Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Avinza not working - Need suggestions

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Pain Medications
Hello to everyone. I posted a couple of days ago about the Avinza. Well I have been taking since Thursday and I take it at night. It does not seem to be helping at all. I am still having to take the 10/650 mg hydrocodone's every 6 hours.

I called my doctor today and she is out until Monday. The nurse said it should be taking effect by now. Does anyone know if this med should be working by now. I am also taking the med at night but with a 24 hour time release that should not matter, right?

If this does not start working by next Monday what should I ask the my doctor? Should I ask for another type of med or should they just increase the mg. I currently am taking the 30 mg Avinza.

Just a little back ground 2 years ago I had a ACDF on C5-C6. I have DDD, and cervical stenosis. I now have bone spurs that have formed and I continue to have chronic pain. My neck flares up at least once a week. I have been taking the hydrocodone since the surgery, and have been taking 10 mg 4 times a day for about 6 months. I know that the hydro's are short acting and do not last the six hours between dosing. I take one in the morning at 6 am and by 10:30, 11:00 I am hurting again. That is why this last visit my doc prescribe the long acting med. I feel like I am taking way too much medication every day and want to be able to take something that will last. It stinks to plan your life around meds and whether you think your neck is gonna flare up.

I know all of guys live with this everyday and it wears on you too. I guess I am just hoping there is something out there that can make it possible to live a half way normal life.

Does anyone have any advice on a med that seems to work and that changed the way pain effected them everyday. I know that a totally pain free life is an impossible dream, but I am tired of the number of pills I take and am scared that my body cannot continue to take the medication I put in it on a daily basis.

Thanks for listening and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kristi
advertisement

Comments

• never took Avinza, so not sure what it is. I took Methadone or either Oxy w/hydro breakthrough. Hope you ffind some relief but I would be hesitant about asking doc for specific meds.
  • Avinza is a time release morphine. So you don't think I should ask for something else? Should I just wait and see what the doctor thinks?

Thanks for the feedback
    Kristi
  • you start asking for specific meds and they naturally assume "drug-seeker"
  • Hi agree. I dealt with this at my old PM's office.
    They would have me fill out a quick paper each time I went in. Like as in sleeping, daily activity, pain level with meds.
    I let them change them. I never brought up "well can we try this"

Plus all PM's are different. Mine would only RX 4 different long acting meds. With no breakthrough meds. It was just his belief. Not that he couldn't RX them he could. He just was set in his beliefs [(

Not one med works the same as it does the other.
    Morphine does nothing for me even in IV form.
    So it is very possible its not the med choice for you.

So they may raise the dosage for you at the next appt.
    Or switch meds. So just wait till you get there hun and let them figure it out is your best bet.

GOOD LUCK!!
    Terri >:D<
  • I was on this for 5 days and it did seem to be working within a day or so. I had to stop taking it after a severe adverse reaction. Scary but disapointining since it was helping. Even though it is long acting I believe that it takes effect quickly. You can always call the pharmacy and ask what the normal time for effectiveness is.

Good luck!
  • Hi, I have taken Avinza in the past, but at a much higher dose - 120mg. You need a higher dose or a different drug.

A good pain doc will work with you to find the right pain relief for you. It may take 4 or 5 different tries but you can find relief.

If he/she won't work with you on finding the right drug, find another doc is my advice! Now, if I would only take my own advice.
  • I am on 360 mgs of Avinza each day. I take two in the morning and one at night (120 mg) It takes at least 72 hours for your body to get used to the drug as it very slowly releases a small percentage of Morphine Sulfate for a 24 hour period. I have stated this before, you don't get buzzed with Avinza, it just controls the pain. That's probably due to the slow 24 hour release. You don't get the narcotic buzz that other drugs that are immediate release or even 12 hour release meds will give you. So if I were you, I would talk to my Dr. about increasing the dosage of the Avinza because 30 mgs is the lowest dose made, you can always go up to 60 or 90 and even 120. I started out on the 90s but that wasn't good enough so I was switched to the 120 and after a couple of months of getting night sweats, I was upped again to 240, and eventually where I am now at 360. It works fine for me. It just takes time and a bit of working it out with your Dr. It is a super long acting drug and therefore it is understandable that someone would say it isn't working. Just takes some time.
  • Hi Kristi,

I have taken Oxycontin as my long acting med for years and it has always worked well for me. When I first heard about Avinza, I asked my PM doc about it. It wasn't an option for me, because I have severe reactions to any form of morphine. But he did say that according to the feedback from his patients who take it, that it is not a 24 hour med. More like 12 hours.

I know that with Oxycontin, the manufacturer insists that it is a 12 hour med (or 2x/day) but I can assure you that it isn't. I started out with 2x/day and within 2 months, my doc had upped my dose to 3x/day. He said he hasn't had a patient yet, who had any luck with twice a day Oxycontin. He did have to get a special authorization from my insurance, because of the manufacturer's recommended dose, but they gave it without hesitation.

Do you feel comfortable asking your doc about a second dose? I know I can talk to my PM doc about anything, but not all docs are the same. Sadly, a lot of docs are more suspiscious these days, because of all the bad press out there.

I would, at the very least, let your doc know that it hasn't made any real difference and see what he/she says. You never know...... I wish you the best with getting this figured out. Let us know how it goes, OK? Take care, Mitzi

advertisement