Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Greetings - Pending Trial for Spinal Cord Stimulator

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Chronic Pain
I am a newbie to this group. Suffering from left leg radiculopathy, low back pain, buttocks pain, etc.
Didn't respond to nerve root injections this time around - had good response to previous ones. Meds are only bandaid fix, just gets me through the day. Next course is to try out a spinal cord stimulator.

Anyone out there had success/good response with SCS?

L4/L5 fusion with instrumentation in 2005, DDD, spinal stenosis, bone spurs, left leg pain, low back pain
Meds: ultram, tramadol, darvocet, effexor
advertisement

Comments

• I really have no info on the SCS for you but wanted to welcome you to the forum. I am sure that others that have knowledge and/or experience with it will come along and offer you information. Good luck.
  • WELCOME TO THE GROUP. THERE ARE MANY HERE WHO HAVE HAD GOOD RESULTS (AND SOME WHO HAVEN'T) WITH NEUROSTIMULATORS. I'M IN THE EXACT PLACE YOU ARE--GETTING READY FOR MY TRIAL. I DID THE PSYCH EVAL LAST WEEK WEDNESDAY. ALL MY DOCS THINK I'M GOING ON VACATION THIS WEEK; THAT HAD BEEN THE PLAN. IT WOULD HAVE BEEN MY FIRST VACATION OF THE YEAR. NOW, ONE OF MY DOGS IS VERY, VERY SICK. I'M AFRAID I WON'T HAVE HER MUCH LONGER. SO, WE CANCELLED THE VACATION AND I SUPPOSE I COULD LET THE DOCS KNOW I COULD DO THE TRIAL THIS WEEK BUT I HAVE SO MUCH ON MY PLATE. ANYWAY, WELCOME. WE CAN COMPARE NOTES AS WE GO ALONG.
  • Welcome Littlebenney!

Yes there has been a lot of people with very good outcomes for the SCS. The Pain Management thread has some very good information for you. Take care and let us know if we can answer any questions.

Stockbroker - I am so sorry to hear about your beloved dog. I think you are right to wait to do the "trial SCS" until you are ready. To get the best outcome you want to be in your normal state of mind and pain levels for a good evaluation. :)

Take care of you,
    O-
  • Welcome, this is the place to find a wealth of information that you won't get from maker- actual experiences.
    There are many wonderful success stories. The one person I can think of that you can PM (private message) is Milliekeylargo.
    I must tell you my story however. The next morning after having the trial, I woke up with a fierce heachace that was worsened by raising my head. I had nausea and vomitin, along with extreme dizziness. I was sent to the ER, where they did a blood patch, where they draw blood from your arm, and inject it into the epidural space in your spine. It is supposed to seal the spinal fluid leakage. It worked immediately.
    The next day, it was back. I was sent once again to the ER, and the doctor had to come to remove the leads. It is quick with a little discomfort. I had another blood patch done. I still left the hospital with a headache, and threw up when I got home. I was like this for about 2 weeks. Even the hearing in my ear was distorted. It took that long to be rid off all the effects. No doubt it was the leads that caused this. The thought of laying flat for weeks was enough to make me think of suicide. I learned that they would have had to do surgery to fix the tear in the epidural space. Spinal headaches are very serious. You can get infected, have seizures, or worse. This is something that I care not to go thru, but understand there is always a slight risk of that when undergoing any invasive spinal procedure, like epidural injections, surgery, ct/myelograms.

I do not intend to scare you or discourage you. I believe everyone should be aware of this risk. The bigger the needle, the bigger the risk.

I wish you the best with your trial, and if it works, I hope it helps with your pain. I had an L4-S! fusion with hardware (TLIF) and laminectomy, and I may face the possibility of having this or a morphine pump if I don't improve in 6 months. Take care and keep us posted. >:D<

Stockbroker, I hope your dog get better. I'm real sorry >:D<
  • Meydey,

How is Millie? Haven't seen her here for ages? She used to be one of the most active members and was real enthusiastic after she received her SCS. We used to both work together to answer questions for members on spinal cord stimulators.

If she will respond to a PM, I take it she must be still around? Is her SCS still doing well?

"C"
  • So sorry to hear about your beloved pet. I agree that you should wait until you are mentally ready. I am scheduled for my temporary implant on Friday, Nov.7. Wish is was sooner. I'm hopeful that it will reduce my pain so that I can get back to some "normal" activities.

Keep it touch and let me know how things go for you.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.