Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Wellbutrin

J.J.GreyJJ.J.Grey Posts: 2,962
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Pain Medications
Anybody have any experience with this? I would love to hear the good, the bad and the ugly. Please do not tell me that it causes weight gain. I have been on so many drugs that have caused my weight to climb that I do not think that I could take one more! Thanks in advance for your input.
advertisement

Comments

• It has been hands down the best Anti Depressant for me, I actually lost weight and on the flip side my friends wife gained a little to put things in perspective- we are all different.I actually find it "speedy" in the sense it does make me anxious at times and you will sweat a bit at first.Overall, I tolerated it quite well and made a big difference in my depression.I am currently on a break, I take the 150 mg XL version but cannot tolerate 300 mg daily due to my anxiety/panic disorders.Its a winner for me.
  • My doc was actually hesitant to put me on it because of my anxiety issues. Everything else that he has tried makes me too sleepy and I can't stand that. The pain meds make me sleepy enough. Thanks alot for the info.
  • I've tried wellbutrin several times for depression and it is used to help quit smoking also. The first few times I stayed up all night until I got used to it. Sometimes it had the reverse effect and had insatiable hunger. This is the last resort for an antidepressant for Doctors to order. This medication is similar to tenuate which is an appetite suppressant. It's helped for me and started taking it Sept.5th. I hope it's helping you. :H see you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I have never been on this. But I know sum about.
    Wellbutrin is the same a Zyban -diff's, though docs give wellbutrin for depression and zyban to quit smoking but they are same drug
    wellbutrin is much cheaper then zyban

I'm not a Pharmacist or Doc. So this is just few things I know from being just- Patsy
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,728
    It's been a long time since my pm doc started me with it for major depression. His goal was to get me from 150mg. up to a therapeutic dose of 300 to 450. I went to 300 and stayed there for about 4 or 5 mos. But only at my docs. instance.I didn't like it but he said to give it a chance because it takes time to work. I became reclusive, even in my own environment. I took my wife into an appointment with me for back up to tell him another persons view. I went down to 150 but was still depressed. And that's when he had the idea of introducing cymbalta with the welbutrin 150 mg. He worked the cymbalta slowly up to 60 mg. and I was on that combo. for quite a while. but I still wasn't functioning well. My wife and I thought I did best while working from 150mg. welbutin and 30 mg. cymbalta. But as you know the cymbalta gave me more side effects after a long time, and I cut that back to 20 mg. So bottom line for me 150 welbutrin xl mixed with cymbalta 20 mg. works well for now.
    So at the right dosage wellbutrin didn't have side effects and If your doc. thinks a combo. might work for you, try it but it may take time cause none of them work right off the bat and sometimes side effects you might have may subside over time also. You can't rush it. Good things take time. Also I've heard that the new generic doesn't last all day like its supposed to but I haven't noticed that. The generic is called Bupropion HLC SR 24 h
    Good luck Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,728
    NO WEIGHT GAIN !
    Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • staying sooooo hungry on this stuff. My appetite has been insatiable and I have actually been sleeping alot on it! Leave it to me to have the opposite effects that most people do. I really appreciate everyones info. I am going to stay with it since I have only been on it for 1 week. I am also experiencing dizziness but hope that will go away.

Jim- You and I have talked about the Cymbalta. Now that I have tried several other meds, I am thinking that I should have tried the 20 mg like you. It really worked well for anxiety, it just made me so sleepy. I still may ask doc about taking the 20s with the welbutrin.
  • until my husband just reminded me. I had horrible nightmares last night. Everytime that my husband would wake me, I would go back to sleep and have more nightmares. I hope that is not coming from the Welbutrin. It has been years since I have had a nightmare. My husband and I both got up exhausted from my nightmares this morning. I will see how tonight goes.
advertisement