Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Why regular TLIF over Minimally Invasive TLIF?

Sparky123SSparky123 Posts: 133
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Does anyone know why some doctors are doing a regular TLIF surgery over Minimally Invasive TLIF? Isn't Minimally Invasive a lot less harder on the patient? Are just some doctors not qualified to do the less Invasive sugery? Is Minimally Invasive a new surgery? By what I've read on here, it seems the people who get the Minimally Invasive surgery are up and about and recovered faster.
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Sparky,as with all of these spinal techniques, there is special training required to do the minimally invasive surgery, so some docs don,t know how. Also there is special equipment required which their hospital would have to have purchased. My surgeon said he and his partner were doing them for a while, but found it was taking longer, and they weren,t seeing any benefit in their patients. My surgeon is meticulous, taking 5-7 hours to do a fusion, so maybe that is why he found it longer. Now others would say they are faster and less painful, so I guess it varies with docs. He offered to attempt it with me, but I declined. I would rather he do what he was most used to. As it turned out my spine was extremely unstable, more so than what showed on my flexion/extension xrays, so it was better it was an open procedure. Ihave seen others post that it was not an option do to the severity of their spinal problem. Did you see the video I posted a while back?
    http://www.or-live.com/genesishealth/1677/

Take care, Sue
  • I had a minimally invasive tlif done 13 days ago and am very happy with it. The surgery took about one and one half hours.Over the previous two years I had minimally invasive discectomies done twice with no real lasting success. I spent 3 days in the hospital and walked out with no assistance to my car to be driven home. The first week was no fun but since then I have gone to the mall or walked my dog a mle each day. I have about a 3 inch scar that was sealed with durabon. My doctor has done about 30 of these after doing hundreds of the more invasive procedures. Hope your surgery is a success.
  • mduke57311 said:
    I had a minimally invasive tlif done 13 days ago and am very happy with it. The surgery took about one and one half hours.Over the previous two years I had minimally invasive discectomies done twice with no real lasting success. I spent 3 days in the hospital and walked out with no assistance to my car to be driven home. The first week was no fun but since then I have gone to the mall or walked my dog a mle each day. I have about a 3 inch scar that was sealed with durabon. My doctor has done about 30 of these after doing hundreds of the more invasive procedures. Hope your surgery is a success.
    One and a half hours, WOW! I guess mine will be double (2 level) but still. My doc said I will be pretty sore for 2 weeks but then it should be much better. Did your surgeon use the Sextant system or something different? Also, what kind of pain meds are you on?
  • 1.5 hours?? That's pretty freakin' fast. I think my MicroD took longer than that. That's cool, though. Sounds like you had a good surgery! 3 inches is small! I have two 3 inch diagonal scars on my back, two 1 inch vertical scars on my back, and a 6 inch vertical scar on my stomach, and I thought mine was on the smaller side. 6 hour surgery, too, and staples, which I also thought was short and sweet. I didn't realize fusion surgery had progressed to a point like yours. That's awesome. Really awesome. I can only imagine how things will be decades from now. All the technological advances they'll have made!
  • Just curious how they use the Sextant system when they're not doing it centered in the middle of the back? Do they make a special Sextant system for TLIF's?

Cali-Sue. I feel you on the open procedures. My surgeon was just going to make small incisions just big enough for the screws, but thankfully she made them big enough because she scraped out a bunch of scar tissue around my nerve roots, that were pressing on my nerves still.
advertisement