Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Scheuermann's Kyphosis

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Chronic Pain
hey i am 15 and i have Scheuermann's Kyphosis.
How do i make the pain go away?
I'm not sure what degree it is but i have a hump but i can mostly hide it unless i bend a bit.
It hurts SO bad.
i have tried physical therapy and anti inflammatory.
It hurts when i do anythings but sit in a cushy chair or lay down. it hurts to stand for 3min.

it starts off getting all contracted and I stretch and i can pop it a lot for about 30min. ( my lower back pops and feels the pain but my upper back has the hump)

then it will move to this muscle in my left back and it will *inflame* then i can only describe what happens next as tightening like a corkscrew and the pain moves all over my lower back. the pain is in my muscles AND my bones. i can FEEL it.

I want to live a very active lifestyle and i fight right through the pain every day of my life for the past 2 years.

i only have an inch of height left so bracing is a no go.

what can i do?

*also i have scoliosis

i had pain when i was 13 and i went to the orthopedist. and he told me i have scoliosis and it was normal. so that summer i grew 4 inches and we went back and he told me i had kyphosis and he missed it earlier. i COULD HAVE braced it. i just want to shoot the guy =/ just really wanted to tell people that part.

thank you.
advertisement

Comments

• I don't have any advice for you, just wanted to say hi and I'm sorry your in so much pain (and at such a young age). I can relate to a Dr ignoring symptoms, and the condition becoming worse, it's infuriating to say the least.
  • You are so young to be going through all of this and I am very sorry for that. What you are describing sounds like muscle spasms. Muscle Relaxers work well but given your age I am not sure if it is something that your doc would consider. It just so happens that I have recently found something that works very well for the spasms. You can buy it anywhere veterinarian supplies are sold ( farm and tracto supply) it is called Horsemens Dream Horse Linament. It is made for horses but works very well on humans also. It can be used up to 4 times a day. I take a hot bath and as soon as I get out, I rub it all over my low back and sometimes neck. It does get quite waem but feels good. I go to sleep and by the next morning I feel pretty good. I also use a back wrap that I got from a pharmacy. I heat it in the microwave, wrap it around my back(it has velcro closures) it lets off wet heat which is the best type of heat for muscles. You can actually sleep with it on because it will not burn. Those are the two non-narcotic ways that I control my pain. I hope this helps you. Good luck and please keep us posted.
    BTW- You may want to check with doc before trying any of these methods.
  • IF YOU HAVE ANY GROWING LEFT WHATSOEVER, GET IN A BRACE!!! I CAN'T SAY IT QUICKLY ENOUGH! TRYING ANYTHING BEFORE YOU TRY SURGERY IS WORTH IT!!!!!
    Even if it's only an inch left to grow, that's STILL skeletal development that you have left to complete. I was diagnosed when I was 12 years old with Scheuermann's kyphosis, slight scoliosis and lordosis. I have surgery this October 2009, 8 years later because mine was found too late and I refused to wear my brace like I should have. It's progressive and I had stopped growing because I had a thyroid disease as well, along with the fact that my family is natural very short. But if you still have any growing left, until you are about the age of 16 and on, try the bracing. Even if it doesn't stop the curve, you won't regret trying something. You will never forgot not trying it now and pushing for it. Sometimes doctors like to give an easy, quick fix and don't look at the body and problem as a whole. They only want to fix that specific problem.
    Bracing for scoliosis is VERY different than bracing for Kyphosis. Kyphosis bracing (the Milwakee Brace, NOT the Boston Brace!!!!) has a metal rod going up the front of the brace, with a hard plastic, padded section that rests above your breast area, but below your collar bone. This will help you with posture in trying to help with the growing kyphosis and will help you grow up straight, instead of forward. I really, really, really recommend it. High school is horrible already, and I know having a brace in high school, not being able to wear all the nice clothes and do what everybody else in gym class does is very nerve racking and defeating. But stick with it. It's just four years. You won't ever see those people again or hear mean things said about a hump on your back.
  • Hi,

I know what you are going through. I had S K from when i was twelve upon till i turned 22.
    None of my doctors knew what was wrong untill i met a genius but it was too late for a brace so i had to do a surgery. It is a 10h long surgery. You need to hurry up and have someone professional examine you, so they can provide you with a brace or advice you on what to do before you even think about doing a surgery. I lost my whole teenage life because of bunch of dumb doctors who had no knowledge in anything. If you don't do it now, you might regret it later.

If you have any questions then just let me know.

/Johannes
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.