Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My PM appt.

RobinRRobin Posts: 1,652
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Pain Management
Friday I had a PM appt.and had to give a UA,which was ok,I 'get it' now.This was the second time they asked me for that..the first time was in May and I really gotta say that I did feel indignant the first time.. ...(I was looking for an indignant smily-lol)I even told him as much-he laughed at me and shook his head.Well,I didn't tell him then,but later after I understood and felt better about it.He said,"well your urine came back good"..I remember saying that of course it did,why wouldn't it.

Well anyway~Friday while trying to pee in that little cup I had no clue if it was even going in or not and I overflowed the cup.Then my TENs fell off of my pocket where I had it clipped and almost fell into the toilet when I was getting up~so I spilled some of my pee on the floor trying to catch my TENs,but I caught it( :))) )When I took it back to my room the nurse was there waiting and I told her of my ordeal..to which she rolled her eyes.They were really busy Friday..and I told her that hey,yall could have called me and I would have been more than happy to stay home.She proceeded to tell me about another patient who got mad about having to give a UA.I already knew this because I saw and heard the woman talking,but I just listened.I thought that was wrong of her to tell me but I kept my opinion to myself(believe that and I got a bridge in Alaska to sell ya)

When my Dr came in he had regular street clothes on.I had only ever seen him in his scrubs and guess I never thought
of him as wearing jeans.I was a little surprised~I guess this was dress down Friday?Anyway-he looks better in scrubs IMO.I told him "I never saw you in clothes" and we both cracked up.He said that could be misconstrued.It WAS funny because it came out wrong..like so much of what I say.

I REALLY like my PM & my PCP~but he wrote me a script and refilled it 2 times.I don't see him again until Dec 29th and all he does is treat my pain.It sounds like I'm complaining,but I don't mean it that way...it's just that I see my PCP every 3 months and I was seeing my PM every month until August..now everything is screwed up.

If I have a problem my PCP has to DX,order tests,refer,etc.I see her again in Nov.and I'm going to be way off sync with my PM..and I have other health issues that are causing me greater concern than my pain right now anyway,but I may be needing other meds and run into a problem there.I guess I was more comfortable going in every month,and in a way I feel he is shooing me away...lol.

I guess the reason is that my meds are not that strong compared to some(lortab 10mg 4x's day)along with other,uncontrolled meds...and I did tell him that though they did make me a little sick when I first started them(was taking 7.5 until Sept.4th)that I don't think they help me more than the 7.5's and don't ever want to go higher,or have surgery,but will try ANYTHING else.

I hear other stories about PM's doing more than prescribing medication,and I hear others saying that they can't get the medication that they want or need.As I said,I like my PM,he seems to care about me as a person,my pain & he treats me with respect.That's important to me.

I wonder though if I should be getting or doing more,or just leave well enough alone.I was thinking this whole post seems kinda useless but I'm a slow typer and no way am I deleting it all..it took me way too long :))(

Have a good Day..if you want to of course(IMO)
=))

advertisement

Comments

• Maybe your PM is feeling comfortable with your treatment enough that you don't need to come in every month? I know when I went to my first PM appointment, I asked him when I would need to see him again, and he said that I didn't :jawdrop: unless I were to come back for an ESI. I thought that my PM would want me to come in every so often to go over my treatments. Shoot, I was under the impression that he would take over all of my treatments, but he didn't. Long story short, 3 appts and one ESI later, I refuse to go back to him. The first appt was consult, the second ESI, and the third a complete waste of time!!!
  • what you mean. I love my PM too and our mutual trust has made it so that he actually gives me scripts with a range of 2-6 pills a day so that if I need the minimum than I don't have to go back for a few months. If I need the max than I go sooner. Last time I saw him he was running behind and told the nurse to ask if I just needed scripts. When I said yes, she asked him what scripts to give me. He told her whatever I need. I have been going to him for 4 years now and he is not a drug doc. He does the rhizotomy, laser surgery, endoscopic surgery and tons of injections. So actually his trust in me made me feel pretty good. But, I did actually feel I guess that I am at the final stage of his care and there is nothing left but meds. So it is very strange not seeing him 1 x a month. I am sure that your doc is trying to save you $ and time by giving you refills.
  • I really don't have much to say about PM's but I just had to comment on your story.
    You gave me a smile for the afternoon I really needed it. :D :D
    Reminds me of the power going out in the Firehouse during a Tornado warning and well my pager fell in the toilet =)) =)) Ok ya really had to be there!!

I will post my story when I find the right PM Dr to treat me for my issues and only my issues O:)
    I also had to go every month to the old one no matter what, he didn't care if I lived 3 hrs away :S [(