Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question on Cervical Surgery

GreyEagleGGreyEagle Posts: 350
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
:? I was trying to find an article on this on the main page of this web site and could not quite nail it down. Anyway, one of the procedures my Neuro Surgeon talked about was trimming the disc instead of taking it totally out between C5-C6 so it does not impinge on the nerve root.

He also talked about putting in a plate and screws for the purpose of fusion. If he just trims the disc what is this procdure called? Does it require plates and screws?

He is still going to do more diagnostics before making a surgical determination on how many levels I need surgery on.

I just wondered about the above described procedure and healing process after surgery.

Thanks everyone,

Ken GreyEagle
Greyeagle
advertisement

Comments

• Here's a link to another site that explains the use of plates and screws. At the bottom of the article there's a link to more.

http://www.spineuniverse.com/displayarticle.php/article490.html
  • Thanks much for the link above. I found a nice article on a Posterior Foraminotomy. This procedure my Neurosurgeon talked about as one possibility in my case. I've been having severe left arm pain for almost 2 years. I get tingling in my thumb and fingers next to it.

He is just not sure until further diagnostics if he needs to take the disc out totally or not. It sounds like from what I read that with the posterior approach you don't get your esophagus and vocal chords messed with. It seems to me I wouln't have the issues with sore throat and not being able to talk for a short period of time. I'm not sure on this but this is what it looks like to me.

Thanks much! If anyone has any comments from 1st hand experience I'd love to hear what ya have to say!

Ken GreyEagle
    Greyeagle