Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Opt 2 weeks

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all first post so here it goes, had ALIF L5/S1 with plate and screws on Sept26th. Done with bone dowels and Infuse. Took two hours, 4 day stay. Walked same day down the hall, and two times a day while in. At home have been walking 4 times a day for 15 to 20 mim. Did not have that much pain thank goodness for Hydrocodone 7.5MG. Now only talking at bedtime, but now feel not real pain but some tingleling down right legs. Have been good at no bending twisting or bensing, but everytime I have new pain I think it is because something I did! Is that normal? Have first follow up this Thursday hope all goes well. Question, I feel like I have done a good job with post opt rules, I understand that this follow up they will look to ensure that the screws are holding is that correct? Is that someting that happens alot?

I was Spondy Grade II, 55 male, very active did weekend running and bike races hope can get back to it at They say should be able to. First saw it 1 years ago with majior back pain and led to Foot drop and big time pain. It has been great reading everyones posts.

Thanks and look forward to hering back!
advertisement

Comments

• Hi!
    In my case, it has been very normal to feel that each new pain or tingle is because of something that I have done, or something that I did not do, or because the fusion is not working, or...you name it. I think that is just human nature combined with the fact that we all want our fusions to be successful and we are afraid that these normal little aches and pains are indicating something different. So, to answer your question, yes, I have experienced the same feelings! At my first check up, they looked at x-rays to determine if the screws were in place and if I was aligned properly.

Ann
  • Hi MTNK2, welcome to SH, you have found a great site full of information and support. Remember we are not physicians just a group of fellow Spineys here to get and give support. I myself had a posterior fusion, and believe me overdoing it will bring on little flare ups. I have had a few, always after doing something, like vacuuming, mopping, etc. My surgeon said it is normal to have return of pre-op symptoms and even new symptoms(down opposite leg) as my nerves were severely inflammed and they will settle and flare up over and over until they eventually settle down for good. Even if you are diligently observing your no BLT restrictions, it is still possible to overdo. Even walking too much can bring on flare ups as I have read of other Spineys here doing that. You should be resting, avoiding sitting for long, and walking, and of course following whatever directions your surgeon gave you. Any new or severe pain/symptoms are worth reporting to your surgeon just to be safe. At my 2 week check I didn't have xrays, just an incision/status check-up. First xrays were at 8 weeks. Keep in touch and let us know how your appointment goes. Take care, Cali-sue
  • Hi MTNK2 and welcome to spine-health.com

Yes, all sorts of new aches and pains during the first few weeks post op is generally par for the course. As you well know your surgery was quite major, a lot of muscles were cut through and nerve roots around L5-S5 were moved around, which would have irritated and inflamed them, plus the surgery will have altered the geometry of your lumbar spine a bit. All this adds up to the new aches and pains that you will feel for a while. At this stage just rest easy and dont overdo things at all. There is plenty of time later on for starting to walk and exercise. What you are doing at the moment sounds good tho.

As Cali-Sue said, at your 2 week visit your surgeon will probably just be looking at your incision, assessing how you are feeling, reviewing your pain level & medication, and answering any questions of concerns that you might have. x-rays to see how well you may be fusing and/or to check on the hardware would typically be around 8 weeks.

all the best and don't hesitate to keep posting and asking questions... Bruce
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator