Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What to ask the Neuro Surgeon before surgery?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I know there was a link to this some time ago, but I cannot find it. Also, if anyone has any other questions. The reason I'm asking is because I cannot find anything on the computer about this Dr. I do know he's a "MD/PHD" and his specialty is neurosurgery. I need to ask him about his board certifications because nothing is listed. Here is what I have so far. Feel free to let me know if I should ask anyting else.

I had a follow-up MRI (last one was in 10/07) on MOnday and will meet w/surgeon next MOnday. Right now (based on 10/07 MRI) he's suggesting a C6/C7 ACDF with a hard collar for 6 weeks. Thanks.

IF YOU ARE RECOMMENDING SURGERY:
Artificial Disk Replacement (ADR) Pro Disc C? I've read if I have problems down the line they can just stack the disks one on top of the other w/out losing mobility.
If I have to have surgery could I wear a bone growth stimular to help fusion? I would like to help my fusion along in any way that I can - can you prescribe this for me?
I've read the Miami -J Collar is more comfortable than the Philly or Aspen.
Do you perform the whole procedure?
How many times have you done this procedure and what is the success rate?
Are you board eligible or board certified?
Are you fellowship trained in spine surgery?

Will you be using a Titanium Plate? (some cases, implants a small metal plate to stabilize the spine)

I've read some Dr.s do not recommend a collar and some do - what's the difference and why?

Will I be having physical therapy, if so for how long?

advertisement

Comments

• Pretty much seems you have your ducks in a row.
    Before even going to the appt I would ask the last question before even wasting your time.
    Spine specialty????

As you know neuros same with orthos are all specialized in different areas.

Like for my thoracic disk. I made sure it was a thoracic neurosurgeon. BUT one thing I did not like about him. great guy, smart well known etc. He did not RX meds. hmmmm something I did not like which means my PCP would have to do all the perscribing.

Now as for the collar its so that you do not bend, move the wrong way.
    There are so many different opinions on that.
    Like ya know alot of us have had NO brace for lumbar surgery. Some have to stay in a full brace for months for the same levels. It gets so confusing.
    For a one level fusion I see no reason for a hard collar. Uggh number one they are uncomfortable. The soft one was so much nicer. Personal opinion
    Yes I felt safer with it on. Could not wait to get it off though!!
    All surgeons are different with PT. I had it with my neck I really needed it after that collar came off in 4wks.
    With my back last yr I was doing so well no he felt no need.
    Do I think I needed it YES YES YES.

I would also asked how long will your hospital stay be??
    Most for 1 level is 24 hrs. All drs are different.

Is he/she going to control your pain post op after discharge??

Now as for the pro disk you wouldn't have to worry about fusion right?? Since its artifical. You can look under treatments if you already havn't about the pro disk.

So I would phrase those 2 questions differently to him.
    What does he perfer to do. Artifical disk replacement or fusion?
    Also remember with that, some insurance companies will only cover fusion not artificial. Another thing I would check into.

All drs in my mind are board certified. They have to be or they would not be able to practice medicine. But I can understand your concern on that.

What hospitals are near you???
    Alot of them now have drs profiles on them. So you can see how long they have practiced , where they went to school, where their intern ships were etc.
    I have 2 hospitals near me now that do that.

GOOD LUCK AT YOUR APPT!!!
    Not for all but for me after having 2 lumbar surgeries. A 1 level ACDF went very well!!!!!
    All my symptoms are gone. I have full movement of my neck.
    And well if I was told I had to do it again. I would be doing it.
    Yeah its a rough few weeks, but compared to lumbar in my book and Im a huge baby it was good ;)
  • I don't know your specific situation but in most situations I would ask 2 other questions -

What would likely happen if I don't have surgery?

What are the alternatives to surgery?

Good luck with your appointment!
  • Yea, if the Dr doesnt order PT sometime after surgery then I wouldnt go to that Dr. Thats a no brainer.