Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

plz help.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
I am scheduled to have l4-l5 m-disectomy on nov.5 08. I am trying to compare my options . option 1 - full disc removal,l4-l5 fusion WITH NO HARDWARE INVOLVED !. OPTION 2 - Microdisectomy, carve away the bulge,away from the nerve. I am having difficulty finding info about discetomies with no hardware. also ,,by having the microdisectomy am I basically just getting a short term fix ? is the complete disc removal w/ a natural fusion of the l4-l5 a long term better choice . plz help . lastly I have read ,and been told that w/ the m/disectomy that I will have to take it easy the rest of my life. is thiss the same for removal/fusion? wow thats alot of questions ......sorry :)))
advertisement

Comments

• http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/back-surgery/microdiscectomy-spine-surgery-risks-complications-and-success-rates

Welcome to Spine Health. Here's a link to a good article on microdiscetomies. There's more if you go to the "Back Surgery" link on the left hand side of the page you see right now under the header of "Top Pain Topics". Scroll down the page past the generic stuff and you will find dozens of links to articles.

One thing to keep in mind, is that any and ALL back surgery can become a short term fix. Even the ones that you think are a long term permanent fix, can fail. Doctors offer up the microdisectomies because many times that's all a person ever needs. Some surgeries last a lifetime and some not very long. If someone could figure out the magic answer to why that happens and how to predict it, they'd make $billions.

As far as having to take it easy the rest of your life, I'm very suspicious as to where that came from. Many people have microdisectomies and return to full active and strenuous lives. In amongst all the lower back surgery I had done disc material was removed. With proper rehab and a good attitude I was able to wear my double scuba tanks again, run again and basically do whatever I wanted as long as I use good body mechanics. So please don't get hung up on the "doom and gloom factor".

I hope this helps answer your questions.

"C"
  • endoscopic microD. I think that you are getting info that once part of the disc is removed it weakens the disc. This may be true for some people but I know some that had microD and never had another problem. I am almost 1 year out from mine and have not reruptured or had problems with that particular aspect of my back. My doc also performed laser surgery to tighten and straighten the disc. BTW- I had most of my disc removed but not all. If I were you. (which I am not) I would personally try the microD first. You can always go back and have fusion if it fails. On the other hand, if the fusion fails, it can not be undone. I am not in the medical field, this is just my opinion. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • thanks guys and gals. I did read the info from the link you gave. It did answer some questions .out of 3 opinions I had to doctors(old school mentality) that wont do m-disectomies,saying"they dont work ".......and the young doc(new school) says he advises m-disectomy only.. my conclusion of all 3 docs is - that a m-disectomy is a good option becuz of it being non-invasive. I have been told , and have read that m-disectomies typically give a person better quality of life for a period of about ten yrs. yes 10, I have seen that number used twice in diferent pieces of info .that leads me to believe that sometime down the road another surgery is likely. all of the studies that I have read on m-disectomies only cover 1-3 yrs of post-op results . cant find anything more in depth.as far as full removal post-op results there is a ton of info. very hard to decide I really appreciate the help.