Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Acceptance

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Depression and Coping
Acceptance of my spinal condition,the pain,the symptoms,the limitations,plays a major role in my metal health and pain level. Yesterday acceptanace crashed and burned. It happens every so often,triggered by this or that. I either become depressed or angry. Usually one followed by the other. After a day of this I return to acceptance,washed out by the roller coaster of emotions. I feel somewhat embarressed and apologetic afterward. The negitive thinking that precedes the catastrophic thinking I usually recognize and stop. I have the tools and resouce to combat this but as I mentioned It too often fails. Any ideas or suggestions? Michael :??
advertisement

Comments

• Dont fret the ups and downs K? acceptance is like bending to not break, sometimes you have to bend pretty far over though as you know. were in a different stage of life now and the old ways wont always quite work now. dont be emberrassed about falling down every now and then, its ok to do so,and your allowed, no matter what your pride or other peoples perceptions may say,or what you Think they ,may say
    It is thew getting back up that counts...ALWAYS! its not the falling down that hurts, its realising that you hae to get up to try again,there is where your courage and character is put to the rack.
    so?
    dont be afraid of the fall, it happens, and is gonna happen , were human, and its ok...
    Get on up, give your spirit a fighting chance, coz repetion is where the courage builds the strenght you need to try again!
    luck to ya !
  • keep coming back and keep recognizing the need for acceptance.

Did I miss something? Did you fall down? I read ur post twice and didn't see it. ????
  • Thank you for your replies! It helps to know it isn't just me. I did not fall at least physically. I feel like I have reached a point of acceptance but the wall crashes down from time to time usually due to elevated pain levels. I tend to look back at the pain not the improvement,I look at the future and only see the negitive. I can only see the pain of today. Wow I sure sound like a dooms dayer but I really am not. Again,just knowing that others understand makes all the difference. Ranchland made me think of an old proverb, something to the effect that it is not falling down 100 times that makes a person stronger its getting up the 101st time. Anyway thanks again =D> Mike
  • Michael K
    Planning to fail is never easy and we are sometime with the best of intention the perpetrators of our own demise in that we continue with a know strategy that does not work far beyond its usefulness.

Acceptance should be a small a, is that it impart the concept that we need to change and live in a flux rather than static situation, it is frustration when the same option we used previously does not work that is not to say that is defiantly is a bad one, we have to accept that some days we all crash and burn however experience we are and have become. The emphasis is not is the trying but in adapting to every changing conditions which chronic pain has no substitute.

Do not be too hard on yourself for the danger is not to keep trying as a consequence of failure, failure is a sifting process and develops the more positive element for future inclusion, accepting you limitation is empowering in that it enable you to realistically plan for what you can do rather than what you would like to do and acceptance of that is the hardest of things. I have things and wishes I would like to do, are they realistic or achievable, it is sometime sin the effort of attempting them that we find out that we are vulnerable and that is ok. Mastering than positive mental approach is key to improvement and once we are nearer to a best practice mode the emphasis then is on implementation rather then continuing is a downward spiral of repeated and frustrating failure.

Anger is good, it shows yourself that you could do better and an alternative option could have worked and you will use that experience for the future having learned from it, stupidity is to keep doing things that create these negative elements and the danger of depression. At all cost depression must be avoided and in that window of opportunity do we have some control of the future if not the pain itself, we have notion of how it can make us feel and behave at any given time if we let it. You are learning a lot about the inner you is a short period of time and doing well adapting to this, many would need years of experience and painful failure to come to the conclusion you have worked out for yourself and you are to be applauded. Reassess your goals from what you have learned pace well and take your time, use known experience to move forward and acknowledge to yourself what you are achieving every day..

Don’t be despondent you are doing a good job and will live a more balanced quality of life by your own effort and adaptability. We have all been where you are and feel what you feel and sought the same help as you when required.

Take care and keep posting

John =D>

• I'm right there with ya. And so are alot of us.
    One thing that was mentioned was "you keep coming back here" AWESOME STEP....

This is my outside world for now and well ok for the last year!!!

It helps me so much to get on here, help others out, im like the posting queen. lol Ok some have me beat on that one, as sometimes I'm sore and only read.
    But it does help to see what others are going through around you. And that you are never alone in this roller coaster of daily pain.

Keep on going. Do not ever let this get the best of you.
    Or it will eat away at you without notice.

HANG IN THERE KEEP READING KEEP POSTING. Your on the right track talking about it.

Terri O:) O:) O:) O:) O:)
advertisement