrae in my lumbar spine when I was ten, and had dealt with back issues my whole life.

My midwife didn't think that I would have any problems, and I didn't. She was curious to see how my labor would go, and we discussed C section, only if natural labor turned too hard on my back. I didn't have any issues... and had my son naturally (with the help of an epidural!)

I am pregnant again, and worry about this time around. My pain is a lot worse this time... 3 messed up disks, and some mild DDD. I would be interested in hearing how your pregnancy has been... I am due May 30th.

I'm not sure that your pregnancy can even closely be related to mine, I am not even sure what dyneses is. This is only what I experienced myself, and just like everyone's pain is different, so is every pregnancy. I would bring it up to your midwife. I am sure they will be open to all options given your condition...

Good Luck, and be sure to let us know what you come up with

Amanda
  • Dynesys® Dynamic Stabilization System: A Guide for Patients

The Dynesys Dynamic Stabilization System is a new concept in the surgical treatment of lower back and leg pain -- one that uses flexible materials to stabilize the spine and offers another approach to traditional fusion.

If your doctor has recommended fusion surgery, the Dynesys System may be an option. It can help provide added stability and keep the vertebrae in a more natural position than can be achieved with conventional surgery alone.
  • I was searching on the internet for information on dynesys, and it occurred to me... Maybe you should try calling your surgeon, and asking for their opinion on labor and delivery after dynesys... Just a thought :D
  • Hi guys, I'm based in Maidstone, Kent, UK. Just wanted to say thanks to you for your postings. Can't help on the pregnancy front I'm afraid but might be able to re. Dynesis. I've started a blog about my experience - I don't know if it will be of help to anyone out there, I hope so - http://dynesis-kellys-story.blogspot.com/ - I've also started a Dynesis group on Facebook - which in time might provide some answers from fellow back sufferers - everyone welcome!

Bit of background, been living with chronic pain for over 4 years now - seen 2 surgeons, had x-rays, MRIs and 2 spinal probes. Have got degeneration at L4-L5 and L5-S1. Disc tear at L5, leaking TNF. Abnormal L5 vertebra with large right-sided tranverse process. Scoliosis at L4-L5. Take Naproxen, Tramadol, Co-codamol and when really struggling, Amitriptyline. Also suffering with bladder problems, urge incontinence, for which I'm taking Trospium Chloride. Doing it all (at various times) - hydrotherapy, pilates, swimming, spinal manipulation, meditation, reflexology, you name it - but I've finally come to the decision that surgery in the form of Dynesis is the right next step for me.

In this respect I'm looking forward to a brighter, drug and pain free future (I hope) x
  • I am 27, found out I have DDD about 7 months ago... and just found out I am pregnant with my first child (I think I am due the end of June '09). I am very curious to hear how everyone has felt with DDD during their pregnancy. I have also wondered about a C-section vs. regular delivery... anyone with any insight for what I can expect would be greatly appreciated!
  • Hi everyone,
    Im going to see my midwife tomoro to ask about my options. I also found out on Thursday that we are having alittle girl.

I have already asked my surgeon his opinion, but he said that he couldnt really comment as it wasnt his field of expertise, but he didsay that if my midwife or my OBGYN wants any information then he would be more then happy to give them a report.
    My back is getting worse and coping on just Paracetamol is a nightmare, but obviously i dont want to take anything to strong because of the baby. Am finding that i am needeing more and more bedrest as the weeks go on, and losing my balance quite a bit too! Obviously i am still getting about...just as i dont want to stiffen up, but im having so much trouble with my back, my hips, my legs and now with my toes that im not sure how long i can go on without needing someone to help me out of bed.
    I hope everyone is ok, and the cold weather that is coming wont affect u all too much....i love the winter...but my bones hate the cold weather!
    :H
  • Congratulations on the news of your baby girl! I hope that all goes well with the midwife tomorrow. Please keep us posted.
  • Congrats on your little girl.

I am not, nor have I ever been pregnant.

I have always wondered whether or not my body would be able to tolerate a pregnancy though.

Im 22 now so its not in the near future but considering the state my back is already in at this age...its a little concerning. I wonder if I shouldnt try to have children younger in case my back is too bad later on in life.

I have Lumbar Central Canal Stenosis, DDD, and a bulging disc. This was all 3 years ago...I know its worse now :W lol.

So...good luck to you..I know what a chore it can be getting out of bed or moving legs WITHOUT being pregnant.

I hope you get some answers and relief soon.

• I am new so I am a little late on the 1st topic...Congrads on finding out you are having a girl- I have a girl- she is 4 now. Girls are awesome! I had DDD when I was pregnant and they would not let me schedule a c-section even though I was in severe pain my whole pregnancy. The last month of my pregnancy, I started having high blood pressure and ended up on bed rest. I was induced and went through labor for 13 hours and then "Lauren" went into distress so we had an emergency c-section. I hope your situation turns out differently but I wanted to tell you that even with my history of back problems (many MRI's,etc) they would not let me have a c-section. I did have an epidural though. Good luck! I will keep checking on you. :)
advertisement